Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero lining question

Dav

One Too Many
Hello to everyone at the FL,
I have recently placed an order for a Highwayman FQHH with alpaca lining so i've been enjoying reading all information here:)
What I was wondering was just how common is the lining sag(drop) problem with the Highwayman, I've read that several people have had a leather strip attached to the bottom to rectify this as I have not asked for one should I expect it to happen or is it only occasionally an annoyance in an otherwise A1 jacket?
Thanks in advance for any input and sorry if this has been covered before.

Peacoat

Bartender
My alpaca lining is about 3 years old with no problems so far, but I think with heavy wear it could become a problem. I believe it was Jan Solo who came up with idea initially, and it seems like good insurance to me. If you had the cotton drill lining, probably no need for the band, but with the not so tough wool linings, it could save wear and some sagging of the lining.

I do have a little wear on the alpaca at the waist where my Leatherman Tool rides on my belt. The leather band would eliminate any wear in that area.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I agree with Mr Peacoat, I don't think it is an issue with the cotton drill or other firm fabrics. I can only comment on my own experience and my jacket lined with the soft worsted wool did drop below the jacket hem after about a month of wear. This has nothing to do with the Highwayman style, just the lining chosen.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
This is one of the reasons I had Aero sew a Courderoy strip in at the base of the lining. The main reason, however, was to prevent wear to this part of the lining. Leather will also work, but I like the look of the courderoy better. It has a nice rich sheen to it and looks great next to the Common Riding Wool lining in my Highwayman.
Lenny

andy richards

Practically Family
In the Aero Highwayman and Long Halfbelt I have a leather strap. The reason for doing this is mainly I wear my jackets also when driving a car. This will give more wear on the back and inner back lining. To prevent wear and "over stretching" the interior I asked Aero to place the leather strap.
For me it works great.
Andy

Interior of Highwayman. 3" strap on inner back panel only:
IMG00004-2.jpg

Interior of LHB. Complete covered the lower interior panel:
IMG00018.jpg

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Did you send the jacket back and had it sewn on?
I remember something about them forgetting the leather strip?

Yep!
They took care of it for free.
I did, however, have to pay shipping.:mad:
Lenny

Dav

One Too Many
Leather strip

Thanks everyone for the input, personally I think I'll leave the leather strip off and see how things go, I know you can't see it but I prefer the look without it, if that makes any sense.
Does anyone know what the cost of having it added at a later date is?

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Dav,
Don't really know what the costs will be, but I am sure Amanda at Aero will give you a quote. The people at Aero do repairs at reasonable prices imho.
Good luck,
Andy

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
Dav said:
Thanks everyone for the input, personally I think I'll leave the leather strip off and see how things go, I know you can't see it but I prefer the look without it, if that makes any sense.
Does anyone know what the cost of having it added at a later date is?

$50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner