Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A (short) dream realized...

Who among you doesn't know how much I love Barbara Stanwyck? Well, it just so happens that the house used in the 1944 classic Double Indemnity is a mere 20 minutes from my apartment. So, seeing as how tonight's Noir City screening isn't until 7:30pm and I have hours to kill, I decided to finally take the drive up into the Hollywood Hills to get a look at the house.

Let me make this clear, it was in THE HILLS....WAYYYY up in the hills. The roads are VERY narrow and hug each other in opposite directions. It's so tight and cramped up in those hills that I don't know how anyone can live up there. I digress.

The house itself is a private residence. Only the exterior was used in Double Indemnity; the inside shots were naturally shot on a sound stage. The good news is that the house is virtually unchanged since its 1944 screen appearance. I guess the owners must know the house's significance and chose not to remodel it. It's still in great shape. Here's the house in the film and then the photo I took. (I only snapped one quick photo and left. I just wasn't in the mood to be arrested. Granted, no one appeared to be around but I felt like someone was watching me through the window. It IS a very rich area and residents are usually weary of people "hanging around").

dibeforeab9.jpg

diafterrl8.jpg

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, MP! Glad to got to see it.

I haven't seen that house in person, but I've driven those hills a few times. Not in a car, mind you, but in a truck. A big box of a truck! So, if you think the roads are tight when in a car . . . ! :eek:

I'll have to make the trip up to see the house someday soon.

Lee

I can get a big truck into tighter spots than you've ever been in with your car. lol

MrNewportCustom said:
Very nice, MP! Glad to got to see it.

I haven't seen that house in person, but I've driven those hills a few times. Not in a car, mind you, but in a truck. A big box of a truck! So, if you think the roads are tight when in a car . . . ! :eek:

I'll have to make the trip up to see the house someday soon.

Lee

Well let me know if you need the address :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran