Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About to be "back in the game"...order placed

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Good morning Fellow Loungers,

I have been lurking on here, more or less, for the better part of the last 8 years. I have gone through many jackets, colors, and hide-types and each time I have learned a little something about my preferences and habits.

I have owned (5) Aero jackets, a Thedi, a Schott, a Vanson, and a few other "unmentionables".

My first Aero was a brown CXL Cafe Racer. Followed by a larger brown CXL Sheene (Thank you Thurston Bros.). Next I had a too large black CXL cafe racer that I picked up from a lounger. Then I had a brown CXL Highwayman. Finally another, more properly sized, black CXL cafe racer.

What have I learned from all of this? Mainly that CXL, while immensely beautiful, is just not comfortable to me as a daily wear leather.

I just placed an order for another Cafe Racer in Battered Steerhide. I can't wait for this one and truly hope that it is a nice balance between a too-light goat and a too stiff/heavy/thick CXL.

I will post photos when she comes in. No idea what Aero's backlog is at the moment, and we all know it can sometimes be as long as 3-4 months. I sure hope not! ;-)

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
CXL starts off very stiff, as you know, but it can soften considerably, and when it does it becomes even more amazing. I'm not sure how long this takes, as I have so many jackets that none gets that much wear very quickly, and probably won't during my lifetime at this rate. But one of my used Aero pickups is a Board Racer jacket that is made from CXL FQHH, and it is fully broken in, the leather is amazingly soft, supple, and you wouldn't believe it from seeing a new, fresh hide that this is what it can turn into. I'm sure the process can be accelerated in a number of ways, but if you stick with these jackets for the long haul you will be rewarded for it. If you find it too uncomfortable at first, I would recommend wadding it up and using it as a pillow, or sticking it in the dryer with the heat off and a 3-4 softballs for an hour or two. Or just endure it, and wear the thing constantly, as much as possible for a few weeks, and let it break in proper and mold to your body.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on your new order! The battered tan steerhide is one of my favorite leathers to look at i’m sure it will make a beautiful café racer.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Thank you everyone. Yes, a few months ago, Aero put out a free pamphlet. All you had to do was fill in your address and they mailed it out. There was a single photo of "Battered Steerhide", I think it may have been a vest, but MAN it spoke to me. Had the color and grain that I have been searching for. I had the bright idea that it may look good in a cafe racer, so I dialed up their website and to my surprise it was not among the choices. I ended up calling Aero and speaking to the production manager and she told me, "sure we could do one in the BSH, but it wouldn't be as "rigid" of a look and may not provide as much protection against sliding down a concrete road at highway speeds". But she said it would probably look and feel great. That was 5 months ago and I couldn't stop thinking of how cool it MAY look. I sure hope I haven't make a $1k mistake, but in my mind it will look good. Here's to hoping! :)

Mr Knight

Familiar Face
It took me two jackets to come to terms with the fact that both my preference & patience are not compatible with CXL FQHH. I had a Board Racer made out of it that I didn’t gel with because I thought it was the design so I ended up part exchanging it against a Premier Highwayman in blackened brown Vicenza which I’m currently happy with but a recent chance encounter with a fellow Aero owner may have delivered some damaging enlightenment.

Essentially I got chatting to someone in Manchester today at a well known vintage fair who I noticed was rocking a Board Racer, we struck up a conversation about Aero and it turned out he was wearing the same size jacket I take and it was made out of Vicenza! I took the chance to cheekily ask him if I could try it on and apart from the slight sleeve length difference it fitted perfect........damn.

The moral of the story being the different hide can have a crazy amount of difference on the fit of a jacket!

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Wow! Yes I was “This close” to choosing Vicenza, but I was worried that it may fade color onto my clothes underneath it. Is it really the cat’s meow? I still have time to change my mind.

Mattofumi

New in Town
I have a Premier Highwayman in blackened brown Vicenza and there’s no colour transfer onto other clothes that I’ve noticed. It’s pretty tough top layer. Doesn’t wear that fast.

Last edited:

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Okay, so I must amend this post. I ended up switching to an Aero Royale in Russet Vicenza. I will post photos when she arrives and, based on what I can find, TFL desperately needs to fit photos of the Royale. I can only find 6-10 photos of the jacket online.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
Okay, so I must amend this post. I ended up switching to an Aero Royale in Russet Vicenza. I will post photos when she arrives and, based on what I can find, TFL desperately needs to fit photos of the Royale. I can only find 6-10 photos of the jacket online.
The Royale is the jacket I keep on looking at for my next Aero order. I love the style. There's a great review of one from a couple of months ago here on TFL.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
So more changes....sigh. I know Holly wants to wring my neck. I have changed the order no less than 3 times. I think I am settled now. I showed my wife the "Royale" and she was like "um...kay". That is wife code for, "I hope you like it, but don't expect me to think you look good in it".

So today, I emailed Holly and changed my order (for the last time) to the Premier 1930's Highwayman. This jacket meets both mine and my wife's approval. Sorry for all of the changes.

What is even more cool? Holly told me her folks saw this post online and were worried about my combination choices for the original cafe racer build. I thought it was cool that they must lurk around here like all of the rest of us.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
...last time...hahaha....

So I spoke with Holly today and she let me know that if the 44 highwayman fit me perfectly that I best not order the "Premier" variety, as it would likely be too tight/slim on me. I have VERY broad and pronounced shoulders. So now I am almost back at square one. "Should I just go with another regular Highwayman", I am asking myself. I really wanted something different, but with all that I know and all that I am learning, I am beginning to feel the regular highwayman is my jacket.

Do any of you have any additional input on the topic? I have basically asked Aero if they could put an Aeromarine back on a Royale, but I am quite sure the answer would be a sharp "No". So I have to have a "Plan B". My Plan B, I am thinking, is leaning heavily toward a regular highwayman. Here is a photo of my last one with 27" sleeves.

I just really want a slimmer fit in the torso.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the 1930’s halfbelt might be what you are after. I believe this model has quite a bit more taper then the Highwayman. I have owned three Highwayman now, just received the most recent one yesterday. They are great jackets but there is almost no taper from chest to waist.
Another suggestion I might offer you is to hit the pause button on this order at least until after the holidays. You have been bouncing from jacket to jacket and you might want to slow down and take a little time to figure out what it is you really want. Just a thought.

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I think the 1930’s halfbelt might be what you are after. I believe this model has quite a bit more taper then the Highwayman. I have owned three Highwayman now, just received the most recent one yesterday. They are great jackets but there is almost no taper from chest to waist.
Another suggestion I might offer you is to hit the pause button on this order at least until after the holidays. You have been bouncing from jacket to jacket and you might want to slow down and take a little time to figure out what it is you really want. Just a thought.

Well, here is what I ended up with after MUCH debate. Now that the order has been placed, the waiting game begins :)

[url=https://ibb.co/XV437Rt] [/URL]

Screen-Shot-2020-01-08-at-6-24-47-AM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB