Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

Mojito

One Too Many
Lol! Yes, I can't imagine anyone could find pure Australian Strine overly attractive. Our "eggzins" can be rather unattractive! Other variations are all right - I'm pleased that one American friend told me I sounded remarkably like Cate Blanchett (I don't, other than a superficial national resemblance, and no Aussie would pick it).

I've got an odd accent - bit all over the map. Was identified by other Australians as "American" following 3 yrs in NY and 3 yrs in an American school in Singapore. Then after nearly 5 yrs in England, the Aussies thought I sounded British. The Brits themselves, however, were thrown - they knew it wasn't English, but it didn't sound Australian. I was often asked if it was NZ or Saffa.

Came home for holidays once, and after a few days with the family and friends and a few drinks, my Canadian boyfriend of the time was thrown by how much my accent changed on home sod.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I love Irish and Scottish accents, even though sometimes I can't understand half the words! It takes me awhile to adjust.

Normally I'm not that into New Zealand accents, but there's an exchange student in one of my classes from there and I just love the way she speaks. She always sounds like 10x smarter than anyone else too. ;)

It's not quite an accent in terms of foreigner-speaking-English, but I love the way Mexican Spanish sounds when spoken. I guess I also love the "Chicano" accent too.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
English (British) gets me every time.

Swoon!

Then Cajun a la Gambit (Remy LeBeau). Oops I think I just spilled my nerd guts all over the Lounge! :eek:

green papaya

One Too Many
Native American

I like the way native americans talk in the old westerns

like how Tonto talks in the Lone Ranger

or like the plains indians in the movie Dances with Wolves

Buffalo = "TA TONKA"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
green papaya said:
Native American

I like the way native americans talk in the old westerns

like how Tonto talks in the Lone Ranger

or like the plains indians in the movie Dances with Wolves

Buffalo = "TA TONKA"

Chinese American

I like the way that Chinese Americans talk in the old mystery/adventure flicks

like how Charlie Chan talks in those movies of his ;)

Chip off the old block = "NUMBAH WAN SON"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I love dialects -- the worst thing that ever happened to the English language was the notion that everyone needs to talk the same homogenized radio-announcer Standard in order to be socially acceptable. That I had to lose my own Maine dialect in order to work in broadcasting made it all the more upsetting.

That said, it'd be impossible for me to choose a favorite -- I'm fascinated by everything from Cockney to Gullah.

If you've got an accent, be proud of it. Language should be music, not monotony.

marquise

Familiar Face
Miss Lucy June said:
That website is AWESOME! Neat. I have to say though Coastal Carolina sounds a lot different then those listed, more like Savannah, GA. Thanks for the link!

As a Savannahian of five years, who converses with many local Savannahians, I can testify that the accent is very similar to the Coastal SC (Read: Charleston) accent- "Southern Belle", drawly, relaxed sound, with an Anglo streak stemming from Anglo-Irish heritage. The "hospitality management" guy on the website is a pretty good example of this. It is, no surprise, my favorite American accent, besides the Louisiana Creole dialects.

I myself have a nondescript accent, with alternating Brooklyn Jewish emphasis when angry. (Cawfee?)

Otherwise, the New Zealander accent I find very endearing. And Irish is quite sexy.

Most Charming

I love some of the English accents but I don't really know enough about them to connect much with the area of origin. I might add that when I hear / see a Black woman speaking with an English accent I just get mesmerized. The early MTV announcer "Downtown" Julie Brown I think it was, had that effect on me.[huh]

green papaya

One Too Many
Chief Dan George

book_BestChiefDanGeo.jpg

anybody remember this man? Chief Dan George

I like the way he sounds when he talks, he sounds cool ! :)

he's been in numerous westerns including the movie starring Clint Eastwood "The Outlaw Joesy Wales"

Brooksie

One Too Many
I also love the Brittish accents - all of them.

I lived in Texas for almost a year and durring this time I picked up a little bit of a drawl, when I moved back to Oregon one of my co-workers heard me talking and said Oh my gosh are you from Dallas? (I lived about an hour and a half from Dallas) my co-worker had spent a lot of time visiting Dallas. I thought it was so funny that a person could pick out the exact area of where I lived just from how I talked! I have been back in Oregon for over a year and the drawl is pretty much all gone, except when I come in contact with other Texans then a little bit of comes out again. Every now in then I will talk like this just for the fun of it :p and people will say to me are you from Dallas/Ft.Worth?

Brooksie

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aye...

I'm a bloody scouser meself! There's English, and then there's Scouse!...the language of Liverpool! I could sell the Echo on a corner in the pedestrian district on any foggy morning, I'm sure! ;)

-dixon cannon

P.S. In speaking with my girl, she says I should mention my accent talent! I envy the late Peter Sellers for his mastery of accents - I do a pretty good job with most of them, I'm told. From Apu at the Quicky-Mart, to Scotty on the Enterprise! I often have conversations with myself! lol

P.P.S. Anybody got that Geordi lilt!??

Viola

Call Me a Cab
marquise said:
I myself have a nondescript accent, with alternating Brooklyn Jewish emphasis when angry. (Cawfee?)

...there's another way to say coffee? I am confused!

But my accent is strongly Philadelphian. I took a regional accent test online once, as all my online friends had, and they were getting big regions like Upper Midwest or West Coast or South and I got "Philadelphia; if you're not from there, you're from South Jersey or Wilmington DE." :eek: :eek:

-Viola

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
I'm a bloody scouser meself! There's English, and then there's Scouse!...the language of Liverpool! I could sell the Echo on a corner in the pedestrian disctrict on any foggy morning, I'm sure! ;)

-dixon cannon

P.S. In speaking with my girl, she says I should mention my accent talent! I envy the late Peter Sellers for his mastery of accents - I do a pretty good job with most of them, I'm told. From Apu at the Quicky-Mart, to Scotty on the Enterprise! I often have conversations with myself! lol

P.P.S. Anybody got that Geordi lilt!??

Great you're the entertainment for our next event!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Oh, I almost forgot, I love Minnesotan accents! I've been listening to a podcast lately out of Minneapolis and I just love the way they talk! There's just something cute about it.

Lizzie, that's awful that you had to lose your dialect! When I moved to California when I was 8 I lost a lot of my Long Island accent (which is probably a good thing! ;)) because everyone would make fun of me. I still say some words the Long Island way (haaaaahrrible instead of horrible, ahhhhrange instead of orange, and I don't pronounce the "h" on words like human) because I just have never managed to say them the California way. Californian accents are totally boring anyway! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass