Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rainy spring day
IMG_1603.jpeg
IMG_1604.jpeg

G MAN

One of the Regulars
My birthday is in June so my wife told me to order myself a new hat.
I wanted the Dark Brown Fed IV Deluxe so I kept checking the Hattery but as you probably know Akubra hats are hard to get right now.
I reached out to the Hattery in April asking when they expected any new Fed's and I was told that were getting a delivery from Akubra in May and they would put one in my size 59 aside for me.
On April 30th I got the email that it was there.
The Hattery has great customer service and I can't say that enough.
The only problem now is that my Wife won't give me the hat until my Birthday which is still five weeks away.
It will be a tuff wait but worth it.
70542530733__FB849780-99A9-494F-8CE2-C9809925E9F1.jpg

Last edited:

wsmontana

A-List Customer
My birthday is in June so my wife told me to order myself a new hat.
I wanted the Dark Brown Fed IV Deluxe so I kept checking the Hattery but as you probably know Akubra hats are hard to get right now.
I reached out to the Hattery in April asking when they expected any new Fed's and I was told that were getting a delivery from Akubra in May and they would put one in my size 59 aside for me.
On April 30th I got the email that it was there.
The Hattery has great customer service and I can't say that enough.
The only problem now is that my Wife won't give me the hat until my Birthday which is still five weeks away.
It will be a tuff wait but worth it.
View attachment 516979
Congrats on the hat! I wonder if you should at least try it on to make sure it fits? Doesn’t the Hattery have a 30 day exchange/return window? ;-)

Last edited:

PDXHAT

One of the Regulars
With hot temperatures back to the PNW and yard work to be done, I found the fancy lightweight straws were not cutting it for sun protection. I grabbed the Campdraft and to my surprise it was comfortable even in the 80s. So, a Cattleman is on the way, reserved for these hot days and working in the yard. I'm looking forward to that brim!

oscarzeta

New in Town
Hello, I haven’t been here long and this is my first post. I know this question has been asked before but I couldn’t find the specific answer so I figured I’d ask. I’m new to hats over the past couple of years, but as I recently turned 50, for some reason I’m wanting to wear one more and more. Perhaps I care less what people think now.

I started off with an Angler, which is great, but a bit hot in this Texas summer, even though I removed the liner. I then purchased a Cattleman, which has been fantastic. I wear it pretty much daily and I find the felt to be lightweight (thin?) enough that I can wear it in the hot Texas summer, no problem. It is just amazing and I can’t imagine not having it at this point.

What I would like is another hat made of the same lightweight felt as the Cattleman, except with a smaller brim (maybe 2.75”) like the Angler or Banjo Paterson. For whatever reason (felt thickness, weight, I don’t know) the Angler feels much hotter on my head than the Cattleman. I wouldn’t stop wearing the Cattleman, but I would like to have the original Cattleman and then a smaller brimmed hat made of the same lightweight felt for occasions when I don’t want as big a brim. I’d like to alternate these 2 hats.

Does Akubra make something in a smaller brim with the lightweight felt like the Cattleman? Is the Banjo the same thickness felt as the Angler? What about the Stockman? Should I get another Cattleman and trim the brim? I’d love to have this perfect (in my mind) combination of hats, if possible. Thanks for any help or advice. I don’t have any way to try these on locally.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hello, I haven’t been here long and this is my first post. I know this question has been asked before but I couldn’t find the specific answer so I figured I’d ask. I’m new to hats over the past couple of years, but as I recently turned 50, for some reason I’m wanting to wear one more and more. Perhaps I care less what people think now.

I started off with an Angler, which is great, but a bit hot in this Texas summer, even though I removed the liner. I then purchased a Cattleman, which has been fantastic. I wear it pretty much daily and I find the felt to be lightweight (thin?) enough that I can wear it in the hot Texas summer, no problem. It is just amazing and I can’t imagine not having it at this point.

What I would like is another hat made of the same lightweight felt as the Cattleman, except with a smaller brim (maybe 2.75”) like the Angler or Banjo Paterson. For whatever reason (felt thickness, weight, I don’t know) the Angler feels much hotter on my head than the Cattleman. I wouldn’t stop wearing the Cattleman, but I would like to have the original Cattleman and then a smaller brimmed hat made of the same lightweight felt for occasions when I don’t want as big a brim. I’d like to alternate these 2 hats.

Does Akubra make something in a smaller brim with the lightweight felt like the Cattleman? Is the Banjo the same thickness felt as the Angler? What about the Stockman? Should I get another Cattleman and trim the brim? I’d love to have this perfect (in my mind) combination of hats, if possible. Thanks for any help or advice. I don’t have any way to try these on locally.
Hats like the Campdraft or Leisuretime are (according to the Hats by the Hundred website) the same Imperial felt as the Cattleman - but so is the Angler. Both hats are lined, so you would need to remove the lining. Neither have eyelets for venting. There is some debate on how effective the venting is anyhow, but both hats are available in lighter colours, which should help with the heat. The light sand Leisuretime is lighter than the silverbelly Campdraft.
The Leisuretime has a 70mm brim, the Campdraft a 73mm brim. I don’t have a Leisuretime, but my wife loves her three. I love my Campdraft, but wish it came in the light sand colour.
Most vented options seem to have a wider brim and come in darker colours, perhaps because as work hats, they are more likely to get dirty.
That’s my two cents worth.

oscarzeta

New in Town
Thanks for that information! I had wondered if all imperial quality felt was the same. Interestingly, even though the Angler and Cattleman are both of the imperial quality felt, the Angler seems much thicker and more stiff than the Cattleman. Maybe that’s just in my samples? The entire Cattleman (brim, crown, etc) seems thinner, lighter weight and more flexible than my Angler. My Cattleman is lighter in weight than my Angler, presumably because it uses lighter weight felt, though I guess I could be wrong about that now. Maybe I just have some odd examples in my possession. Makes me wonder what I’ll get if I order a Leisuretime or Stockman.

BlackSmp

New in Town
Thanks for that information! I had wondered if all imperial quality felt was the same. Interestingly, even though the Angler and Cattleman are both of the imperial quality felt, the Angler seems much thicker and more stiff than the Cattleman. Maybe that’s just in my samples? The entire Cattleman (brim, crown, etc) seems thinner, lighter weight and more flexible than my Angler. My Cattleman is lighter in weight than my Angler, presumably because it uses lighter weight felt, though I guess I could be wrong about that now. Maybe I just have some odd examples in my possession. Makes me wonder what I’ll get if I order a Leisuretime or Stockman.
My experience (Camp draft, Leisuretime, Snowy River and Bronco) is that Leisure time (the latest, light sand) is a really nice hat and currently my favorite. When in the city, I tend to use the Camp draft and Leisure time due to their smaller brims and less stiffness.

The Snowy Rivers are for "cabin work" as yesterday. The Snowy Rivers have thicker felt. I think that the Camp Draft and Leisure Time have a slight thinner felt (no difference between the two of those). But I tend to get quite warm in any of my hats. View attachment 519832

Attachments

• Greenshot 2023-05-24 06.38.17.png
    Greenshot 2023-05-24 06.38.17.png
    499 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
The felt in the Boss is not the same as the felt in the Territory. (my experience)

They may or may not be the same mixture, but the territory is significantly thicker and stiffer.

oscarzeta

New in Town
Ok, so I guess some of their models do have thicker/thinner felt. I compared my Angler with my Cattleman closely last night and it really seems that the Angler has thicker, stiffer felt. I’d love to get a hat with a smaller brim than the Cattleman in the same lightweight felt. It just feels perfect to me, even in the hot sun.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

My experience is Akubras with bound brims have thinner felt. Cattleman, Coober Pedy, Tablelands.
I have a cattleman and my sister has the Coober Pedy. Both are significantly thinner than any of my other Akubra hats.
Johnny

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I have a Stockman, a Stylemaster, a Fed IV Deluxe, and a Banjo Paterson. In order of thickness of felt, I think the Stylemaster is probably the thinnest felt, the BP is next, then the Stockman, though not by much, and oddly enough the Fed IV Deluxe has the thickest felt, all slightly different. If I had to pick my favorite of my Akubras I think it would be my BP but they are all great hats. I'm still considering adding a Campdraft at some point though. ;)

20230524_193100.jpg

Last edited:

glider

A-List Customer
The simple answer is to get another cattleman and have a hat shop cut the brim down. Actually, you can probably do it yourself, I have. You can get a tool just for that, but you really don't need it. There ya go, problem solved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner