Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Advocate Glamoure all the time..."

Naama

Practically Family
to quote Ms. Van Teese (or is it Mrs. already?)

For some time now, I was(and I'm still) pretty sick. I guess I don't have to mention that I also don't look all that glamoureus at the moment...... And as the lazy times go by, I look more forward to doll myself up again.
All the time I hear from people, if it's not too much/hard work to do my hair, put on make up and stuff. But to be honest, I love it! And now, I really miss it. I actually already thought about doing my hair, but going to bed with wet hair isn't that smart when you suffer from angina :( .
I heard from so many people who say that they love to have a "time out" where they can look theire worst, don't put on any make up, and don't even really have to change theire underwear ( lol )
I wonder, do you need some glamour time outs or do you enjoy dressing up everyday?

Naama

fleur

One of the Regulars
Im having a time out day today.

Its the last day before work closes for Christmas and its "dress down day".

So here I sit, hair scraped back, chipped nail polish, and in .... yes.... wait for it.... jeans!!

Its the only pair i own and I only wear them on special occasions lol

However, tonight I have an evening of elightenment planned with Lush bath bombs, floating candles and essential oils!

Sunny

One Too Many
This is my off day, too, for the same reason as fleur! Hair pulled back (although I did touch the ends with a curling iron), in blue jeans and a cute long-sleeve tee shirt. I am wearing my stylish brown wool cardigan, though.

fleur said:
However, tonight I have an evening of elightenment planned with Lush bath bombs, floating candles and essential oils!

Ooh nice! I'm going out caroling, all "dolled" up in my 1860s stuff. I'm not going to bother to take my makeup off, though ( :eek: ) and I'm just using lots of combs on my front hair instead of pomade. A bonnet covers a multitude of sins. :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I am home with a cold today, same as yesterday. I'm not getting dolled up, but I did have to get dressed to go out and shovel snow, and I showered and washed my hair last night. Dirty hair makes me feel worse, and I feel warmer when I get dressed instead of going around in my pajamas.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Having a down day is good. Good for you skin, hair and everything else. Since coming here, I'm letting myself enjoy being a girl. All those lipsticks I've collected are now a part of everyday. But, jeans, boots and my motorcycle are still a part too. And yes, I do wear lipstick when riding. ;)

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm at work and will be having a couple of those days. We're so swamped for Christmas that I'm doing 11 hour shifts, and have little time and even less energy to put into looking nice:(

I'm in denims, no make-up, and not a stitch of effort put into my hair:eek: I know I look horrific, but I'm just too tired.:eek:

MissHuff

A-List Customer
I'm glad to hear you ladies are wearing jeans on your down day. Most days I am usually just sitting around the house with the baby and since it's cold out don't venture out much, so I don't really take the time to doll up. No shame in sweats and a house coat when you've got a 7month old crawling all over the house. If I'm leaving the house I'll usually vintage up unless it's laundry day. I do try to practice good hair techniques everyday though and you will never see me out without my red lipstick. If I'm going to be wearing jeans, which I admit I do quite often when I'm going to be particularly active, I end up sporting more of a Marilyn Monroe look than Jennifer Lopez.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I think everyone has their 'down' days....for me, there's days where it would just be silly to get all gussied up...like for example; Once a week I have a cleaning day where I scrub the house totally down, you won't see an ounce of make-up on !
I also think it's good to get all dolled up...it's really a boost to the self-esteem. There's nothing like a good pampering of the soul.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
my down days now consist of me in a plain blouse with my high waisted jeans and a cardigan so I look vintage then too. But I can not that often be bothered with curling my hair overnight so it's usually just in a ponytail with one roll at the front. But when I get in from work or wherever that I have been more dressed up, I will sometimes just put on some sweatpants! :eek:

Well I mean there's no way I am doing yoga in something vintage inspired, nor clean the flat. I mean I expect Dita has a housekeeper but what does she work out in? Unless all she does is her burlesque but surely she's not in costume all the time, and I doubt she could be so trim without something aerobic. [huh]

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I heard she swims in her all thogether not all together in her pool,
so I guess that's how she can say she's always vintagelol
But society would frown on that if I did, seeing as I don't own a poollol

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Naama said:
to quote Ms. Van Teese (or is it Mrs. already?)

For some time now, I was(and I'm still) pretty sick. I guess I don't have to mention that I also don't look all that glamoureus at the moment...... And as the lazy times go by, I look more forward to doll myself up again.
All the time I hear from people, if it's not too much/hard work to do my hair, put on make up and stuff. But to be honest, I love it! And now, I really miss it. I actually already thought about doing my hair, but going to bed with wet hair isn't that smart when you suffer from angina :( .
I heard from so many people who say that they love to have a "time out" where they can look theire worst, don't put on any make up, and don't even really have to change theire underwear ( lol )
I wonder, do you need some glamour time outs or do you enjoy dressing up everyday?

Naama

She's married now, I've seen the wedding photos.

She can afford to be glamorous, she has to be, she's married to a rock star. I try to look at least presentable, but glamour every day? Forget about it!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I love glamour and looking good but I will always love gardening and "gardening" is just a fancy word for "sweating and playing in dirt"

Vintage ladies would understand, right? Where else do flowers for the house and veggies come from?

But I still put on makeup to go to Home Depot to buy more plants and potting soil. Life is balance. :D

-Viola

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I maybe do actual glam-glammity-glamour once or twice a year -- but I rarely leave the house without at least lipstick and a dash of powder, because I look like death warmed over without it. Dark circles, blotchy complexion, worry lines -- just not something I want to foist upon the unwitting public, especially since I live in a small town and have a reputation to maintain for being smartly turned out...

On the other hand, there *is* one occasion when you'll find me absolutely oblivious to how I look, and that's when I have to shovel out the driveway. Then you'll find me in a mangy old parka, army-surplus ski pants, a Radar O'Reilly knit cap, a moth-eaten scarf, and a pair of big clumpy boots. I'm pretty sure that in this outfit I'm completely unrecognizable, so I don't worry that the neighbors might start to gossip about how I've "let myself go...."

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I NEED my down days! I was off work today and I spent it doing laundry, cleaning the house, and running errands. I'll be perfectly honest and tell the world that I'm sitting here at the computer in a t-shirt, fuzzy slippers, and fleece pants, with wet pinned back hair and no makeup. And I'm comfortable! lol I also love camping and taking our jeep out, and neither of those are glamorous.

Dita is paid to be glamorous. That is her life and career. I do love glamour, and I love Dita - but glamour everyday just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
If I were paid as well as she was to be glamourous all of the time I would too. If I were paid $50,000 to strip down to a g-string and splash around in an oversized martini glass well I'd do that too.

pretty much I wouldn't mind being Dita Von Teese.

oh and her wedding photos are gorgeous!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
That's very true MissHuff, :eusa_clap I suppose us "little people" have to make up for the fact that she doesn't need to do much other than look pretty, while WE have to do all of the above and cook, clean, work, raise families etc.lol

But I drooled enviously over her wedding photos, and dreamt wistfully.....

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I nearly always am "dressed down", I suppose, but magically, everyone (including strangers) seems to know that I am going for the vintage look. I guess it just permeates everything after awhile!

Right now though, since I´m in Argentina, I´ve just been blowdrying my hair straight everyday. No hairspray, no curls, nothing! It´s very strange, but my hair feels so much softer now. I guess it does need a break every once and awhile. But even though it´s only been 5 days without curling my hair, I almost went to the hairdressers today to get a wet set, but I stopped myself.

I need to remain strong even through the withdrawals! A little break from the vintage addiction is probably good for me!

Folly

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:
I´m having a cold right now, so I don´t care about my looks too much. I just try to get back on my feet and than I can start beeing glamourous again.

I hope you feel better soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo