Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aging beautifully and gracefully, then vs now: Who did it better?

MissMittens

One Too Many
That's ME! I have said to many, I never thought I was interesting to myself until I was thirty.

I'm now fifty-four and I'm amazing. :eek:

:)

That's the thing here I think.......if women start accepting themselves more, and caring less what the media portrays, the media will have to change because their marketing will no longer be working. If people stop buying all the diet supplements, stop trying to fit into size 4 and below, stop chasing the Hollywood fashionistas, the market forces alone will change the media focus

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I don't do DIET supplements, but I do take a daily bunch of vitamins/supplements. And I do sooo love my (face and neck primarily) expensive lotions and potions:)

That's the thing here I think.......if women start accepting themselves more, and caring less what the media portrays, the media will have to change because their marketing will no longer be working. If people stop buying all the diet supplements, stop trying to fit into size 4 and below, stop chasing the Hollywood fashionistas, the market forces alone will change the media focus

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Boys From Marketing know that will never happen. Women were supposed to have thrown off the bonds of male-defined stereotyping and cultural oppression forty years ago, and you know what? It *never happened.* All that happened was that the stereotyping and oppression was wrapped up in a fresh new package and it's sold just as well as it ever did.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a 'Spring season', I was strawberry blonde as a baby. It darkened to a medium golden brown as an adult.

I'm now fifty- four and have been colouring my hair for who knows how many years.

In the 1980s landmark book, Color Me Beautiful (which I've aheld to its good advice ever since), it says about us Springs- "...doesn't gray attractively, color your hair." Works for fellow Spring Julie Andrews, works for me.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
YES!

I never get fashion magazines or pay attention to the media (and have worked hard to instill that in my now 18yo dd), except for maybe I do look at what Judi Dench and Hellen Mirren are wearing at events!

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Women were supposed to have thrown off the bonds of male-defined stereotyping and cultural oppression forty years ago, and you know what? It *never happened.* All that happened was that the stereotyping and oppression was wrapped up in a fresh new package and it's sold just as well as it ever did.

The stereotypes are also imposed by women or what women are told men want becomes the opressor. An example of that is shoes. Not many men really care about what type of shoe a woman is wearing unless you are jogging or dancing with the woman (I would have added chasing the woman down the street, but not everyone realizes when I am joking).

The stereotypes are becoming stronger and more dangerous as shown by the increases in eating disorders (that is an example of girls thinking they are conforming to what boys want. Most boys would want enough body fat for the girls to develop secondary sex characteristics.)

I am ready for the bombardment for my political incorrectness.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
That's ME! I have said to many, I never thought I was interesting to myself until I was thirty.

I'm now fifty-four and I'm amazing. :eek:

HAHA! I am 37 and I'm far more interesting and amazing than I was when I was an 18 year old idiot (speaking for myself here, BTW). If I'm twice as amazing at age 37 as I was at age 18, I can imagine my amazingness will be off the scales when I am in my 50s.

I'm 37 and I have a pink steak in my hair. If that makes me "clinging to my youth" then so be it -- but I enjoy being my age. I can pass for 27, but have the wisdom of 37. Been there and done that...lol

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
I'm a 'Spring season', I was strawberry blonde as a baby. It darkened to a medium golden brown as an adult.

I'm now fifty- four and have been colouring my hair for who knows how many years.

In the 1980s landmark book, Color Me Beautiful (which I've aheld to its good advice ever since), it says about us Springs- "...doesn't gray attractively, color your hair." Works for fellow Spring Julie Andrews, works for me.

Guys do it too......
"Just For Men" is cleverly-marketed non-permanent hair dye ;) I say cleverly marketed, because the men who use it have to 1) pay more than permanent hair dye with a woman's head on the box, 2) buy it more regularly because it's not permanent, :lol:

I almost share the same color as you btw......started out platinum blonde but am now more strawberry (under the hat) lol

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
I'm 37 and I have a pink steak in my hair. If that makes me "clinging to my youth" then so be it -- but I enjoy being my age. I can pass for 27, but have the wisdom of 37. Been there and done that...lol

Same here.....right place, right clothing for the venue, and I can easily drop 10 yrs. It's our generation as a whole.....I've been noticing, we're really NOT aging the same way our parents did, for example

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Same here.....right place, right clothing for the venue, and I can easily drop 10 yrs. It's our generation as a whole.....I've been noticing, we're really NOT aging the same way our parents did, for example

Exactly. I remember when my mother and aunt were 37. They looked older. Even if I make myself look "normal" I still look 27!! I just LOOK younger. I actually don't like it sometimes because I'm proud of the time I was born. I also get people trying to pull fast ones on me...but as I said: Been there, done that!!! lol

I agree with the fact that these silly hair colors out of boredom are a bit much.

I've tossed back and forth whether or not I'll color my hair someday. Both my parents do. I think perhaps a 'touch of gray' type thing may be a solid bet.

That plastic surgery thing is risky business. They screwed up Kenny Rogers' surgery when they did it. He regrets ever having done it.
I look at hair dye like blood pressure medication: some people need it as they age, others don't, but it's not something one should do out of boredom (pink hair, green hair, etc). To me, it's like makeup - a lady shouldn't feel guilty for dying her hair anymore than using cosmetics, but a little modesty goes a long way.

Men dying their hair is vanity. If a man needs to be vain to get out of bed, fine, but he's still vain nonetheless.

I'm also not too big on plastic surgery. Work with the cards you're given. Sure, if you're disfigured or burnt to pieces, or if a chimp bites off your face, I get it. But if you're getting wrinkles, suck it up and smile.

You and my mother both are on the short list of women who refuse to cut their hair off. My ma's is down to her waist. She colors hers, because she gets what Dad calls a "Lily Munster streak" in it.

I dye my hair, and have since I was in my twenties -- I started to get a grey streak when I was sixteen, and the last person I want to look like is Susan Sontag. I also refuse to get it cut into the Menopausal Helmet. My grandmother never did, so why should I?

MissMittens

One Too Many
I'm listening to a classic alternative channel on itunes right now, aimed at the 30+ crowd.........and the ads are for ARTHRITIS medications.....talk about feeling old. I've just decided I'm going to grow old gracefully when age starts to leave more tell-tale signs than can be ignored, snicker. Till then, I refuse to be a number :D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm listening to a classic alternative channel on itunes right now, aimed at the 30+ crowd.........and the ads are for ARTHRITIS medications.....talk about feeling old. I've just decided I'm going to grow old gracefully when age starts to leave more tell-tale signs than can be ignored, snicker. Till then, I refuse to be a number :D

Same. I'm feeling some effects of getting older already. I get heartburn almost every day now. When I was 25 I could lose 10 pounds in a month if I put my mind to it. Now, I'll lose 10 lbs in about 3 months lol The excema I get on my hands in the spring is about 3 times worse than it ever was and I just can't do amusement rides like I used to!!! *sigh*

MissMittens

One Too Many
I don't have most of the effects people my age have (yet) thankfully. I just have other health issues I was born with, but nothing really new with age so far. I know it's yet to come :/ But even then, it beats the alternative

Yup, if I had a nickel for every 'Life Alert' commercial on when I'm watching a program

Also, I get a pop-up ad on my computer every now and then which has pictures of women in their fifties and says "We don't want younger men, we want YOU!" I'm left thinking "Well, you can only go 3 years younger than me and still be in the confines of legality."

MissMittens

One Too Many
LOL!!! I'm not that much older than you, but my ex now qualifies for AARP membership, LOL!!!

I'm NEVER again going for an older woman who likes people MY age :D Cougar means NO :D

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Same. I'm feeling some effects of getting older already. I get heartburn almost every day now. When I was 25 I could lose 10 pounds in a month if I put my mind to it. Now, I'll lose 10 lbs in about 3 months lol The excema I get on my hands in the spring is about 3 times worse than it ever was and I just can't do amusement rides like I used to!!! *sigh*

My allergies are worse than they used to be, not counting the new allergies that have popped up. Like Amy, I have to work much harder at not gaining weight. My eyesight is suddenly going, and my short-term memory isn't what it was.

Physically speaking, getting old sucks.

I Don't know about you, but vintage seems to be a 'Cougar Magnet' around here. My buddy is really into older women and it drives him nuts when we go out and they wanna talk to me. I told him I'll borrow him a fedora and a sport coat lol

LOL!!! I'm not that much older than you, but my ex now qualifies for AARP membership, LOL!!!

I'm NEVER again going for an older woman who likes people MY age :D Cougar means NO :D

m0nk

One Too Many
Allergies.......yes, I forgot about that. I now have allergies I never had. I didn't equate that with an advancement in age though.....
I got allergies around age 19, and the severity comes and goes each year. It started when I got my first cat, and now I have seasonal allergies, and even an allergy to some food product that the doctors haven't yet nailed down (scratch tests didn't reveal anything specific). I've learned to carry an Epipen to restaurants I've never been to before. Age could be a factor, but my guess is that it's just like aging and being influenced by environment....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR