Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aertex Battledress - Request for Info

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi all,

I just got myself an Aertex battledress (for tropic/desert use) which appears to be from 1944. I can't find too much info about it, apart the fact that it might've been made in India (not sure how to identify the origin of the battledress from the stamps on the jacket)

From what I understand the "jacket" is worn more as a shirt and it appears the buttons are made of coconut shell (or some organic material).

Any help re the origin of this jacket would be appreciated.

Thank you & regards,
B.

AertexBDStamps004.jpg

AertexBDfront001.jpg

AertexBDfront002.jpg

AertexBDlaidflat003.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Hello

Yes, Indian pattern from late in the war. The pocket flaps and the nut buttons are the give away in general for khaki BD. British manufacture (which doesn't include 'Aertex') has pointed flaps. Your excellent example has six button fastening - some have five. The buckle is unusual too, wider than the usual wire buckle - possibly a better replacement. The stamps relate to storage and issue rather than manufacture. Much of the WW2 BD was made in Panipat in central India.

blethook

One of the Regulars
Hi,

Thanks for the prompt response! Your knowledge on the subject is amazing :)

The buckle appears to be solid brass (no marking), and yes possibly a replacement. There is an internal (left) chest pocket as well, complete with a securing button. Overall, the jacket appears to be very well made.

Thanks again

Hello

Yes, Indian pattern from late in the war. The pocket flaps and the nut buttons are the give away in general for khaki BD. British manufacture (which doesn't include 'Aertex') has pointed flaps. Your excellent example has six button fastening - some have five. The buckle is unusual too, wider than the usual wire buckle - possibly a better replacement. The stamps relate to storage and issue rather than manufacture. Much of the WW2 BD was made in Panipat in central India.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot