Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Fit Jackets are here!!

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Ok, so the Sonoma and the Half Belt arrived today! Both in black, but I'm going brown in whichever style I choose.
Anyway, since I'm in the office I haven't had much time to spend admiring, but out of the box: damn, they're heavy, damn, they're stiff, and damn, they smell good.

Wade suggested a 40 in both styles, and I don't know that I'll need any tweaks. To someone who knows nothing about fitting a leather jacket, they both feel spot-on. Both are snug, with the Sonoma a tad more. Does the fit loosen up a bit as the jacket breaks in? I want snug, but I do want to be able to fit at least a nice sweater under for winter wear. I think I could get away with it now, but am curious nonetheless.

I'll post pics (assuming I can figure out how. Same as any other forum-based website?) and let the experts weigh in on fit, etc.

Chris

wdw

One Too Many
Excuse my ignorance, but are these fit jackets real leather and the finished article? For some reason I thought they were cotton mash-ups.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My understanding was that they were - you place a down payment and they send a jacket. Guess it avoids tyre kickers. [huh]

reeks1

One of the Regulars
No. They send you an honest-to-goodness Aero leather jacket to try on. They DO take your CC info and charge you before shipping, just to keep you honest. :)

I DO wonder if they have a stock of these, or are they just grabbing them off the rack and shipping them? The two that I received seem to have some wear on them. I'd hate to buy a jacket that's been passed around....

HighandDry

A-List Customer
LOL I wouldn't worry about the jacket being passed around. That HH is pretty tough ;).

I did find in my Aeros that they did loosen up quite a bit with wear. Not so much in snugness, but in comfort.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'll post pics (assuming I can figure out how. Same as any other forum-based website?) and let the experts weigh in on fit, etc.

Chris

Chris, set up a Photobucket account (photobucket.com) and download your pictures from your computer or mobile device. There is even a Photobucket app for iPhone. Click on IMG for each picture that copies each picture that you select that you then paste directly underneath your text on the FL. Allow us to view the images and then make your decision for you. :D

Peacoat

Bartender
Does the fit loosen up a bit as the jacket breaks in? I want snug, but I do want to be able to fit at least a nice sweater under for winter wear. I think I could get away with it now, but am curious nonetheless.
Chris

If you have a good, snug and comfortable fit at the chest now, you will need to go up one size (40 to 42, for example) in order to comfortably fit a sweater under the jacket. At least that has been my experience with peacoats and leather jackets.

technovox

One Too Many
If you have a good, snug and comfortable fit at the chest now, you will need to go up one size (40 to 42, for example) in order to comfortably fit a sweater under the jacket. At least that has been my experience with peacoats and leather jackets.

That was exactly my experience too! My first 30's half-belt jacket was a size 40 and a bit too snug in the shoulders, and definitely too tight for layering. So I ended up with a size 42, and I love the fit.
Additionally, if I remember correctly, the fit jacket was not horsehide.

Edward

Bartender
My experience with FQHH is less stiffness does not equal less snug-ness.... I have more freedom of movement = moving arms around, bending over, etc. but don't have more room underneath for layers....

Mine also. The FQHH will mould to your body and become more flexible as it breaks in, but it won't stretch bigger.

I DO wonder if they have a stock of these, or are they just grabbing them off the rack and shipping them? The two that I received seem to have some wear on them. I'd hate to buy a jacket that's been passed around....

I'd have thought they keep a rack of (used) jackets for this sort of thing - they won't be out of new stock.

Yes... I'd be careful, however, to take advise from Aero / Thurston on whether that would work for the individual jacket at which you are looking. Many years ago, long before I knew much about leather I tried on a leather jacket that was vaguely in the Highwayman sort of style. Wanting something snugger, I tried a size down, but it didn't work - the proportions were all wrong. Some jacket patterns are designed and cut to be worn over just a shirt - the Thirties Halfbelt is one of them. I'd be wary of sizing that up to fit a sweater in case it just looked wrong (allowing for personal taste, obviously). Instead I'd be looking for a jacket cut to accomodate a sweater, like a Highwayman, say.

pauleway

Practically Family
Mine also. The FQHH will mould to your body and become more flexible as it breaks in, but it won't stretch bigger.

I'd have thought they keep a rack of (used) jackets for this sort of thing - they won't be out of new stock.

Yes... I'd be careful, however, to take advise from Aero / Thurston on whether that would work for the individual jacket at which you are looking. Many years ago, long before I knew much about leather I tried on a leather jacket that was vaguely in the Highwayman sort of style. Wanting something snugger, I tried a size down, but it didn't work - the proportions were all wrong. Some jacket patterns are designed and cut to be worn over just a shirt - the Thirties Halfbelt is one of them. I'd be wary of sizing that up to fit a sweater in case it just looked wrong (allowing for personal taste, obviously). Instead I'd be looking for a jacket cut to accomodate a sweater, like a Highwayman, say.

I disagree with you on the 30's HB being worn with just a shirt to look right, or designed for just a shirt. I have a Aero 30's HB, and an Alexander Arkansas (same as a 30's HB, maybe even a little snuggger) and I wear a sweater underneath in the colder weather and it looks good to me. I also wear them with just a shirt and think they look just as good! I say go for the jacket you like the looks of (you might not like the look of the Hywmn, like me) and if you get it fit correctly, you can have the best of both worlds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy