Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cheyenne vs. Veste de Rallye

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hi there. I'm considering ordering a new Aero and am really interested in getting a coat, either a Cheyenne or a Veste de Rallye.

Has anyone compared the two?

From the photos on the Aero website, they look very similar to me aside from the Cheyenne's side hand-warmer pockets. I understand that the Rallye is much wider, a bigger cut overall that is more of an 'overcoat,' while the Cheyenne is more trim.

I'm tending towards the Cheyenne, but wasn't sure about the hand-warmer pockets, but they are definitely practical.

Any opinions or comments would be much appreciated.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Hi there. I bought a Stockman from Aero about 8 months ago, after very carefully analyzing the Veste, Cheyenne, and the Stockman.

The Stockman is the slimmest fit of the 3 which is why I chose it, and the Veste is probably the roomiest and meant as an overcoat.

The differences aren't huge otherwise as the collar seemed rather similar amongst them, but the biggest difference was really in the front pockets as you mention. A good site with lots of pics on both the Veste and Cheyenne can be found here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

This is Mark Moye's USA Aero site, as he is their US-based sales rep, along with being a far superior photographer to the talented craftsmen of Galashiels. ;)

I made a number of slight mods to the jacket and posted them on this site, and through wearing the jacket would suggest a few more, if Aero would allow them. I hope to order another jacket from them in about 1-2 years, once the economy picks up. They are stupendous to work with - unbelievably patient, dedicated and detail-oriented. I would highly recommend them.

icecold

One of the Regulars
bobjones said:
Hi there. I bought a Stockman from Aero about 8 months ago, after very carefully analyzing the Veste, Cheyenne, and the Stockman.

The Stockman is the slimmest fit of the 3 which is why I chose it, and the Veste is probably the roomiest and meant as an overcoat.

The differences aren't huge otherwise as the collar seemed rather similar amongst them, but the biggest difference was really in the front pockets as you mention. A good site with lots of pics on both the Veste and Cheyenne can be found here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/aeroleatherusa

This is Mark Moye's USA Aero site, as he is their US-based sales rep, along with being a far superior photographer to the talented craftsmen of Galashiels. ;)

I made a number of slight mods to the jacket and posted them on this site, and through wearing the jacket would suggest a few more, if Aero would allow them. I hope to order another jacket from them in about 1-2 years, once the economy picks up. They are stupendous to work with - unbelievably patient, dedicated and detail-oriented. I would highly recommend them.

Can you post some pics wearing your stockman? Did you order your true chest size? I want to get a stockman soon, but I'm concerned that even it might be too boxy in my suit size based on the one photo on the aero site...

bobjones

A-List Customer
icecold said:
Can you post some pics wearing your stockman? Did you order your true chest size? I want to get a stockman soon, but I'm concerned that even it might be too boxy in my suit size based on the one photo on the aero site...

I will try to post pics in the next day or so, have been very busy. I measured myself PRECISELY. What helped the superstars at Aero was that I also own a Barbour Beaufort, and a 44 reg in it fits me perfectly. Fortunately, Aero's factory is just up the road basically from a Barbour factory, and the Beaufort is a standard, well-known piece.

But again, I measured myself around my chest, waist, arms, etc., and Aero created a fantastic jacket. It seemed way too boxy and big at first, but I have worn the jacket almost constantly since November, and it now drapes much better. I would say it will take about 3-4 years of such wear to really completely "wear it in," but its the journey...

John Lever

One Too Many
I once tried on a V.de.R at Grand Prix Racewear and the leather was very heavy, and very stiff. It could take years to break in. If I am correct it's made from Heavy FQHH.
Hope you strong thumbs for those buttons ...

bobjones

A-List Customer
John Lever said:
I once tried on a V.de.R at Grand Prix Racewear and the leather was very heavy, and very stiff. It could take years to break in. If I am correct it's made from Heavy FQHH.
Hope you strong thumbs for those buttons ...

My Stockman is 5 0z+ FQHH, and is a gorgeous piece, deliciously thick and through heavy wear and massaging only - no dryers or other aging procedures - has begun to fit my figure and drapes nicely. I got mine in the Spring and love it.

Aero's jackets are supreme, remember, its the pleasure from the journey of breaking it in. Just take pics every few months, the changes in its drape are amazing, and the the color has darkened into exactly what I wanted.

D

Deleted member 6442

I've had my black FQHH Veste de Rallye for about 8 years but never wore it because the alpaca lining made it too hot. But last year I had the lining swapped for Aero's cotton and since then I've been wearing it a lot and the leather is now starting to break in nicely. Before I felt like the jacket was wearing me but now it shrugs on nicely and it's not as boxy as it was. But it's still more overcoat then jacket I'd say. It's a good choice if you want a solid, simple design that shows off that fantastic leather.

I recently ordered a Hercules in brown and it'll be interesting to compare the two.

Cheers
Alex

bobjones

A-List Customer
morganswift said:
I've had my black FQHH Veste de Rallye for about 8 years but never wore it because the alpaca lining made it too hot. But last year I had the lining swapped for Aero's cotton and since then I've been wearing it a lot and the leather is now starting to break in nicely. Before I felt like the jacket was wearing me but now it shrugs on nicely and it's not as boxy as it was. But it's still more overcoat then jacket I'd say. It's a good choice if you want a solid, simple design that shows off that fantastic leather.

I recently ordered a Hercules in brown and it'll be interesting to compare the two.

Cheers
Alex

I was afraid of this happening so I ordered cotton from the getgo, especially since I am always on the warmer side (my wife would disagree WRT to that applying to my personality ;) )

I also ordered a slimmer fit so that it would be worn in the format as a jacket unto itself, rather than an overcoat to be worn over a suit, for instance.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm going to add to this one. After years of eyeing Aero jackets, I'm prepared to actually buy one for myself. Like the original post and several others around here, I'm trying to decide between Veste, Cheyenne, and the Stockman. I've learned a lot from the great posts on this forum and would like to thank everyone.

I'm currently leaning toward either the Cheyenne or the Stockman in brown FQHH. I also have a few questions:

1) Based on my reading, Stockman is the slimmest, followed by the Cheyenne, with Veste being the roomiest. Are there any major differences in length? My inclination is not to have too long of a coat. In fact, I'd consider taking an inch off to keep if from being too long. I also don't want a big overcoat type look.

Initially my inclination was to go with the Cheyenne because I prefer the cargo pockets to the patch pockets of the Stockman. However, I'm not so sure about the handwarmer pockets on the Cheyenne. I was thinking of removing them.

So it's either the Cheyenne without hand warmer pockets or the Stockman with internal pockets (rather than patch). Superficially those choices seem to get me to the same place. Now I'm just concerned about the details I can't pic up from the photos. I'd appreciate comments and ideas.

2) If I had not stumbled upon this forum, I wouldn't have found out about stitching options and the ability to make custom requests. Do you get this info when you talk to Aero? Do they ask or do you have to ask? Are there big costs for custom stuff?

Lastly and more generally, I'm pretty nervous about ordering one of these jackets without having tried it on. I haven't ever had a leather coat of this style and I'm really nervous about spending so much money and not liking how the jacket looks on me. Has anyone else struggled with this? Anyone near Boston or NYC with one of these jackets that would be willing to meet up for a drink on me?

Thanks again to everyone for all the great info and pics.

bobjones

A-List Customer
1) Based on my reading, Stockman is the slimmest, followed by the Cheyenne, with Veste being the roomiest. Are there any major differences in length? My inclination is not to have too long of a coat. In fact, I'd consider taking an inch off to keep if from being too long. I also don't want a big overcoat type look.

Ok, here we go. The 3 styles, according to my eye, are not significantly different in boxiness, only the presence of specific accoutrements like handwarmer pockets, patch pockets, etc.

You have to accept and embrace that all 3 are large, boxy, overcoat-type COATS (NOT "jackets") designed to be worn over a suit, a heavy sweater, etc. They are not "jackets" - a jacket is a slim, close fitting article of clothing that you can wear over a t-shirt, and not have a ton of room if you button it/zip it up and pull the front of it forward.

This is a jacket:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/2966902892_282aed3235.jpg?v=0

that presents a look you will NOT receive wearing any of the "big 3." This is the case no matter how small you instruct Aero to construct it.

Let's say you are a 44-regular normally, and to avoid the oversize-styling, you request Aero make a 42 or 40 Cheyenne/Veste. The result will be the coat will not fit right, as it will be too tight as you turn or move your arms, and the shaping/design of the coat won't work.

I know, because there are many days I look at my Stockman, purchased as a 44 (and I am a 44 regular in most suits/jackets) and it just seems a size too big, but when I button it I realize that if I had bought a 42 it would be too constricting in a lot of ways.

Interestingly, JanSolo tried to do what I tried, which was to order one of the Big 3 (Cheyenne for him, Stockman for me) and turn it into a slightly longer long half-belt-type jacket, but it was still very large and boxy for him. He sold his, but I've accepted the coat-style fit of mine, and now accept the jacket as is, and will order a Hwyman for a closer fitting, true "jacket."

If others disagree, then please, by all means post in this thread not just your thoughts but pictures of your Cheyenne/Veste/Stockman. (I myself did a search for them this week on TFL and found that the photo links no longer work on most of the threads ;( )

Do you get this info when you talk to Aero? ...Are there big costs for custom stuff?

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Lastly and more generally, I'm pretty nervous about ordering one of these jackets without having tried it on. I haven't ever had a leather coat of this style and I'm really nervous about spending so much money and not liking how the jacket looks on me. Has anyone else struggled with this?

And then some, even now, after a year, there are times I look in the mirror and think I may be better off with a smaller size...but then my wife says I am being anal, and I realize that if I pull in the material as if it were a size smaller, I would lose the mobility to sit with it closed, or turn easily. So while it might appear too big and boxy when unbuttoned, it really is correctly sized, as to the best of my knowledge.

This is also why I am being very cautious working with Aero WRT the Highwayman I just ordered, to ensure it is a genuine "jacket" with a true slim fit along the lines of the link I posted above of JanSolo's jacket.

I am in NYC, and would be willing to meet up for a TFL get-together. I think there are some other Big Apple'ers here as well...

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the reply. I think your jacket looks great. I had not considered the Stockman until I saw your pics. I appreciate your point about a coat vs a jacket. That was simply my error in terminology. I definitely like the car coat look that's why I'm considering these coats. Thanks again. All the pics have been a great help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy