Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's Greg field vs. Julie L.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Being an Aero fan, I have had two jackets made by Julie and the most recent one made by Greg Fields. It seems both are fantastic at their craft.

Do you guys have a preference for one vs. the other. Any opinions on Julie vs. Greg's work and art compartively ? Just wondering out of curiosity [huh]

pawineguy

One Too Many
Being an Aero fan, I have had two jackets made by Julie and the most recent one made by Greg Fields. It seems both are fantastic at their craft.

Do you guys have a preference for one vs. the other. Any opinions on Julie vs. Greg's work and art compartively ? Just wondering out of curiosity [huh]

Greg is actually a new name for me, and may be one of the newer machinists. (but I could be wrong) Julie is the queen bee, with over 12,000 jackets made, and tackles many of the most difficult builds.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Julie made my Teamster, Pioneer, Mulligan, and Maxwell all to perfection. I am unfamilar with Greg.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I had a JL jacket I bought 2nd hand. Faultless. I had a new one is sent back as there was some wonky stitching and a bit of mismatching in the brown panels, ( some really light, some really dark) I don't know who made that one, I didn't check. I'm expecting a new jacket late next week, no idea who made it. Will chime in once I know.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Alan at Johnson Leathers told me the heavier hides (like Aero uses) are difficult to work with. I don't know how much that influences less than perfect stitching, but the way I see it, unless there's some glaring defect I'm grateful for the finished product, knowing how much labor went into the jacket. Anyone ever looked at all of the stitching in a jacket? It's a labyrinth! Anyone who puts these things together, hats off to them. Forget Picasso, that is true art.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I pulled my JL-made jacket out of the box, felt the weight of it, smelled the smell, inspected the seams, and tried it on, I was laughing the whole time. All I could hear in my head was my mom's Glaswegian voice giving me the ultimate sartorial approval: "That'll last ya."

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Personally I think it's a bit unfair comparing various workmates on these forums. I do think that it could create a sought of one-upmanship. I have a jacket made by Julie and I am very proud to own it, but when I ordered this item it could have been made by any worker, and as long as it passed quality control I am happy with it, I would still be proud to own it.
Julie is one of those employees who's skill and dedication all employees should at least strive to equal.
Comparing companies and their products, Eastman, Vanson, Aero, Lost World and all the rest is a different matter though.

I agree!
It's not enough that Aero makes great jackets, but now it's come to who's craftsmanship is better at Aero?!?
Come on guys.
Enjoy your jackets!
Done.

Personally I think it's a bit unfair comparing various workmates on these forums. I do think that it could create a sought of one-upmanship. I have a jacket made by Julie and I am very proud to own it, but when I ordered this item it could have been made by any worker, and as long as it passed quality control I am happy with it, I would still be proud to own it.

Signed and seconded.

I had Aero jackets made by three people, JL included, and all were made equally well. For what's it worth, my HWM is made by 'RSM' and it's the one I just couldn't help notice stitching to be absolutely perfect.

nick123

I'll Lock Up

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If I haven't bought my Sheene so recently I would have love to order one!

That ladies 1930 jacket is nothing like your Sheene. So, with no duplication of jackets, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for you not to order one. ;) :D

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
from the pictures I assume, with central zipper jackets, a lady version has more / \ torso, and man version is \ /, and japan version is | |

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner