Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board Racer in Seal Goatskin with Green OD Stitching and Liner

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
I did actually. A size 42 fit me like a riding jacket should, that is a little big in the shoulders, trim in the chest and snug around the waist. I'm looking to have less room in the shoulders and more room in the waist in style a little different from the half belt I have on order. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm not sure if the board racer style is too trim with pre urged sleves for riding to translate well into a casual jacket or not.

Edward

Bartender
The other option to consider is the 30s Highwayman model. http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=2428 Combination of the collar and simple body-style that you seem to be after, plus while it's a slimmer fit than the regular Highwayman, it looks to me like it's just a little bit closer to the proportions you're after. Worth dropping Holly at Aero a line: if you tell her what you're after, she'll be able to tell you which model(s) the range best suit(s).

pawineguy

One Too Many
I did actually. A size 42 fit me like a riding jacket should, that is a little big in the shoulders, trim in the chest and snug around the waist. I'm looking to have less room in the shoulders and more room in the waist in style a little different from the half belt I have on order. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm not sure if the board racer style is too trim with pre urged sleves for riding to translate well into a casual jacket or not.

The Pit to pit is 23.5" and the shoulders are 18.5" on the 44. I normally wear a 42 suit size, and I owned a 42 board racer that I found too restrictive for casual wear. This gives me the best of both worlds: Still has higher armholes and slim sleeves but with a little more room in the body for comfort. (actually, the dimensions to me are close to what I prefer in a 42), but it doesn't have all of that extra room in the shoulders that is typical for a Sonoma Racer or Sheene. The precurved arms are much less apparent in goat then they were in the HH, but they didn't bother me then either.

Now that they make the Sheene with a Board Racer body, or a Board Racer with a different collar, you have more options. I also like the detail of the sleeve zips being on top, adds a little bit to the straightforward design of the jacket.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
As usual you are a welcome wealth of knowledge. Did you opt for the one piece yoke across the shoulders?

pawineguy

One Too Many
As usual you are a welcome wealth of knowledge. Did you opt for the one piece yoke across the shoulders?

No, I did the split back with the kidney panel. I didn't feel strongly either way, it was almost a coin toss for me. I am happy with the way it looks, and the way the heavier bottom (two layers of leather as opposed to leather plus lining) feels when I'm wearing it.

bbq

Familiar Face
All your recent racer jackets look and fit great. You must be a happy man. My tastes are more hercules/half-belt HH, but I see I'm going to have rethink. The softness and grain of the goat is a big plus.

pawineguy

One Too Many
All your recent racer jackets look and fit great. You must be a happy man. My tastes are more hercules/half-belt HH, but I see I'm going to have rethink. The softness and grain of the goat is a big plus.

Thanks BBQ, I do have one late 40s, early 50s Hercules, but I don't wear it much. I also bought a new half belt and it just wasn't me. It's just a learning process I suppose, finding out what you feel comfortable in. I am definitely a goat convert, in the right application it just has a lot going for it.

Sockeye

One of the Regulars
When I first started trolling these forums I thought those with multiple jackets who would buy and sell at a loss were crazy. Custom jackets sight unseen! It has set in that this is a hobby and a bit of a chess game as well!

bbq

Familiar Face
Thanks BBQ, I do have one late 40s, early 50s Hercules, but I don't wear it much. I also bought a new half belt and it just wasn't me. It's just a learning process I suppose, finding out what you feel comfortable in. I am definitely a goat convert, in the right application it just has a lot going for it.
I'm definitely at the beginning of this process and got a ways to go.

benjaminschechter

New in Town
Pawineguy - was your previous black HH the Italian Vicenza or CXL? I have a black Vicenza HH Board racer, but have considered getting a 2nd one that is slightly lighter. How is Aero's goat? Is it pretty lightweight and comfortable in your opinion?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have two recent Aero goatskin jackets (Maxwell and Pioneer) and can say that Aero goatskin is substantial but is very flexible and comfortable to wear even when new with little, if any, break in required.

dan_t

Practically Family
I can concur. Wearing my new Aero goat half belt now, it's only one week old but already feels like an old friend.
Very soft and comfortable.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
cool jacket PWG, nice looking creases along the sleeve, seems like those aero goat would look like a broken in jacket from day one.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pawineguy - was your previous black HH the Italian Vicenza or CXL? I have a black Vicenza HH Board racer, but have considered getting a 2nd one that is slightly lighter. How is Aero's goat? Is it pretty lightweight and comfortable in your opinion?

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but Fanch and Dan are both certified to act as my proxies. As they have both noted, Aero's new goat (I've had both the older stuff and the new) is slightly lighter than Vincenza HH but much softer and more comfortable. This particular jacket has become one of my favorites because of that, but you wouldn't mistake it for a lightweight mall jacket. The goat has a beautiful color and grain, and it's still fairly substantial as Fanch rightly stated. It's also vegetable tanned so it smells pretty damn good. My old Board Racer was CXL, and while I only got rid of it because of fit, the goat is much more comfortable to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24