Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AERO or ALEXANDERS?

4444Design

One of the Regulars
getting attracted by the pics here on the fedora i plan to get a AERO highwayman or something similar from another manufacturer

i know it has been written about AERO garment several times before but i'm getting my question started anyway:

as from what i heard the owner of "Alex's" has previously been working at AERO?

so which of the guys 7 shops / manufacturers is the better adress to get a decent highwayman (Name of highwayman-similar jacke tis different at Alexander)?

i'm askin' from Quality side ...

still i'm hesitating to place the final order coz i never had a Chance to wear or try a Aero or Alex - and sepnding such a heck of Money for a jacket without Fitting seems to be a bit risky to me???

how did you guys "solve" this Problem?

so far i think there is no shop within the 800 km circle selling AERO's otherwise i would have been there before for a size check

for the size - do they run small or are the jackets more on the large / wide side?

hoping for some Support

Thomas in Germany

Peacoat

Bartender
There is a sticky at the top of this page called the Aero Trial Narrative, or something similar. Read that and see if you still have a question as to which company to select.

Edit Note: There is also an extensive thread--169 pp-- titled, "Aero Leather Clothing trial update" that should give additional information if desired.

Last edited:

robrinay

One Too Many
Opinions here differ widely on those two makers. You perhaps need to decide which to buy from for yourself and trust them to make or sell you a jacket based on your measurements. They will advise you by email and you will get the fit you ask for. It just doesn't make sense to just ask those questions here as you will get only opinions based on our experience and fit preferences. You need to balance it by taking advice from the makers too.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I found Aero Highwayman sizes run quite large compared to some other sellers. I tend to run on measurements instead of labels. Why not check out the Aero sale page? They have a bunch of ready made highwayman jackets with free post and same day dispatch for a cheaper price, with measurements already on there. They also have a couple of other highwayman jackets on the sale page to check out. Easiest way is to send them an email with your chest size etc and see what they reccomend.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
Opinions here differ widely on those two makers. You perhaps need to decide which to buy from for yourself and trust them to make or sell you a jacket based on your measurements. They will advise you by email and you will get the fit you ask for. It just doesn't make sense to ask those questions here as you will get only opinions based on our experience.

reason for me asking is the fact, that there a different opinions about the 2 brands - and off course it will be the experience of anyone who ever dealt with aero or Alex - think exchanging experiences is a pretty normal Content of Forums????

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Judging from Alexanders outlet offerings, I wouldn't trust them to make my next jacket. Whose to say my jacket wouldn't be made by that trainee? Yikes.

Mickey Bowtie

New in Town
I do have an Alexander Half Belt. I have no complaints as to quality, fit and customer service.

However, I placed my order and received my jacket before the trial even commenced. Ultimately you will have to make up your own mind, I can only attest that the jacket is of good quality and workmanship.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
I do have an Alexander Half Belt. I have no complaints as to quality, fit and customer service.

However, I placed my order and received my jacket before the trial even commenced. Ultimately you will have to make up your own mind, I can only attest that the jacket is of good quality and workmanship.

i also live in the south of Germany .. - what size did you choose and what is your "nromal" Standard size?

do you know any Shops around Stuttgart with AERO's or Alexanders on stock?

Thomas

getting attracted by the pics here on the fedora i plan to get a AERO highwayman or something similar from another manufacturer

i know it has been written about AERO garment several times before but i'm getting my question started anyway:

as from what i heard the owner of "Alex's" has previously been working at AERO?

so which of the guys 7 shops / manufacturers is the better adress to get a decent highwayman (Name of highwayman-similar jacke tis different at Alexander)?

i'm askin' from Quality side ...

still i'm hesitating to place the final order coz i never had a Chance to wear or try a Aero or Alex - and sepnding such a heck of Money for a jacket without Fitting seems to be a bit risky to me???

how did you guys "solve" this Problem?

so far i think there is no shop within the 800 km circle selling AERO's otherwise i would have been there before for a size check

for the size - do they run small or are the jackets more on the large / wide side?

hoping for some Support

Thomas in Germany

The Managing Director Of Alexander leather was once an Aero employee, along with some of the Alexander machinists.
The Aero Highwayman is very similar to the version that Alexander offers, although Aero offers Horween CXL FQHH where Alexander does not.
Not sure about differences in sizing between Aero & Alexander. Some say Alexander are trimmer, although Aero has a new premier Highwayman that is more form fitting as well. Aero has been in business for several decades with a good reputation for quality as a top jacket maker.
Probably the best way to insure a good fit is to follow the jacket manufacturer's website directions on how to measure yourself. it is also a good idea to take a photo while wearing another jacket that you think fits you well and send pic and that jackets measurements to the jacket company as well in order to insure a good fit.
Also Peacoat's recommendations about reading the trial update and narrative may give you insight about the two jacket companies and how they compare to one another.
HD

Hello!

Highwayman is a boxy, blousy fitting jacket so you definitely don't have to worry about it running small. Most people will tell you to go down a couple of sizes when buying a HWM and while I agree that you're safe to order one a size smaller than what you normally buy in jackets, on the other hand, in my opinion there really is no point in trying to achieve that modern slim fit look with this particular style, as it's just not the type of jacket that's meant for it.

It's best you send your measurements to Aero and let them tell you their thoughts.

As far as Alexander leathers goes, it's best to avoid them. I won't get into particulars, but there's a great chance your lifetime guarantee with Alexander Leathers might be cut very, very short by the time your jacket arrives. If you're after a Highwayman, go with Aero. I'm sure everyone will agree on that.

Lewis Leathers and Mascot Leathers are another two European manufacturers that offer similar styles and are well worth checking out. You can't go wrong with Lewis Leathers Dominator, for example. Best there is.

samo

One of the Regulars
No matter what was written around here about the Alexander leathers I have only positive experiences with them. I think that their jackets are of the same quality as Aeros and the same goes for customer support. From a price point the Alexander jackets are 20% or more cheaper and this more depend on degree of customization which is much expensier at the Aero.

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many

Whatever route you decide, I think it would be an idea to go to a proper tailor and pay them to measure you correctly. When you are ordering your jacket, send those measurements to the maker and let them know how they were measured. They can then be in the best position to advise you on fit and you should get a properly sized jacket. Good luck and have fun searching!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
No matter what was written around here about the Alexander leathers I have only positive experiences with them. I think that their jackets are of the same quality as Aeros and the same goes for customer support. From a price point the Alexander jackets are 20% or more cheaper and this more goes to customization.

Same experience here, i have one of their jackets and it is great. And they remade it 3 times until i was happy.
My brother has one, and it is also very good.
Saying that, i am not sure i would buy again from them after everything that came out.

I wish i could own an Aero, but the fact that they don't alter patterns makes it impossible for me to get one that fits.
(saying that, i plan to visit the factory at some point and hope something will fit me.)

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Haven't owned an AL, but they seem to be constructed very well. However, I think the Aeros are just a bit more tasteful design wise, and you're supporting good people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy