Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aargh! Vintage varsity jacket woes...

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Bought a nice vintage varsity jacket off Ebay, described by the seller as in B- condition, and with leather sleeves that needed a clean... thought, that's OK, I kinda dig the yellowing of the leather... around £40 including shipping (USPS Priority Airmail, which cost almost twice the price of the jacket!)... tonite, when my wife got back home, she said, "is this that jacket you got off Ebay? I found it in next door's front yard!" Not only had the postman obviously left it outside out front door (which they're deffo not s'posed to do), but some toe rag had picked nicked the package, then decided that the jacket was trashed and threw it onto our neighbour's frontage! And it can't have been today, as I saw the postie go past our window and not stop!

They were right, the sleeves are OK but the seller never mentioned the multiple moth nips on the body (it's black melton so they didn't show in the pix), the hugely stained'n'smelly lining and the countless holes in the cuffs and collar (not ragged, just multiple small holes, EVERYWHERE!)...

Needless to say, although this has rarely happened to me in many years of Ebaying, I'm still pretty teed-off and have emailed the seller in a kinda calm (but deffo WTF?) kinda manner. Ain't expecting much in way of recompense...

Just venting, sorry! :rolleyes:

The ironic thing is that the chenille patch on the jacket is an H, my surname initial, with 'state' written thru it, and now I'm in a right one! :eeek:

165104_10150384527990471_725635470_16831163_2904875_n.jpg

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer
It does look decent in the pic but B- condition? It's a D- to me.

If the seller doesn't offer a refund, open a claim with ebay and the reason "item not as described".

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
The joys of buying vintage stuff on ebay eh?

I'd let the seller know your complaints with the condition and poor description. You have the upper hand here as the buyer but may I suggest there might not have been any intention to deceive. Some people just don't have the communication skills needed to sell stuff on line, especially vintage. They may offer a refund on return but that would set you further out of pocket. It all depends on if you can make use of it. If you can't you can always move it on yourself on ebay.co.uk as a cool old varsity jacket like that should make £40 over here even with all faults mentioned.

I've had some blinding good deals buying on ebay ;) as well as some okayish ones :eek:hwell: and a handful of stinkers :(. Mind you to be fair selling vintage isn't always easy either. I've had to deal with one or two right plonkers that begs belief :confused:.

The situation with the postman leaving the parcel out is just mad and I guess you plan to let him or her know what happened. I wonder how often when stuff goes missing is it down to them being left out and taken?

Ho-hum...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner