Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A search for a simple overcoat...

Steve

Practically Family
The winter is approaching, and contrary to popular belief, Florida gets quite damp and biting from late December to early April. I've been looking for a good overcoat to wear out, but I'm having a hard time finding one that I like, and I was hoping that some of you fine folks could help me out.

I'm looking for something simple. There is a trench coat of my father's at my disposal, but I've never liked that style too much, too many pieces making up one garment. I like the look of a man's opera coat, but the lapels aren't quite as wide as I like. Is there a hybrid in existence?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not as "busy" as a trench and just as much a classic.

35_12.JPG

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
That looks very similar to my new London Fog, which is great for cool and rainy days. It has a removable liner to accomodate a wider range in temperatures.

Although they aren't quite the same quality as they used to be, they are still very nice coats.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
SinatraStyle said:
That looks very similar to my new London Fog, which is great for cool and rainy days. It has a removable liner to accomodate a wider range in temperatures.

Although they aren't quite the same quality as they used to be, they are still very nice coats.

There's nothing like the versatile London Fog for almost year round wear. I brought a new one last year. I hope it lasts as long as my first one did.

Old Overcoat.

One thing that I remember being mention is that early overcoats (20's-30's?) were much longer coming down to about the ankles. That style is tough to find in a modern overcoat.

In "Last Man Standing" Christopher Walken ("Hickey"?) wears the long style in some scenes.

columbusdrifter

New in Town
I have a coat just like Walken's in Last Man Standing. Taupe gabardine, and it hits me at the ankles.

And I'm 6' 2".

It's got the zipper for the liner, but I don't have one yet. If I can find another coat with the same teeth, I'll think nothing of pirating it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
John in Covina said:
overcoats (20's-30's?) were much longer coming down to about the ankles. That style is tough to find in a modern overcoat.

Ankle length coats are very impractical as the hem tends to "clean" every staircase one ascends or descends.:eusa_doh:

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Ankle length coats are very impractical as the hem tends to "clean" every staircase one ascends or descends.:eusa_doh:

On the plus side, makes it easier to carry your Chicago Typewriter discretely.

Life's a series of gives and takes. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR