Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

About to order a Waldo Pepper...

Mark

Practically Family
Hello Loungers

I have succumbed to the urge to add to my humble collection of three jackets. I have an agreement with myself that any new jacket I purchase must differ from all the others that I own. My current collection consists of a Highwayman, A2 & an Irvin. This time I fancy some thing with buttons and in Russet (a colour I do not have). I toyed with the idea of an Aeromarine/Aeronaught but felt uneasy about the collar. I also thought about a Teamster or similar style but reakon that style would not suit me. So have settled (well almost!) on a BK Waldo Pepper in Russet. I love the look of this jacket and the buttons really help it to stand out from anything else i'v seen. The pockets I think are also a really nice shape. My question/s to you are; What are your thoughts about BK in general, quality, hides and customer service? Which of the hides should I consider (I am totally ignorant of this area, Victory, Badalase and so on). With respect to measurements, any tips/considerations.
BK jackets are not cheap and as i'v no previous with this company I want be sure I get it right.
Thank you gentlemen in anticipation.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I would check out their russet capeskin. BK will provide measurements upon request. Here's a photo of it from the page (you have to scroll wayyy down to find the A-1 photos).

image.jpg

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have a BK M-422 and the company was very professional to deal with. My jacket has great workmanship and is extremely high quality. Fits perfect too! You can ask for leather samples and judge which russet hide you like the best. Good luck!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Extremely happy with my experience of the Type A-1 (in the seal version of the same, very fine capeskin).
Excellent service and workmanship of a very high order.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys, the russet capeskin is really lovely Nick123. I missed that, didn't scroll down far enough. I have heard Capeskin (sheep skin?) is a bit fragile and prone to tears and the like. Good to know Thor & Dr H that your experience with BK has been positive. I am still awaiting a reply from BK with my initial inquiries (last Thursday), is that normal with BK?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys, the russet capeskin is really lovely Nick123. I missed that, didn't scroll down far enough. I have heard Capeskin (sheep skin?) is a bit fragile and prone to tears and the like. Good to know Thor & Dr H that your experience with BK has been positive. I am still awaiting a reply from BK with my initial inquiries (last Thursday), is that normal with BK?

From what I've read here (not having ever owned a cape jacket), you might want to be a bit more careful with it. I wouldn't get it as my first or only jacket. You have several now, so I think the cape would be a nice supplement to your collection. And the A-1 looks the best when it drapes well, which cape gives you.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I love the Waldo Pepper jacket. I picked this avatar way before BK started making them. I settled on a nice (to me) Lost Worlds A1 I got on ebay, which is pretty close. I don't remember exactly; but I think the cost was $275, which I consider a pretty good deal. A2s are nice and all that, but I like the A1 (and the Waldo Pepper) better. The buttons are great, especially when you don't do the bottom ones. Good luck with your order.

P.S. I have an 1927 Sears Catalog reprint and there are mucho leather jackets therein. It seemed like capeskin was the go-to hide and the copy really praised it as the best there is.

P.P.S. If anyone hasn't seen "The Great Waldo Pepper," they really should. They don't make movies like that anymore. Nowadays it's all "tent pole" franchises that have to pull in audiences world-wide, especially China, and aren't much into dialog or distinctly American subject matter.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If anyone hasn't seen "The Great Waldo Pepper," they really should. They don't make movies like that anymore. Nowadays it's all "tent pole" franchises that have to pull in audiences world-wide, especially China.

Sorry, Tent Pole? i'm afraid I am not familiar with that term.
Agree about films though. Now it's all screeching tyres and things blowing up with too much computer works.
J

Feraud

Bartender
P.P.S. If anyone hasn't seen "The Great Waldo Pepper," they really should. They don't make movies like that anymore. Nowadays it's all "tent pole" franchises that have to pull in audiences world-wide, especially China, and aren't much into dialog or distinctly American subject matter.
Agreed. One of my favorites.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks Vespizzare, love to see some pics of your Waldo. I am cursing myself at the moment with fresh doubts! A tad uncertain about the collar on the Waldo, looks ever so slightly awkward, like an after thought. Given the price it's got to be right don't you agree? Anyhow my attention is now turning to the A1. Bk does a lovely example going by the web site pics and I kinda like the knit collar which surprises me. But here comes another dilemma, Aero do one as well and its best part of £200. cheaper but it don't look quite as good, particularly the pockets which are so much nicer on BK's version. Oh dear decisions, decisions. What do you guys think..Waldo, Aero A1 or BK A1?
Thanks chaps

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Thanks Vespizzare, love to see some pics of your Waldo. I am cursing myself at the moment with fresh doubts! A tad uncertain about the collar on the Waldo, looks ever so slightly awkward, like an after thought. Given the price it's got to be right don't you agree? Anyhow my attention is now turning to the A1. Bk does a lovely example going by the web site pics and I kinda like the knit collar which surprises me. But here comes another dilemma, Aero do one as well and its best part of £200. cheaper but it don't look quite as good, particularly the pockets which are so much nicer on BK's version. Oh dear decisions, decisions. What do you guys think..Waldo, Aero A1 or BK A1?
Thanks chaps

Regarding the pic: I'm too lazy and it's just a Lost Worlds A1, like on their website.

Personally, I like the leather collar. I like what i have, but I like the Waldo Pepper better. I figure if it's good enough for Edith Head and Robert Redford, it's good enough for me.

Mark

Practically Family
Excellent point Vespizzare and doesn't Redford look so cool in that jacket.
Cheers.
Regarding the pic: I'm too lazy and it's just a Lost Worlds A1, like on their website.

Personally, I like the leather collar. I like what i have, but I like the Waldo Pepper better. I figure if it's good enough for Edith Head and Robert Redford, it's good enough for me.

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks guys seems BK is the one to go for. Thanks for the offer Dr H, could I just settle for your opinion and thoughts about your A1, particularly the collar?
What's an Admiral A1 Schitzo?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys seems BK is the one to go for. Thanks for the offer Dr H, could I just settle for your opinion and thoughts about your A1, particularly the collar?
What's an Admiral A1 Schitzo?

Check it out on facebook. Bill Kelso purveyor of fine leather jackets.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
No problem, Mark. The collar knit has to be right with the A-1 - or else it lets the whole jacket down (along with the other key details, like the lighter, more flexible hide).
Some of the modern manufacturers make a simple tube knit with buttons/leather loops and this sits really poorly when folded. The knit isn't a simple band - for many of the original Type A-1 jackets there is a slight rise to the back of the knit (so it sits higher at the back than it does at the front - comfortably under the chin with enough fabric at the back to make a roll collar when folded).
I've been through a stack of Type A-1 repros from several manufacturers to make comparisons - the collars on John Chapman's A-1 have a good profile, and the Bill Kelso jackets are equally good in this department.
I have two Type A-1 repros now: a great ELC 0.50 cal in capeskin and a Bill Kelso Type A-1 with a single button collar (there are images of both along with the other jackets on FL). The ELC jacket is great and I wear it as a beater (dog walking, gardening, etc.): so comfortable and the timeworn treatment has been done very subtly (no sandpaper) so it looks very well worn and casual. However, when I bought it the collar knit was wrong (it was too low at the back and didn't form a good collar). At the time I had one of the Good Wear Leather jackets and had the collar knit profile copied exactly using some knit material supplied by ELC. The tough part was the 'open jacket surgery' on the 0.50 cal - removing the old collar, realigning the lining and capeskin shell and sewing in the new knit by hand. Not for the faint hearted and again there are images elsewhere on FL.

However, now the jacket is perfect for me and a keeper - perfect fit straight off the rack (see below at Brooklands Aviation Day, 2014 at the weekend).

I worked with the guys at Bill Kelso to work up the pattern below (with a modified collar - single button, wider loop and a more pointed profile when folded down), based on period photos. It's a dressier jacket - more supple hide, neater collar, more profiled pockets, darker seal. I don't wear it in the same way - more likely to wear it to work (unlikely to wear it walking the dog in the woods)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner