Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A special and rare VISIT tomorrow- visiting a widow's WWII collection

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I hope this is the correct place to post this. Tomorrow our entire family (we have a 12-3/4yo son and 14-3/4yo daughter) will have the opportunity to meet and talk with talk with a 90yo widow. Her husband was in WWII and recently passed away. She has a room in her house with a collection of his things from WWII, that we will be privileged to see. The friend that told us about her and the collection has arranged for us to go with him to visit her. She is looking forward to meeting us and showing us the things her husband and she saved from the war era. I'm hoping to ask her about her own experiences during the war too, not just stories about her husband. Of course we will bring the digital camera. Maybe take the video camera too and she'll perhaps agree to let us interview her on film. We are all going to dress in our real vintage 1940s garb to see her, I'll have just finished getting my hair done by a hairdresser in the city (S.F.) that specializes in vintage hairdos so the timing for this is practically perfect.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
First Pic:WWII medals,badges

This was an amazing, amazing visit!! I cannot begin to tell you what we saw and heard about at the widow's home in Los Altos, CA. The officer was Col. Fred J. Knorre, Jr. of the Air Force.

Much, more info and pics of photographs of album pictures, framed photographs, journals and memorabilia of this couple's life and her husband's military career will be forthcoming to FL.

The widow Evelyn and her caregiver Marlene were very gracious and glad we came, they will be letting us come again to talk and photograph further.

I will be setting up a separate album for this on my Picture Trail - so that all the pics can be viewed at any time, by anyone on the net- not just FL members. So far, its got just one pic in the album- here it is as a start...

361690375.jpg

bbc1969

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey said:
This was an amazing, amazing visit!! I cannot begin to tell you what we saw and heard about at the widow's home in Los Altos, CA. The officer was Col. Fred J. Knorre, Jr. of the Air Force.

Much, more info and pics of photographs of album pictures, framed photographs, journals and memorabilia of this couple's life and her husband's military career will be forthcoming to FL.

The widow Evelyn and her caregiver Marlene were very gracious and glad we came, they will be letting us come again to talk and photograph further.

I will be setting up a separate album for this on my Picture Trail - so that all the pics can be viewed at any time, by anyone on the net- not just FL members. So far, its got just one pic in the album- here it is as a start...

361690375.jpg

Very interesting. Evelyn must be very proud of her late husband. A quick glance of your photo indicates he was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Air Medal. I am not sure, but I think the first one on the left is the DSM.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
bbc1969 said:
Very interesting. Evelyn must be very proud of her late husband. A quick glance of your photo indicates he was awarded the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, and the Air Medal. I am not sure, but I think the first one on the left is the DSM.

I believe that the first one on the left is the Air Force Cross. The fourth from the left is the Air Medal. Appears that he was also in the Reserves (bottom row, second medal from the left). Impressive reminders of an impressive record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR