Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero halfbelt camp?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Greetings, all. I have owned perhaps five Aeros over the years and have progressively returned each one – not out of substantive dissatisfaction but because of changing personal style combined with a continuing search for the perfect jacket. In each case I have taken advantage of Aero's trade-in policy: aprroximately half the new price of the jacket deducted from the next purchase.

My most recent Aero is a cordovan halfbelt. I thought I had achieved something close to that elusive perfection with it – the leather is wearing in very nicely, too – when a friend remarked offhandedly that the jacket was "camp". I think – I hope –*that she was referring to the close-fitting, cropped style. (Aero does say that the halfbelt is one of the few of its makes that suit women equally well as men.)

Now, of course, I am virtually paralysed with uncertainty and indecision. Should I yet again trade in an Aero (I was thinking for a simple cordovan Highwayman)? That would mean forgoing yet more wearing-in; if I had stuck with one Aero in all this time its patina would have reached some quite extraordinary level of beauty. Or should I ignore her taunts and accept the imperfectability, like life, of leather jackets? Or should I, damn it, just own two?

Your thoughts kindly received,

Sir Jacket

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
There was no pink shirt. Please – the most awful possible item in a man's wardrobe. I will try to post a photo but I'm not sure it will help with the basic problem – which is of the nature of the cut of the jacket.

Sir S

bobjones

A-List Customer
First, one of the issues in trying to acquire the "perfect leather jacket" is that for a few months, you will love the longer, car coat styles, then the short trimmed highwayman, then the mid-length like the long HB...

Then you will see a photo of an amazing looking jacket with a special "distressed" style look to it, like the Indy jacket in the latest movie, and then a friend will come visit wearing his light brown suede moto jacket from say, J Crew...and on and on...

That is why so many people have like 5 jackets, not like you who owns them one at a time, but have that many or more in their closets, as people's moods change, and what you love this season you might tire of and want to rotate to another one next season, then 4 years later, you will like it again...

Chasing a "perfect" leather jacket is pointless, it is a fiction that cannot be achieved. You are better off building a collection of 3-5 different styles/different hides that are far enough apart to fit a diverse wardrobe and provide multiple "looks" for you.

As for the HB appearing "camp," the only person whose opinion counts on how something looks is you, as you are the one who will be wearing it most.

I cannot tell you how many times my wife hated something I bought, deriding its appearance, and then grew fond of it over time. If you are over 23, the only other time someone's comments on clothing you wear should count is if they are the one signing your bi-weekly paycheck. Otherwise, it is their problem, not yours.

All that I can say is.....
I currently have four HalfBelts...and a Bootlegger of similar HB stlye...and have never received a negative or "girlie"comment(if that's what you mean)...but rather just the opposite. In my opinion,though,the HalfBelt does flatter a womans figure very well. It is trim and high waisted with the halfbelted back compared to the less tailored design of the Highwayman...but isn't "skirty" as typical woman's only style. The Halfbelted jacket has been quite popular for men throughout the '30s&'40s and even today...and just happens to also work for some women(although a strickly woman's HB design seems to have more flair below the HalfBelt).
If your HalfBelt fits well...I'd surely keep it. A Highwayman is more of a '50s style jacket that is also a great addition. In fact if I could only have one Aero HH jacket..it would be my Highwayman. However...having both styles is icing on the cake...in my view.
HD

Tripleterror

New in Town
I'm a long time watcher but this is my first post.
I had a similar comment about my leather Belstaff Panther and I must admit it made me question wearing it, but in the end I thought bo****ks to them.
I have since ordered a Brown FQHH '50's Halfbelt so we'll see what that looks like.
I went to Aero in Scotland to order it as I only take a 38" chest but am 6'4" and didn't want to get the sizing wrong. I'm glad I did as on the phone Will said I would need 2" longer in the body and arms but I actually needed 3" longer.
It really is a tiny operation, Amanda on reception, Will doing the measuring, 1guy cutting the leather, 4 women doing the sewing and Will's son doing all the rushing about.
Well worth the trip and Will is a great guy.
Simon

J

john z

What your 'friend' thinks of your jacket is immaterial. You were quite happy with your jacket before the comment was made & if you analyse it nothing about the you or the jacket has changed since. My Wife reckons my Pennys half-belt looks like a womens jacket. I couldn't care less. I know what it is, that it feels good to wear & that I'm happy with the way I look & feel in it. Her opinion is based on her ignorance of cool bygone styles. Change your friend, not your jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
I find that I agree with just about every post HD has made, and I have read all of them for the past 3 years or so. His post in this thread is no exception.

Also, John Z gives a good analysis of the situation. Although I'm not sure I would get rid of the friend. And I would think that her comment should not be taken negatively.

If you like the jacket, and I happen to like that style, keep it and enjoy it.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im gonna go out on a limb and guess that the issue is with you and not the jackets. Some people are simply never satisfied...look at how many people keep buying jacket after jacket looking for that "perfect" one. Some people do this with whatever obsession they may have, not just jackets. If one thing (or 50 things) someone says makes you doubt yourself or your jackets...you really need to do some self examination, no offense.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Sir Jacket said:
There was no pink shirt. Please – the most awful possible item in a man's wardrobe. I will try to post a photo but I'm not sure it will help with the basic problem – which is of the nature of the cut of the jacket.

Sir S

I own a couple of pink vintage dress and sport shirts (as well lavender and every other pastel you can think off). If you're going for a period correct "Bold Look" era style, pink is dead on. You just gotta wear it with confidence.

As for the friend thinking a tight fitting jacket looks a little "camp," what does she know? She probably thinks boxy four button, low rise suits with square toed Italian elf shoes are the bees knee's...

...the bottom line is you should not base your opinion on what others think. That is what separates the truly fashionable from the mindless fad following masses.

Charlie

Familiar Face
Hello

The expression "camp" refer to what ? Something like "Gay" ? I don't get the meaning of this expression...('cause I'm French)

Thanks

Creeping Past

One Too Many
In my opinion, the half-belt is nowhere near as camp as the Hercules.

And as another poster above hints, accusations of camp should be regarded compliments when applied to the wearing of certain vintage-style garments.

J

john z

I can understand, I think, why my Wife views my Pennys half-belt as a jacket suited to females. My theory is that it's due to the fitted style which, particularly with the Pennys having elasticated sections to cinch the waste rather than straps & buckles, tapers at the waste & then flair out towards the hem. As in a skirt.

Of course she is not used to seeing this vintage style on a male. She is conditioned by years of the now accepted style of leather jackets falling from the shoulders with all the grace & shape of a sack, only to be drawn in by one method or another around the hem.

This is not so pronounced with my no-make half-belt because it has the straps & buckles which I do not have adjusted to pull the jacket in at the sides. I've had this jacket long before the Pennys & the Wife has never once commented that it looks more suited to a women. Yet in essence both jackets are of the same design. She does complain about the smell of this one tho' lol. Women - never happy.

D

Deleted member 6442

First time I've ever heard the word 'camp' in relation to Aero jackets. I suspect it's because most high street clothes for men nowadays don't have even a hint of tailoring. I have a Hercules (should get around to posting a pic on here because when I was umming and ahhing about ordering it there were very few reference photos on here) and I prefer it to my Veste De Rallye because it is more tailored. And, for me, it'll never be 'camp' because it weighs a ton and takes a fair amount of swagger to heft it around town! lol
Cheers
Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace