Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cheyenne – Vintage Brown FQHH, Size 40 (lots of large pics)

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Cheyenne in vintage brown FQHH going on two years...
For anyone who is interested in how this coat and Aero's vintage brown FQHH leather ages, here are a few new pictures of my coat after two seasons of wear (owned for a total 1year 9months).

Jerky horsehide?
Note that some of the leather panels have a much more grainy texture than others. This is particularly evident when comparing the sleeves. I like the variation but I've always suspected that some of the leather in the coat is what Aero used to classify as "jerky" horsehide. I don't have direct experience with Aero's jerky horsehide to know for sure. I didn't order jerky leather but my guess is that this is what was used for parts of this coat. I think the "vintage" treatment allows them to use this leather without as obvious a difference. If my suspicion is correct, it bothers me a little that Aero used a leather that in the past they've defined as a lesser quality (and sold for less money) to make my coat without informing me. I've also noticed that Aero doesn't use the term as much on their website.

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2827.jpg

Last edited:

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Thanks for posting update pics. I think you have a nice coat there: I like the two piece back. And your measurements are helpful to me: since I am also considering a 3/4 Aero, I may also size down as you did.

As for the hide, I just checked my vintage samples. The black and cordovan has the "jerky" appearance as in your pictures, but the brown does not. Perhaps the "jerky" appearance varies from batch to batch. Maybe you actually have two different batches used in your coat.

Dav

One Too Many
Looks beautiful Southernwayfare thanks for posting updated evolution pics.
On the jerky versus vintage thing on my samples the brown vintage looks the same as your coat whereas the jerky is much smoother which I thought was quite strange, like Philalethes said perhaps they are just different batches.

Last edited:

Tito

A-List Customer
Hi Southernwayfare, as Nick says the Jerky HH is a hide of demi weight and of russet colour absolutely different than vintage brown FQHH.
Cheers

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Yep, I would not worry about Aero switching hides on you. It's a completely different tanning process for the FQHH and jerky horse that they use. The difference would be very, very drastically apparent. There is some natural variation in different bits of hide that can account for the differences you see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo