Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aeromarine update

majormajor

One Too Many
Some discussion on other threads about the Aeromarine, and the hide it is made from - and how good it is - or not...

Well here is my experience after around a month wearing one of the first Aeromarines to be produced.

First a comparison shot of the (mid weight HH) hide as it was when I bought it - and how it looks a month later:

marinewearcomp.jpg

And here's a new fit pic:

marinenewfit.jpg

Do I like this jacket? YES! :D;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looking good. :thumb: Did use of the buttons require any breaking in? Were the buttons designed with opposing "backer" buttons, and if so were the backer buttons placed in between the two leather panels or all the way through on the inside of the jacket (hope I expressed myself well enough to make sense)?

majormajor

One Too Many
Looking good. :thumb: Did use of the buttons require any breaking in? Were the buttons designed with opposing "backer" buttons, and if so were the backer buttons placed in between the two leather panels or all the way through on the inside of the jacket (hope I expressed myself well enough to make sense)?

Hi Fanch,

Just plain sewn on buttons:eeek:

I only do the bottom four up. Almost impossible the first two times. Dead easy now:D;)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Major, this made from Aero's "A-2 leathers"? Or did they get a whole new line of mid weight hides?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
If I were you I'd add backing buttons. An easy fix, but far more secure and the result would put less stress on the leather in use.

majormajor

One Too Many
Maybe the lack of backing buttons is because it's pre-production.[huh]

My mistake. Just had a closer look, and it DOES have concealed backing buttons between the two layers of hide. My apologies for not looking properly!:eeek:

Major, this made from Aero's "A-2 leathers"? Or did they get a whole new line of mid weight hides?

I'm honestly not sure, breton. It looks very similar to the hide that my last Aero A2 was made from (and is weathering in the same fashion), but does seem a little thicker. To be honest, Ken had a bewildering assortment of hides in stock when I was last at the factory. So it could be what is used for A2s, or it could be something else.;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think there's a lot of random stuff left over from the previous regime buying willy nilly.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I don't fancy a jacket made out of "Willy Nilly" .... sounds like the excess material from a circumcision ........... you could have a Highwayman in it which if you rubbed it would become a Barnstormer.

Eye thenk yew ... I'm here all week :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My mistake. Just had a closer look, and it DOES have concealed backing buttons between the two layers of hide. My apologies for not looking properly!:eeek: QUOTE]

Major, I suspected that your Aeromarine did, in fact, have concealed backing buttons between the two layers of hide. My Teamster has the same arrangement. Should repair or replacement be necessary, the repair must be made by accessing the backer button(s) between the two layers of hide, which turns minor surgery into major surgery. :eeek: I did have a question that others might be able to answer: Although not cosmetically as optimal, why not place the backer button on the other side so it would be visible on the inside of the jacket but might simplify repair or replacement?

I did have a question that others might be able to answer: Although not cosmetically as optimal, why not place the backer button on the other side so it would be visible on the inside of the jacket but might simplify repair or replacement?
Most of the A-1's I've seen (or owned) had them like that. Makes more sense, and I like the look. Forget trying to fix it with buttons in the middle :eeek:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It does seem like a bit of sophistry that's unecessarily complex.
Is the button likely to fail? Not necessarily; is it possible? Absolutely.
Certainly a neat finish, but it's a bit of a risky twist IMHO.
You know the story: the first time that button snags on something solid, your heart is in your mouth as you're not only scrabbling on floor looking for a popped button, but also contemplating opening a seam to retrieve/reattach the backing button.
Sod's law...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21