Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Highwayman - edition for winter

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hello!

You will remember the unfortunate matter with Aero Leather ‘s former stuff members Will & Amanda. At that time a lot of jackets were labeled as horse but indeed were steer or a mixture of both.

I have one of those jackets – a Highwayman, labeled as horse but made from steer hide. And at least one size too big (which was commented by Amanda as “making tolerance”). Nevertheless a beautiful Aero jacket with really heavy and awesome leather, and therefore I decided to keep it, but ordered another Highwayman.

The new order again is a beautiful jacket, now horse and also the correct size. This is how it looked right out of the box about 15 months ago:

The beauty today (mirror-inverted!):

But back to my first Highwayman - the one made from steer. I usually wear it in autumn or on warm winter days with a sweater or even a fleece jacket underneath.

Looking at Aero’s marvellous sheepskin jackets I got the idea to ask Holly if they would change the lining of my HWM to sheep. Holly and Ken agreed! In addition I wanted to get storm cuffs. After about three months I got the jacket back last week (GPB 170). Beautiful sheepskin in the body, corduroy at the bottom and in the sleeves. Now I have a beautiful winter jacket! Fit is perfect now, because the sheepskin consumes Amanda’s “making tolerance” and takes the one size it was made to large.

Have a look (first three pics are mirror-inverted!):

Both Aero Leather Highwaymen together:

Hope you enjoy the story and the pics.

Thanks and kind regards,

Johannes

Last edited:
Wow, not only was the jacket mislabeled but they even went as far as to convince you that you shouldn't trust your own judgement. Talk about crap luck. It's really great to hear how well things have turned out, though. Lined with shearling makes it pretty much a perfect winter jacket so I believe congratulations are in order! :D Fits you great and steer looks absolutely amazing.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Beautiful jacket. I really never understood all the adoo about "storse", in my eyes this was pure hyperbole from the beginning. I know, however, that this is a minority-view here on the board. ;)

Dav

One Too Many
Very good idea Lungomare, my Highwayman is feeling a little loose now I've lost a few pounds, so I may just do the same.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I must say that your idea probably NEVER would've occurred to me. Bravo and well done. Talking about taking lemons and making lemonade!

Worf

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Hi!

Thanks a lot for all these kind words and comments - they are highly appreciated!

Well, maybe a new trend towards Aero Jackets for wintertime :)

I wouldn't have had it done if Aero, resp. Holly and Ken weren't so friendly and competent. Beside this the work Aero does is more than qualified. Price is absolutely o.k. considering the durablity of their jackets and - concerning the jacket shown - the lining.

Kind regards,

Johannes

Edward

Bartender
Nice solution with the HWM. If it was a size too big, then it was a perfect candidate for the shearling lining: Aero have said in the past that if you order a shearling lining for a jacket that was not originally designed to accomodate one, they start with a shell of a jacket a size up from your own so that once the bulky lining is in, it will fit like your correct size. Funnily enough, a coupel of years ago now I was speccing out a shearling lined HWM on paper, black with a mouton collar, as a black alternative to my B3 & Irvin in the Winter. Shortly thereafter, Aero unveiled the Thunderbay, which I'm going to opt for instead, but if I had a size-too-big HWM as an alternative, I'd definitely use that as a base instead.

Beautiful jacket. I really never understood all the adoo about "storse", in my eyes this was pure hyperbole from the beginning. I know, however, that this is a minority-view here on the board. ;)

From the outside it could look odd, I imagine, given that steerhide can be just as good as, if different from, horse. The issue was simple, though: folks were given something other than that for which they paid, and at the time horsehide carried a price premium too, if memory serves. It wasn't, in the majority of cases, about the relative quality of different hides. But let's not dig this all up again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy