Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Highwayman question/My mental disorder, ocd.

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
Do all Highwayman Jackets have the fabric stretch cuff's inside the sleeves? Also the jackets w/the alpaca lining, is the lining removable? I've pretty much decided I'm getting a Highwayman. I have several other Leather jackets, my favorite for now is my Schott 141, it's an awesome jacket, it makes me feel good to wear it, I'll put it on sometimes when I'm home alone and look in the mirror and I swear I get an endorphin rush or something, I love the look, feel, smell of a nice leather jacket. I'm not wealthy, just an average Joe but I get focused on certain things I see online and I have to have them. I collect knives and I've done it dozens of times, spent way too much money on them, watches, firearms, tools, I get tunnel vision and just have to get it. To make the money I'll just work extra, collect scrap metal, do side jobs, sell stuff on ebay, whatever it takes. I love the searching too, reading all reviews, looking at every pic, the anticipation once I finally order, the joy of opening the packages,I have issues. Thanks for any help on the Highwayman.

PS - It's better to spend $1000 one time and get the best Jacket, it will last you for your whole life, it will always be in style, and you won't have to buy a new one every few or several years, although I probably will.

mattp

One of the Regulars
Hi and welcome. The storm cuffs are standard on the Highwayman, but it seems popular to ask for this to be removed when ordering the jacket, as it is less restrictive (with watches etc), and unless it's really cold it's not entirely necessary (in my humble opinion). The alpaca lining is not removable.
Cheers,
Matt

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I bought a Cordovan Highwayman from the Bay. It had been purchased from Kentaurus in Germany. It had been configured to have no storm cuffs. I have other jackets with the storm cuffs. If the storm cuffs are stretched and loosened up they don't create a problem. This can be done by turning the sleeve inside out, and wetting the cuff, and then stretching it while wet, and then drying out in a loose state. The alpaca lining (or tartan wool lining, whatever the case may be), is not removable.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Just to give another opinion - I find the stormcuffs fine and do help to keep warm. I wasn't sure about them to begin with. I wear a chunky leather bracelet and don't find a real issue with getting the jacket on. I would keep them.

There are other nice jackets but the Highwayman is unique and the leather is as amazing as it looks in pictures. I'll try and upload some shots of mine later to tempt you further into getting one.

Edward

Bartender
If you like the standard apponitments in the HWM, an apprentice made jacket is a great option. For me the only downside is the lack of an interior pocket, but at half price... ;)

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
If you wear a large watch especially a chronograph with a rotating bezel I have found that this will snag and ruin the storm cuff, consequently for my last jacket I specced' no stormcuffs.

D

majormajor

One Too Many
Horses for courses.

My phone does a perfectly good job of telling the time, and I don't wear jewellery - so no watch for me!:D

The storm cuffs on my HWM are invaluable on a cold day

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
I was looking at a Black HWM apprentice made jacket on the Aero site this weekend but before I could make my decision it was sold for 400 Pounds English. I have concerns about the size beside the color, I just bought a Schott 141 and I needed a 48, but mostly I wear xl which should be 46. Sizes vary greatly depending on maker so I'm trying to lock down size before I drop a grand on a jacket!
If you like the standard apponitments in the HWM, an apprentice made jacket is a great option. For me the only downside is the lack of an interior pocket, but at half price... ;)

garzo

One of the Regulars
I was looking at a Black HWM apprentice made jacket on the Aero site this weekend but before I could make my decision it was sold for 400 Pounds English.

I hate when that happens!

I have concerns about the size beside the color, I just bought a Schott 141 and I needed a 48, but mostly I wear xl which should be 46. Sizes vary greatly depending on maker so I'm trying to lock down size before I drop a grand on a jacket!

I have found that Aeros can vary in size. I own a Schott 141 in size 46 that fits me perfectly and also own two Aeros, a Highwayman in size 46 that fits me a bit roomy -- more so than the Schott, and a Happy Days-style aviator jacket in vintage horsehide (at least that's what it says) in size 44 and that fits me spot on. I used to own a Highwayman size 44 but that was too short and too tight around the chest.

Unless your size is pretty average and you can get lucky with an off-the-rack model, like one of the trainee jackets, your best bet might be to talk to Aero directly, or maybe better for you being in the U.S., to the folks at Insurrection Leather, and order it custom made to your exact size. They'll tell you exactly what measurements they need.
I see a lot of used Highwayman jackets for sale that have very different measurements even if the are labeled the same size. Some size 46 jackets may be longer, wider or shorter and more narrow, because they were special ordered.

Cacey Taylor

New in Town
Do all Highwayman Jackets have the fabric stretch cuff's inside the sleeves? Also the jackets w/the alpaca lining, is the lining removable? I've pretty much decided I'm getting a Highwayman. I have several other Leather jackets, my favorite for now is my Schott 141, it's an awesome jacket, it makes me feel good to wear it, I'll put it on sometimes when I'm home alone and look in the mirror and I swear I get an endorphin rush or something, I love the look, feel, smell of a nice leather jacket. I'm not wealthy, just an average Joe but I get focused on certain things I see online and I have to have them. I collect knives and I've done it dozens of times, spent way too much money on them, watches, firearms, tools, I get tunnel vision and just have to get it. To make the money I'll just work extra, collect scrap metal, do side jobs, sell stuff on ebay, whatever it takes. I love the searching too, reading all reviews, looking at every pic, the anticipation once I finally order, the joy of opening the packages,I have issues. Thanks for any help on the Highwayman.

PS - It's better to spend $1000 one time and get the best Jacket, it will last you for your whole life, it will always be in style, and you won't have to buy a new one every few or several years, although I probably will.

Are you able to make money by selling Jackets?

Like anything else- if you get a good one at a great price, you can always turn it around for a good price :)
Deals are harder to come by these days though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR