Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. 1mach1

1mach1

Agreed. On both points.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. RJR

RJR

+1

Zombie_61 likes this.
  3. jlw

jlw One of the Regulars

I guess I could put these in the new hats thread, but since they are Akubras, I'll put them here.

Up first is a Stockman in Glen Grey. It came out of the box with the sides of the brim upswept, which I didn't like; so, I flattened it out. I got help from a local boot store's hat guy in putting the front an rear turndown in the brim. The side dents don't have quite the definition that I want, but I can live with it for now. We also put some oval shape in the fit. Overall, I'm pleased, but I will probably do more work on the side dents.

[​IMG]

Next up is an International. I like the weight of this hat. Ultimately, I don't know how well the brim will hold its shape.

[​IMG]

4. RJR

RJR

Both look good to me;I like the "outback"brim treatment.

jlw and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. I agree. I like the side dents and crown shape on the International, but on the Stockman they could be a little larger/deeper/more defined. I mean, it's not bad as-is, but could look better with just a little tweaking.

RJR likes this.
  6. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

I don't seem to have that on my Akubra hats

[​IMG]
    Campdraft Deluxe Moonstone

[​IMG]
    Fed IV Deluxe Moonstone

[​IMG]
    "RM" (RM Williams/Akubra)

[​IMG]
    Banjo Paterson Heritage Fawn (with a thin ribbon)

[​IMG]
    Campdraft Silverbelly

johnnycanuck, Eliesti and BobHufford like this.
  7. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

Pretty sure I see it on the moonstone and sb CDs

It is definitely common and something Akubra needs to look into

Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.
  8. andrew_AU

andrew_AU A-List Customer

Really??

Perhaps I'm in denial.

I'm wearing the moonstone CD today. I think that was a shadow in the pic.

Here's another pic from today

[​IMG]

Can you see it in this pic?

johnnycanuck and RJR like this.
  9. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

yes ... it is faint but I definitely see it

saw it more on the left side of the moonstone in the other pic but I can't lie ... I definitely see it here

10. bluesforchallah

bluesforchallah Practically Family

BGGCD

[​IMG]

11. Duper

Duper Practically Family

I don't drop by as often these days but this is the one thread that really draws me in. I love my Akubras. You can find me in one most everyday. I am glad to see we are all still keeping them in business.

Looking good gentleman!

,,,Mike in Canada

Zombie_61, Redfokker and Bob Roberts like this.
  12. CHB

CHB New in Town

Hey guys - I'm a brand new owner of an Akubra Tablelands in Sorrel Tan. First Akubra that I've purchased. A beautiful hat and I couldn't be more excited. Ordered to the United States from Sam at Everything Australian, and everything went quite smoothly. Sam added a kangaroo strap upon my request. Upon arrival and with guidance from Sam, I removed the Akubra label on the side, including the small 2" leather piece behind it, namely because I'm not a "brand forward" type of guy whenever I can avoid it. It came off quite easily and I have no regrets. For sizing, I bought a 60 cm even though my head measured 59 cm based on guidance in these forums and from EA, and after two weeks of ownership, I intentionally took a quick swim with my hat in a local river with some of the clearest, cleanest water you'll find. I wore it for the next 10 hours straight and wa-lah - it now fits perfectly. I'm not worried about any additional shrinkage as some already occurred with the dunk (even though I will now intentionally avoid any hat dunking in the future).

So there's the backstory, but I come here with a question. Inadvertently, earlier today while loading a freshly cut Christmas tree on top of my car, the back of my brim flipped up. I didn't notice it until taking a picture with my daughter and observing the photo afterward. Well, after a few looks in the mirror and some flipping experimentation (photos included in this post), I've decided I much prefer the flip in the back as it generally just looks better on my head and fits within my own tastes and preferences. Now for my question after the long winded introduction - If I simply leave it flipped, as shown in the photos, will any long term damage occur to the brim of the hat? Likewise, will it eventually keep the flip or will I need to consistently monitor to flip it back up, if need be? As a sidenote for any replies, the felt is their Imperial Quality, so it's nothing to mess around with. I'm just not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing when it comes to this particular "issue".

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

johnnycanuck and Redfokker like this.
  13. ryan_289

ryan_289 Familiar Face

Just joined the forum and thought I would share so I snapped a pic while fooling around in the shop. Here is my first real fedora. Ive had it for over a decade but have just now started wearing it around the house and on the farm. Its a Federation.
    [​IMG]

Im starting to look into another hat. While I like my current fedora, it will be nice to go to town without the "hey Indy" comments!

14. RJR

RJR

Honestly,you'll get used to comments.The FED looks good on you.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. RJR

RJR

The flip of the brim won't hurt a thing.You may have to "pop" it up occasionally but I'd be surprised if it doesn't stay after awhile.

CHB and Zombie_61 like this.
  16. Benzadmiral

Benzadmiral Call Me a Cab

This is my Carbon Grey Fed IV, which in low light looks nearly black, but here is more iron gray in color. I have it shaped with a kind of "diamond with dome" style, so it has less of the Raiders look:

Carbon_Fed_03.jpg Carbon_Fed_01.jpg

But let's face it, you're probably going to get the "Indy" or (less logically) "cowboy" remarks now and then anyway. Most people these days haven't seen a fedora in real life in some time, and they won't be able to tell the difference between an Akubra Fed IV and a Campdraft.

17. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

True. People today are lost if they can't peg something to a vaguely remembered image from the mass media. Life imitating art has become a kind of psychosis. Fly above it. Someone recently remarked that I dressed like a college professor he saw on some TV show: this was said on the campus where I teach.

Briarup and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. ryan_289

ryan_289 Familiar Face

Im not likely to get the cowboy comments. I live in the South where cowboy style hats are common. I even have a straw western styled hat that I wear on the tractor in the summer.

19. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I've never gotten any Indy comments.

Zombie_61 and Frunobulax like this.
  20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'm with ya, Bob. I'm mostly surprised as to the lack of comments from some since I started wearing fedoras.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Rogera, Zombie_61 and Bob Roberts like this.