Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero lining for (London) winter?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Loungers, I am contemplating ordering an Aero Stockman for wearing in the London winter. The jacket is lined all over with Alpaca wool as standard, and I'm wondering whether people think this would be too warm. As it happens, I bumped into a couple of very friendly fellow Aero fans on the streets of London the other day and the fellow had a Cheyenne lined all over with alpaca and then a lining of cotton drill on top of that. He said he didn't find it too warm at all. Interested to hear other people's experiences with linings. Personally I don't find the alpaca or wool tartan lining all that warm by itself.

Sir J

tonypaj

Practically Family
Leather is not that warm to begin with in general. The extra layer of cotton drill is more for comfort, I'd think, I have that combined with the regular wool lining in my highwayman, makes it very pleasant to wear, good for this time of year, for me. The rest is up to you, a bit of trial and error here...

Dav

One Too Many
I had the alpaca overlaid with sateen on my Cheyenne as I didn't find the alpaca on its own to be very warm, not sure it has made it that much warmer to be honest, but it's definetly not too warm imo for the sort of weather we've had recently.

FWIW, I was just in the UK, France, and a short stint in Scotland. It was cold and windy (compared to Cali lol ) and I had two Aero's with me - a 50's HBD with Tartan lining and an HG-5 with Alpaca. To be honest, I think the Alpaca-lined HG-5 was a tad warmer, but I felt comfortable with the new Tartan-lined one as well. I wore a "Carhartt" twill shirt under most of the trip and that with a scarf was perfect. The 50's HBD will give more leeway for when it gets warmer too.
I suppose it depends on how cold "you" get.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
A jacket lined with cotton wouldn't feel warm regardless of what is underneath in our climate , cotton is hygroscopic and chills right down when damp and between our damp climate and the lack of breathabilty in leather jackets it will get at least a little damp form persperation and that will chill it down.

I have a bit of fabric which I have lined a jacket with which seems to work very well and that is a silk summer kid mohair blend not particularly warm in itself as it is thin but a very good climate control fabric.....not too warm when it is mild and helps add a little warmth when it is cold and doesnt chill down when damp...I have lined a wax cotton jacket with it, so it does get damp as they are not remotely breathable and it stays warmer then the original cotton lining......if you could get on ebay and get a meter or so of silk wool blend fabric it would be a good liner for the body of a jacket.

One idea I keep toying with is to get a pashmina of ebay,one of the cashmere silk mix ones, as the inner lining for a jacket over something else, it could be a bit fragile but should make a very comfortable warm lining with a bit of sheen from the silk to make it easier to wear.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
I've not got any experience with the Alpaca but I have had tweed, tartan and cotton lined Aeros. The Harris tweed is definitely warmest, with a wool jumper it was fine through the winter last year, if I get too warm I just unzip it to get a bit of air circulation. I'd agree with Tony that the cotton isn't great in the cold/damp, it's hard-wearing and good for warmer weather but it doesn't offer much in the way of warmth.

I really liked the tartan linings but didn't find them particularly hardwearing, so I went for the Harris which is tough warm and looks great. It is fairly breathable but too heavy and warm for summer. It's also quite rough if you're sensitive to wool.

If you're going for only one jacket, go lighter and large enough to layer.
A really heavy/warm jacket won't be enjoyable when it gets warmer. I never used a scarf before this trip. That and the removable sheerling collar are perfect.

Edward

Bartender
My Bootlegger has tartan wool in the body, and moleskin in the sleeves. Good for September to mid November, usually, and late February to Aprilish. From mid November to late January or so, I opt for a B3 or an Irvin instead of any of my leathers. Eventually I want to get myself a Barnstormer with an extra eighteen inches or so length to it (for wearing over a suit) - I'll have that Harris Tweed lined, probably, for the Winter. Seems to me that the wool linings certainly won't be too warm for a London Winter, at least not with the amount of wear I get out of my skeepskins, which are (imo, at least) warmer than any wool lining under horse, goat or cow....

Hal

Practically Family
Hi Edward!
Would like to PM you about this - but your mailbox is full.
Hal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart