Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero lhb project warm lining advice

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello gentlemen,
After reading Slone1874 post, i'm thinking ordering a LHB.
It would be my winter jacket and i'm hesitate between Alpaca or one of the Braeriach tartan for the body.
The sleeves would be covered with satin.
Which one would be the warmest and the most durable ? (the usual lowest temperature here in Paris is -5° Celsius).
Thanks,
F68

majormajor

One Too Many
Personally, I like the brown alpaca. We've already had a few really cold days, and my Aero really kept me warm;)

Richard G

New in Town
Alpaca lining?

I wore through the Alpaca lining on my Aero HWM jacket in less than 2 years with about 2 to 3 days use per week. Sent it in for relining and chose the cotton twill. That has held up much better even though it does not keep as worm as the Alpaca. Still have an Alpaca lining in a "Mariner" that holds up well because I wear it in the deepest of winter only. All subsequent jackets were ordered with Twill lining. I'd rather wear a sweater under the jacket than have to replace the lining every once in a while.
Cheers from Zurich
Richard

Peacoat

Bartender
I agree with Richard's assessment of the durability of the Alpaca. While I haven't worn it through in my Highwayman, it is a bit bare in spots. It is a thin lining to begin with, and not very durable. I think one of their wool liners would be a good compromise between the cotton drill--not warm at all--and the Alpaca.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I agree. The alpaca is not as warm as it sounds. While the drill is even less warm it does hold up great. I believe the wool may come in different weight wool liners....

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
OK guys, thanks to your answers, if i follow you, you better suggest to choose one of the wool (tartan ?) linings ?
I read other treads and it seems to be a good compromise between the cotton drill and the alpaca, there is also the tweed but it looks very warm and quite heavy (and the LHB will be so).
Cheers,
F68

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone compare function and durability of the tartan linings vs. cotton drill linings vs. gabardine linings? Likely comparing apples, oranges, and pears though.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Don't discount the heavy blanket tartan ... my brown Highwayman was/is over 20 years old and the original tartan blanket lining ... well worn by me and the previous owner was still in OK nick with only one little hole at the hip which I had darned ant it was fine. Plenty warm in winter as well with a light sweatshirt at most and a scarf.

Surprisingly I find Alpaca and the medium weight tartan a bit itchy on top a T-shirt while I don't suffer the same with the Tartan blanket lining .... even though Alpaca "feels" softer.

Or go the whole hog like me and get Sheepskin lining in your LHB .... not as sweaty as you'd think but go one size up in the jacket, and PURE LUXURY :)

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
OK, i intend to wear it in the 1 to 10° Celcius range, if it below zero, i will put my 1966 peacoat (by the way, thanks MR PEACOAT for your excellent thread on this subject).
So a mid-weight lining will be fine to me.
Cheers,
F68

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, for that temperature range, the mid-weight lining will be fine. Below that, then bring out the real coat (the peacoat).

And thank you for the kind words. Mr. Peacoat.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I was extremely underwhelmed with the warmth of the alpaca lining. I found that even as warm as the high 30s / low 40s I was cold, as i felt the cold leather through the lining. I sent my jacket back after one season and had an extremely short shearling lining put in instead. Luckily i had lost some weight so i had the extra room to spare.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Thanks for all your answers, i will discuss about it with Holly next year.
It's time for me to move on at the Chrismas family party so i wish you a merry Christmas (for those who celebrate it).
Kind regards,
F68

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I find it fairly warm, but fairly itchy as well. I'd prefer a tartan lining and just wear another layer (sweater) if I need extra warmth.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
OK, i intend to wear it in the 1 to 10° Celcius range, if it below zero, i will put my 1966 peacoat (by the way, thanks MR PEACOAT for your excellent thread on this subject).
So a mid-weight lining will be fine to me.
Cheers,
F68

When I see a reference to wool lining, is this what we're talking about? Am I correct in understanding that this is less warm than alpaca? Does is go: shearling, short shearling, alpaca, wool as pictured, then even less warm. Where does quilting come in on this??

woollining.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran