Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero J106 - Too big?

Is the jacket too big?

• Yes, definitely.

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Nah, it's okay.

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won't comment on the length as thats subjective and you said this is the length you wanted. As for the waist, too big?...for a jacket you are going to ride in, yes. For a pure fashion jacket...depends on the look you are going after but probably still a bit too big.

Cooperson

One Too Many
If you can't bring yourself to wear it, it has to go back. It's a painful experience and trust me I know all about it, but there's no point hanging onto a jacket that isn't right. Return it whilst it's still in mint condition, I'm sure it will be resold without any trouble. The big question is, can the pattern be altered to get it to fit the way you want?

Protein, I wasn't really going for a specific look, just wanted a well fitting jacket. Like what you see in the Thruston Bros thread, or on those Buco ads or whatever. Look at this photo: http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/DogLizard/Fit/DSCN0967_resize_zpsf3cc2288.jpg my girlfriend thought of this and we've measured the overlap of wee bit over three inches - and the jacket isn't even that tight 'round me (leather's way too stiff). :(

Cooperson, nope, can't wear it. Too painful. I've just sent Aero an mail explaining everything, linked a gallery and all... I'm sure something will be sorted out. Measuring the jacket, I don't think it would be possible to salvage this one. Perhaps if I didn't have pillion pockets included, but I don't think they can shave off three inches without messing it up.

Edward

Bartender
If you're not happy with it, you're not happy. I think it may be a case of the design just not being right for your bodyshape; it looks to me like this is a slightly more boxy design. If the Aero MC is the right fit on you, you probably have a very pronounced chest - waist drop; I'm having to sell one of those because a size 42 in that model has good sized shoulders, but a narrower waist (by about 2") than a 30s Halfbelt. Nature of the beast, I fear. You might be best off looking for a different jacket model altogether.

Were the pillion pockets standard issue, or did you ask for those as an extra? I really like them as a detail, myself. They are on the early ELC RoadStar I picked up last year, but they're not on the current version, I believe.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I believe a member recently purchased a custom Aero with the waist taken in a bit. Maybe this would be a solution for you? Sizing down one size could also work, but it might be worth exploring both options. I get the vibe you really like the J106, so I wouldn't discount it just yet.

Edward; You're right on the money. I am fairly certain that no matter what size I go with, this design just ain't for me. Same as with Schott; perfect on the shoulders, okay around chest, insanely too large at waist. Aero MC jacket has a highly tapered V shape, as you know - you have an excellent steer MC jacket, if I remember correctly? - and obviously, that's what seems to be working for me. Either way, I won't be wearing this J106, it is out of the question, so I think I'll be going with another model altogether. Depends on what Aero decides to do with me. :) If nothing, I'll sell it and invest into something else... King of the Road, perhaps.
Pillion pockets aren't a standard issue on this model - as far as I am aware, only King of the Road has these - so I had them requested as I too like them as a detail, and I figured they could prove practical at some point. It's a nice touch, either way. Really a perfect jacket with all the details I love seeing on vintage pieces. Such a shame... :/

nick123; I've been looking at it but they'd have to cut about 3 inches from the waist and I honestly can't imagine where could they take it from,without completely ruining the thing... I do love J106 but I am afraid it's a style that's just not meant for me.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is why I'm now always going through Thurston Bros when possible, the fit jacket option they offer is fantastic. I recommend sending them pics of you wearing the fit jacket they send and they then advise on sizing and tweaks. They also guarantee the fit if you go this route.

Monitor, can you let us know the outcome? I've always been curious how Aero would handle a situation like this, lots of customisation and nothing "wrong" with the jacket, it just doesn't fit.

malligator

New in Town
Are you planning to actually ride in it? If so, how can we tell you if it fits without a pic of it zipped all the way up with an insulating layer underneath?

Protein, like I said, so far Aero's been incredibly fair toward me. I've sent them a mail, detailing everything... There's nothing wrong with the jacket, that's true, but 42 was the size I've been advised to go with. I definitely wouldn't have bought the jacket in this size if I had a chance to try it first, even if it was an OTR jacket! I'll let you know of the outcome either way.

malligator, you mean in this particular jacket? Nope. If I'll have to sell it, the jacket's still unworn (don't think I've had it on for more than 15 minutes altogether) and I plan on keeping it that way. But yeah, 'twas supposed to be my riding jacket. I've sat on a bike in it, wearing a shirt underneath, and it's no good. It's sticking out everywhere, chest's all blown up... Fits well over my shearling coat that I wear when it gets really cold but then it looks like I'm wearing a Thunderbay.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
too baggy for my taste at the waist. You must be like me and have a V shape silouhette. The best fitting jackets I found are the Vansons and Schott 641s (the 6 number are vintage cuts and fits like a glove) I wish you the best to resolve this situation Monitor.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
too baggy for my taste at the waist. You must be like me and have a V shape silouhette. The best fitting jackets I found are the Vansons and Schott 641s (the 6 number are vintage cuts and fits like a glove) I wish you the best to resolve this situation Monitor.

Just for the sake of accuracy, the 641 and 644 Schott are sized like the regular schott but one size up!

So a size 44 641 will be exactly the same as a size 42 141... They still have the same drop from shoulder to waist, and if you have a massive drop you will still need to have them tapered in.

Heavyduti

Familiar Face
Gorgeous jacket with amazing detail but way too big in the waist. I like it a bit roomy but that's way too much.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
Just for the sake of accuracy, the 641 and 644 Schott are sized like the regular schott but one size up!

So a size 44 641 will be exactly the same as a size 42 141... They still have the same drop from shoulder to waist, and if you have a massive drop you will still need to have them tapered in.

My schott 118 and 641 shure as hell don't have the same cut. Slimmer sleeves, narrower chest and waist, the back is also shorter on the 641. Gail coroborated it when emailing with her back in 2010.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
My schott 118 and 641 shure as hell don't have the same cut. Slimmer sleeves, narrower chest and waist, the back is also shorter on the 641. Gail coroborated it when emailing with her back in 2010.

A 641 won't have the same cut as the 118 as these are different models. 641 is Cafe racer jacket and 118 is a Perfecto styled jacket. A 641 size 40 will fit like a 141 size 38, a 618 size 40 will fit like 118 size 38.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
A 641 won't have the same cut as the 118 as these are different models. 641 is Cafe racer jacket and 118 is a Perfecto styled jacket. A 641 size 40 will fit like a 141 size 38, a 618 size 40 will fit like 118 size 38.

Yeah I know both are different styles but the point about the baggier chest, sleeves and a shorter back of the 641 vs 141 still stand. the 141 is a fuller cut.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
In your previous post you applied said points to 641 to 118, not 641 to 141. I own a 618 and 641HH so I can't make any statements about the 1xx styles but from what I've heard the 641 and 141 are cut the same but sized differently, and the same applies to 118 and 618 except for the 118 is an inch longer in length. Again, this is just from reading stuff on the internet and I have no personal experience with 1xx jackets.

malligator

New in Town
Below is a pic of my size 42 J106. I've lost 50 pounds since I got it so it fits much larger on me than yours does on you. Even though it's not a "fashion" fit it is very comfortable and I can fit a thick fleece underneath that can get me down to 30 degrees easily. I've only worn it half a season so it has a lot of breaking in to do, but it's already starting to drape well when zipped up all the way.

Obviously, the final decision is yours, but I'm just letting you know that a thick J106 with no break in at all is going to bunch up like crazy when you're riding. If you're only zipping it up as far as you show in your pics it's going to balloon out and get right up under your chin. A thick J106 that is trim is going to feel like a straight jacket. Mine was right on the cusp of that 50 pounds ago.

Finally, your sleeves look a lot more tapered than mine. My first J106 had PERFECT sleeves on it. Absolutely beautiful taper. The sleeves on this one are way too baggy. Think twice before selling a J106 with good sleeves.

All that said, there is no guarantee I won't buy a smaller one and sell this one. I'm just trying to pass along what I've learned in the last two years trying to find the right riding jacket--which includes a steerhide and now a FQHH J106. Heck, if yours was a size 38 or 40 I'd probably be offering to buy it. :)

J106.JPG

Malligator, I could be biased, but I don't think your jacket looks that large on you at all. :) But yes, I hear you, my jacket's brand new, it stills behaves like it's made from a cardboard but still, either way, new or broken in, it won't be getting any better no matter what I do. At least until you've lost weight, you had a perfect jacket - from the photos on your dropbox gallery, your jacket fits you absolutely perfectly - while I'd have to gain like 40 pounds. . .

Also, I think that our jackets are cut a bit differently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've went with supposedly trimmer Insurrection version of the style, with shoulder gussets, true? My J106 is Aero's original pattern, one with much tapered sleeves (detail that I particularly like) and most importantly, full action back. It is a somewhat... roomier jacket by default, I believe, that's why it will only go from bad to worse. Right now, it's still keeping the form due to the stiffness of the leather, but once the shoulders start drooping and whatnot, I might as well be wearing a tent.

xOUTLAWx, Heavyduti; Yep, no doubt about it. Outlaw, you're right about the V shape. More I think about it, more I am convinced that this style isn't meant for me...

Edward, don't know where else to tell you, but you've exceeded your stored private messages quota so I can't respond to your PM. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner