Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cheyenne ?

wdw

One Too Many
Looks fine, if you like the style, which I do.

I don't believe the chest measurement though. I'd expect that to be 22 or even 23. I have two 38" Stockmans, which are very similar.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You've got to like that look. They look like a boring and boxy version of a car coat to me. Goatskin would be lighter and IMO better since a HH version is really heavy to wear.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
:eeek:

Do Aero source their goatskin in India??? I'm asking because I live there and am familiar with the overall quality (or rather lack of it) and the methods used here for tanning etc. If the other Aero jackets in goatsking use stuff sourced from here then that's a big no-no for me.

t-ray

New in Town
I really like my Cheyenne in Horse Hide (sorry, no experience with goatskin). Sure it's boxy, sure it's heavy, but it's a great winter coat - my mum would approve ! it covers your butt and keeps your mid-section nice and draught free. The boxiness also allows easy layering. To me it's a classic design, not as sexy as the shorter, more tailored Aeros, but well worthy of a place in my closet. I just need to work on that collar a bit.

Cheyanne_zps3698d866.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Th goat used by Aero is one of the best strongest hides available. If it comes fromIndia it arrives largely untreated in the UK where it is processed old school style to superb standards. I've seen it, it's thick and wears like iron.

schitzo

Suspended
:eeek:

Do Aero source their goatskin in India??? I'm asking because I live there and am familiar with the overall quality (or rather lack of it) and the methods used here for tanning etc. If the other Aero jackets in goatsking use stuff sourced from here then that's a big no-no for me.

Is it not the case that some of the best goatskin there is comes from India?

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I'll stipulate that 80% of the time that one orders lamb or sheep here in a restaurant (in a curry) it's goat that's served (which is, to be fair, not bad) and I assume the skins have to go somewhere. On the internal market the skins are 3rd rate and I know many of them are used in local production that's then exported. I presume the 'premium' skins are exported. But the reason I'd hesitate is the techniques (and chemicals) used in the tanning and dyeing here....if I catch a juicy tumor then it'd better be from my cigarettes, not from long term exposure to compounds leaking from my leather jacket.

Otter

One Too Many
I have an older Aero A-2 made of Indian goat, ane of the Aero Flight range that was made in India with bits sent out. Never had a quibble with the jacket, about 7 years old and still going strong, looks almost new, just a few high points begining to show through.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As I understand it the best, most serviceable goat comes from India and Pakistan. And the best of this may not actually be available in the country it comes from. If you've seen the Aero goat, you'll know it to be amongst the best leathers you will ever see.

Reminds me of kangaroo hide. You can not find good roo easily over here anymore. It's all sold off to other lands where they make great things out of it.

Last edited:

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
I've asked the seller to confirm the measurements but no response. 20" pit-pit does seem small for a jacket with 19" shoulders. And 31" for the back length seems extremely long. I'm 5'9 and think that would look much to long on me.

wdw

One Too Many
31" is pretty standard for that jacket. It just depends how far down you're comfortable with. I'm 5' 11" and am happy with a 30" length, but everyone's different.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
Think Im going to pass on this one considering I have a shorted upper torso. My other jackets are all 25" back and hit the top of my jean pockets. The hunt continues!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Think Im going to pass on this one considering I have a shorted upper torso. My other jackets are all 25" back and hit the top of my jean pockets. The hunt continues!

The Cheyenne is a great looking jacket but can I put a plug in for Aero's Barnstormer? It's just that little bit more versatile than a Cheyenne in my mind. You can wear it with the belt or you can remove it and wear it without. It has the same chest level handwarmer pockets but by using the belt or not you can change the overall feel of the jacket. It quickly became my favourite jacket on getting it and I wear mine all the time.

wdw

One Too Many
These longer jackets just don't get the luurrvv they deserve. I'll take one of my Stockmans over a short jacket any day.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
These longer jackets just don't get the luurrvv they deserve. I'll take one of my Stockmans over a short jacket any day.

I've a LHB and a "no name" Canadian single breasted Barnstormer that I love. I've still got my English made, Lee leather driving coat and one or two more so I understand what you're saying. You've got to have a certain build to make long coats work and a certain build to make shorties work. It's a rare fellah that can pull off both.

Worf

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
So far I don't own any of the longer coats but if I'd have to pick one then I guess it would be the Barnstormer -minus the chest pockets- because it looks like the most versatile of them and also one that can be worn by people with a slim physique without making them look like scarecrows. But in general I subscribe to Worf's point of view when he says that it's a rare person who can wear both the slimmer fitting short jackets and the coats to good effect. I recently saw a picture of someone who has a quite stocky frame wearing a '30s half belt and although the sizing was generally ok, the jacket model and drape were imho not very flattering which is a pity for both the wearer and the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner