Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2 42-15142-P, weighingup various options.

smoz

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero A-2 on order, long story but let's just say I am one of Aero's more indecisive customers. I already own a Highwayman in cordovan FQHH, which I love, I placed an order for a fifties halfbelt delux in brown FQHH, then changed my mind as I thought it would be too similar to my Highwayman and I decided to go for something more suitable for the milder months of the year.

Following many email exchanges, Amanda has suggested that the 42-15142-P would probably be my best bet, I am more than happy to take her advice as I did when I bought my Highwayman which turned out very well.

I have a few questions before I finalise my revised order. I am not after an accurate reproduction of an original A-2, what I do want is a well made A-2 for use during the warmer spring and autumn months, so something relatively lightweight, the opposite of my cordovan FQHH Highwayman which is at its best for early spring and late autumn. I also want a jacket made from a hide with a nice grain which will develop further as it ages.

As far as I can see, on Aero's web site there are various 42-15142s, on the page listing original contract A-2s there is the Anniversary and the Real Deal, but also most of the jackets listed on the "Aero Leathers A-2s" page have 42-15142-P marked on the labels. What is the difference between these various jackets? The Real Deal description specifically mentions that it is made from unmatched horsehide and the Anniversary says that it is made from rougher and heavier horse skins, is there much difference between them? How do the ones on the "Aero Leathers A-2s" page differ? I imagine that they are all the same pattern/cut but just offering a wider choice of hides, ids this the case?

I am also trying to decide which hide to go for I have been sent several samples and have narrowed down to a choice of four, seal brown jerky, russet jerky, seal goat or brown oil pull. Each time I look at one of these samples on its own I think 'that's the one for me' but when I compare it to the others it's not such an easy decision. I have gone back through the threads on this forum and am aware of some of the different characteristics of these hides (i.e. oil pull will form an aged patina fairly quicky whereas goat will stay fairly new looking for several years). How do these hides differ as they age? If the oil pull gets a worn in look quickly how does stand up after a few more years? How do these different hides wear in real life, which are lighter weight and which ones become softer with age? As I mentioned earlier, I would like someting that develops a nice grain, with plenty of character.

Finally, would an small inner pocket work on a 42-15142 or would this spoil the line of the jacket? I am just thinking about a smalll vertical pocket in the facing (possibly know as a G1 style?) something big enough for a mobile phone.

Windward

Practically Family
......I would like someting that develops a nice grain, with plenty of character....

smoz - I feel for you - at first maybe it will be helpful to take a look at my jerky seal brown horse hide (for me a "Windward" - what else :))
It seems that this hide will provide you what you want....

jerkysealsideview.jpg

JerkysealHH_breakinafter1Month-1.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Jerky seal hh is an excellent option. It's grainy with a lovely base colour, seal spray finish and a clear aniline finish on top. Much better than their super smooth but "dead" smooth hh. Jerky seal is a quite thick leather but it is very pliable and comfortble right out of the box.
Aero's new oil-pull is also a great option if you want a darker brown (not seal) with FQHH look. Brown oil-pull is as heavy as regular FQHH but much softer. Don't mix this leather up with the older oil-pull style that sueded rather quickly.

The 42-15142 is probably the roomiest A2 pattern Aero offers. I personally can't wear it because the cut is much too full for my taste. If you are shorter and stockier built the pattern is great but it's not for taller and slimmers guys like me. I much prefer the Bronco or the 38-1711 which is very close fitting.
The Bronco offers a good compromise between slender body, wide shoulders and a good body length...a great all-round jacket pattern.
If authenticity isn't that important I would also go for an AERO branded zip instead of one of these dreadful rattling US Talons. Their AERO zips are very smooth and durable and rarely fail whereas Talons especially NOS ones can be defective right from the start.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Thanks Windward, the texture of the seal jerky in your jacket looks good. I liked the look of the brown FQHH you had up for sale but it was the wrong size for me.

JanSolo, cheers for the advice, especially regarding the zip. I am medium height, originally had a slim build but several years of enjoying food and beer means that the close fitting jackets are not for me. If I could get away with it I would have gone for the 38-1711 as I like the look of it but it is too slim for me, I am considering the 40-3785 as an alternative to the 42-15142.

Any idea how Aero's 'new' oil pull ages when it gets older? I am thinking five or ten years down the line. I really like the pictures posted by dj-go-cat-go on post 43 of this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?4949-Oil-pull-Aero-hides/page5&highlight=oil+pull but I imagine that is the old oil pull.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Hi Smoz,

This is my Aero 42-15142-P. It's in Steerhide and cost the princely sum of £200 when I bought it from Aero in 1998. 1 month wait in those days too! The steer is lovely and grainy and the way the seal has faded away to reveal the reddish base is beautiful.
The fit is quite loose - and this is a size up from what I usually wear too - but it very comfy and versatile.
P1030530.jpg

P1040337.jpg

P1040338.jpg

smoz

One of the Regulars
Well, I just finalised my order, I went for:

* Aero Anniversary 45-15142 (with no patches, name tag or insignia)
* Seal Jerky Horse (ideally with a nice grainy hide please)
* Berry knits
* Olive drab thread
* Outer pockets from 40-3785 (i.e rounded corners and scalloped pocket flap

I decided against a modification to add an inner pocket, I thought that as the A-2 is a classic design I would be best off leaving it that way.

Last edited:

normanf

One of the Regulars

* Berry knits
* Olive drab thread

I decided against a modification to add an inner pocket, I thought that as the A-2 is a classic design I would be best off leaving it that way.

Nothing wrong with adding pockets to extend the usefulness of the jacket. I'd have added handwarmer pockets on the front to have someplace to put one's hands in on a cold day.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family

* Berry knits
* Olive drab thread

I like your selection smoz.............especially the berry knits. Did Aero say how long before they send it?

Best regards,

coffee

smoz

One of the Regulars
I like your selection smoz.............especially the berry knits. Did Aero say how long before they send it?

Best regards,

coffee

I placed my initial order in August, at the time Amanda told me 14-16 weeks, this morning she told me that once I had made up my mind and let them know what I wanted that it would be about four weeks. Hopefully will be here before Christmas.

Windward

Practically Family
.....Hopefully will be here before Christmas.

I am with you - like "too much coffee" - and many more of us - by the way have had a talk with Santa Claus today and told him about our passion / and (surely) your wish - and he just said "OK" ..... eeeh... what does it mean???? ...finger cross and good luck for you ....
Best Wishes

Art

I ordered mine on 7/11/11. Got it yesterday. So, just over 4 months. You'll get it! But they are busy. Non-stop work they have. Hohoho... lol

smoz

One of the Regulars
I spoke to Amanda this morning, they are shipping my A-2 today, so it should be with me tomorrow. This should coincide nicely with the weather starting to get a bit milder here in South London.

smoz

One of the Regulars
It arrived last week :)

It's gone back though :(

A lovely jacket but it was too short for me, however Aero's customer care has been second to none again, they are making me up another one a which will be a bit longer and according to Amanda it should be with me in two to three weeks.

Here's a few quick and dirty pictures of it (not great as they were done on a self timer setting.

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I know how you must be disappointed after the wait! As you've discovered, Amanda will go to great lengths (no pun intended) to make things suitable for you.
As for your earlier interior pocket quandary, I've had small pockets added later. They are much like the breast pocket on a suit coat. A simple cut in the lining with cotton duck used for the drop pocket. I even had a thin strip of leather used to reinforce the edge to clip a pen to.
It will fit a smartphone with no problem and won't show through from the outside.

smoz

One of the Regulars
I know how you must be disappointed after the wait! As you've discovered, Amanda will go to great lengths (no pun intended) to make things suitable for you.
As for your earlier interior pocket quandary, I've had small pockets added later. They are much like the breast pocket on a suit coat. A simple cut in the lining with cotton duck used for the drop pocket. I even had a thin strip of leather used to reinforce the edge to clip a pen to.
It will fit a smartphone with no problem and won't show through from the outside.

Hmm, sounds tempting, I may email Amanda to ask for an inside pocket to be added, I have a couple of weeks to think about it.

It arrived last week :)

It's gone back though :(

A lovely jacket but it was too short for me, however Aero's customer care has been second to none again, they are making me up another one a which will be a bit longer and according to Amanda it should be with me in two to three weeks.

Here's a few quick and dirty pictures of it (not great as they were done on a self timer setting.

Such a drag! The right choice -too short.
What size are you? You'll look great when the longer jacket arrives.

smoz

One of the Regulars
Such a drag! The right choice -too short.
What size are you? You'll look great when the longer jacket arrives.

The A-2 is a 44, I already have a size 42 chest highwayman which fits well (the sleeve of which can be seen in my first picture, better pictures of it are on another thread here somewhere). I have asked for the replacement to be two inches longer at the front and an inch longer at the back. Fortunately the replacement should be here at about the same time that the spring weather arrives here in London.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner