Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Accents, whats your Favourite?????

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hondo said:
If I had to pick one, I’d say the British or Liverpool; I think they call it “cockney” mainly because I grew up during the Beatles or British music invasion. Next might the just European (Welsh is cool, Richard Burton) and although I speak no French, I get romantic with French accents ;)

Hi Hondo, Cockney is East London, sing-song; the original rap! Michael Caine is Cockney (witness he and Mike Meyers in 'Austin Powers'). The Lads from Liverpool are Scouse! (Remember the Monkee's tune "Randy Scouse Git"?...that title has a meaning in Scouse!).

Sont les mots qui vont tr?®s bien ensemble, mon freuer!

-dixon cannon

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
What could beat a Posh British accent......Think of these guys:

Leslie Phillips
Terry Thomas
David Niven
Richard Burton

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
my accent gets me into trouble (i used to do live internet radio shows ) :D

i'm told it is very scottish , though obviously i don't notice it .

for me i like soft accents ....irish , welsh .... soft american nice lilting almost musical

K

killertomata

dundeedavie said:
my accent gets me into trouble (i used to do live internet radio shows ) :D

i'm told it is very scottish , though obviously i don't notice it .

Dreamy! I was just about reply and say, "Scottish" when I saw your reply. Scottish men sound amazing to me. I think I might not be such a Craig Ferguson fan if he didn't have that dreamy brogue. :le sigh:

So in love with the Scottish way of speaking. And I do like a Russian accent as well. But not nearly as much. :)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoy listening to most accents, I guess especially Scottish, Irish and all the different American ones most of all. I think a woman speaking with a Russian or Slavic accent is really sexy.

A friend of mine who's originally from Sacramento once jokingly told me that there are no 'T's in the Australian accent. To prove it, he asked me to count from thirteen upwards. I replied, "Thirdeen, fourdeen, fifdeen, sixdeen, seveneen, eighdeen, nine-een and twnenny." Hmmm, point taken . . .

I have been told I have a very strong accent by visitors from overseas, and I have to admit I hate the sound of my voice when I've heard radio interviews I've done played back to me. Aussies will understand what my accent's like when I say this: my mother sounds like a female version of Maurie Fields! lol

J

JohnTheGreek

Swedish...with a touch of "colonial" East African English. :) The rifle and landcrusier, of course, only enhance the appeal of the accent. :D

KVINNA-01s00-storvilt-53_368.jpg

8797f020ef.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I like a wide variety

One of my favorites is Northern Louisiana. It has a nice lilt but is still understandable.
The funniest are Americans doing a "British" accent and Britons doing an "American" accent.lol

Sincerely,
the Wolf

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I’m a sucker for any accent from the UK/Ireland. Which reminds me of a story.

A dear friend of mine, Vivienne, grew up in Dublin but married in the US and lives outside of Boston. When her first daughter, Ella, started to speak I mentioned how lovely it was that her little girl inherited her accent. Viv gave me a look and said, half jokingly “Have you heard the child? That’s not Dublin, she sounds like she’s from County Clare! But we don’t know anyone from County Clare, so where did that come from, I ask you!”

It got me to thinking about all the presuppositions we can have about people just by their accent. For instance, I’ve got a pretty good ear for American accents—beyond just a “Midwestern accent” I can usually tell if somebody’s from Iowa vs Wisconsin, etc. and without thinking I’ll make suppositions based on where people are from (which I do my best to erase when I am thinking about it). I think I do that much less with folks from other countries, maybe because I have only a vague idea of what characteristics people from various regions are "supposed" to have.

I don't think I really have an accent normally but I'll automatically slip into a nasal, flat Minnesotan cadence if I'm speaking to someone from the Midwest. I always have to remember to mention that I'm not imitating them, it's just the accent I grew up with coming out.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
killertomata said:
Dreamy! I was just about reply and say, "Scottish" when I saw your reply. Scottish men sound amazing to me. I think I might not be such a Craig Ferguson fan if he didn't have that dreamy brogue. :le sigh:

So in love with the Scottish way of speaking. And I do like a Russian accent as well. But not nearly as much. :)

why thank you m'dear (and i you picture that a la brian cox (actor) you get the idea ) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR