Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
If I asked a bunch of people what color my Acorn Fawn Stylemaster is, the response would be "brown".

100_1248a.jpg

I think this is the day I got it....since then I've worn it almost every day for six months. My wife much prefers it to my Resistol Open Road clone, and I think it's a combination of the color (brown vs. silverbelly) and the crown being higher on the Resistol. She claims the Stylemaster "blends in" and the Resistol is a cowboy hat.

I just got an Akubra Capricorn for Summer wear, and she likes that, too. I think she digs lower crowns...maybe because I'm already much taller than she is.

That Stylemaster has become so comfortable and familiar I was really not looking forward to putting it away for the Summer, but the Capricorn is going to take the sting out of that.

innisart

New in Town
Unrefined, but willing to learn

Colby Jack- I know, I know, but I'm still a neophyte.;) I expect that in a year or so, I will be touting the virtues of the Fed IV (or V by then?), and wondering how I could have ever have worn the Stylemaster, but for know, it's probably a good place for me to start. Now I need to decide on a color... probably acorn, with steel, mid-brown, and moonstone following in order of color preference.:eek:

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
innisart said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=748605&postcount=4

Thanks, Top Gumby. My wife likes your color choice, and thinks that is the one from which I'd get the most mileage, so that might end up being my first.

The only time I've wished for something else is when I'm wearing a gray suit...I think I might pop for a Stylemaster in a gray to fill that niche.

Oh, and nothing against those fine, high crowns but for some, low is a good way to go, and you might find that you prefer low in an urban setting...but, who knows, a year from now you may be sporting toppers and boaters.

That's what makes this place great - here you will find true diversity.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
innisart said:
Colby Jack- I know, I know, but I'm still a neophyte.;) I expect that in a year or so, I will be touting the virtues of the Fed IV (or V by then?), and wondering how I could have ever have worn the Stylemaster, but for know, it's probably a good place for me to start. Now I need to decide on a color... probably acorn, with steel, mid-brown, and moonstone following in order of color preference.:eek:
innisart...if you stay around long enough...you will crave the taller crown...:eek: :D :eusa_clap ...The Stylemaster is an excellent choice to begin with...and collect all the colors you can...:eusa_clap

IC...a brother of the tall crown!:D :eusa_clap

Spats McGee

One Too Many
The crown on the Stylemaster may be too low for some, but I dig it. One of these days, I might get something with a higher crown, but my Stylemasters go with just about everything I own. They're also really nice to wear.

Somewhere around here, there's also a picture of one in mid-grey. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit: Here are a couple of pics of Gilgamark's mid-grey Stylemaster: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=738723&postcount=630

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
A few weeks ago I received an Akubra Traveller and I thought I’d offer my thoughts on the hat. First I need to say that when it showed up I really didn’t like it. So much so I put it up for sale.

Why didn’t I like it? Well, the fit was awful – it was way too big even though it was supposed to be my size (59). As well, I couldn’t get used to the wide un-snapable (is that even a word?) brim. However, after a few days things changed for the better. The hat suddenly fit properly and I think that was because the cardboard insert that shipped with it distorted the hat. The Traveller is made of Pilofelt, a crushable fur felt and so it can be mashed rather easily. I think that’s what happened because after a few days of being out of the box it fit perfectly when I tried it on.

Having gotten over the sizing issue I still had the wide brim to deal with. The Traveller is the kind of hat that looks good in certain situations only (in my opinion and at least for me); it’s not as versatile as say my Federation IV which I can wear with just about anything. No, when you put the Traveller on you need to be in a certain state – globetrotting, exploring, hiking, out in the yard – those sort of things. And that’s how I ended up keeping it – yard work. I wanted to wear a hat while I was clearing some stones and figured what the hell, I’ll wear the Traveller. I was pleasantly surprised, it’s quite comfortable, does a great job of keeping the sun off you with that wider brim and I soon forgot I was even wearing it. So I decided to keep it and here I am giving a little review.

As mentioned before the Traveller is made from Pilofelt – real fur but crushable. It has an odd feel to it – very similar to a wool hat. It’s thicker than a “regular” fur felt as thick as a wool felt hat. It’s fuzzier than a fur felt hat, much like a wool felt hat. It’s softer to the touch than wool, and holds its shape more than wool, but in visual appearance they are almost identical.The sweatband is cloth and there is no liner. Apparently both these features are to facilitate the crushability. In addition, there is a nylon stiffener sewn into the edge of the brim to help it retain its shape. You can’t really tell it’s there but Akubra says it is. The only real evidence is the edge of the brim is folded over itself and sewn. The band is 5/16” thick woven leather with a little “Akubra” pin on one side.

As the hat is designed to go back to its original shape it’s not an open crown. It comes with a teardrop crease with two subtle side dents. I’d like to have the dents a little more pronounced, but they just keep bouncing back to their original shape. I don’t know if steaming them would help, I haven’t tried that yet.

Is it crushable? Yes. I’ve squat the crown down (cringing as I did) and pushed it back into shape with no signs of being crushed. I haven’t done any time tests (5 hours in a suitcase or something like that) but it seems like it would certainly survive being in a suitcase or in a luggage bin. Is it rollable? No. It’s not designed to be rolled and the memory wire in the brim means rolling is a no-no.

I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but I have to say it's grown on my and it's the first thing I grab when I'm going out in the yard.

3547381806_2610f72f6b_b.jpg

3547380114_99115b55dd_b.jpg

3547378428_ed12b46e14_b.jpg

3546575731_b2e65c39ce_b.jpg

3537670134_d297b3285f.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Finally.....

These two probably have more brim than you are looking for, innisart, but here are some comparative shots of a Campdraft and a Squatter.

hpim0853.jpg

hpim0854.jpg

hpim0855.jpg

stibbons

New in Town
FurFeltFedora said:
As the hat is designed to go back to its original shape it’s not an open crown. It comes with a teardrop crease with two subtle side dents. I’d like to have the dents a little more pronounced, but they just keep bouncing back to their original shape. I don’t know if steaming them would help, I haven’t tried that yet.

I have an International made from the same Pilofelt. It came with a centre crease, but with some steam and a little effort I've reshaped it to a teardrop and altered the side dents slightly.

It seems to take a little more work than regular felt, and still seems to retain some memory of its previous shape - the back is still very pliable and pops in to something close to its original shape with very little effort. But reshaping it is possible.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doctor Strange said:
You've seen this one at Akubra's site too, right?

http://www.akubra.com.au/pdf/Akubra colour swatch card.pdf

We've been through this before. Nobody's ever seen all of Akubra's greys in a single photo with the same lighting. (Now there's a project for you high-volume-owning guys!) I think they go something like this, lightest to darkest:

Moonstone
Cruiser Grey
Glen Grey
Steel Grey (same as Carbon?)
Carbon Grey
Mid-Grey (same as Carbon or Steel?)
Charcoal (nearly black; only from David Morgan)

The top half are more blue-grey, the bottom ones are more black-grey.

Some dealers have the Stylemaster in Steel Grey, some in Mid-Grey... Yeah, it's confusing!

You know what I'd really like to see? The Stylemaster offered in Lagoon Blue. Now that'd be something!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
FurFeltFedora said:
A few weeks ago I received an Akubra Traveller and I thought I’d offer my thoughts on the hat...
3547378428_ed12b46e14_b.jpg

You are doing a great job of photohatography.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
You are doing a great job of photohatography.

I concur, ScottF.

'triple F', your are showing a nack for exhibiting a hat for what it is and nothing more or less. Straight on frontal and side shots really are the most valuable tools we have in assessing a hat that we most likely will never be able to see or handle before we buy it.

:cheers1:

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks ScottF, CHR. My main purpose when posting these pics is to show as much as possible what the hat looks like from the major angles. For me, I've never been able to see ANY of the hats I bought so I had to go 100% on pictures here and faith. I'm glad that if nothing else my pics show other people what these hats look like. And coming soon will be pics of my Tawny, Black, Carbon and Moonstone Federation IVs :)

barra063

Familiar Face
Hi all.

I Have been lurking around for a few weeks now and have just successfully registered. I have a reasonable collection of Akubras and am now waiting on my mid grey stylemaster to arrive. I will more than likely add a silver belly campdrafter to the collection very soon. To date I have .

1. Black stoney creek.
2. Sand Outback club.
3. Fawn cattleman.
4. Deep fawn squatter.
5. Sombrero
6. R.M.
7. At least 3 Slouch hats or KFF with a mix of old a new style pugaree's.

Thanks for all the Pics of people actually wearing their hats as it makes purchasing a new one online so much easier if you have a more visual reference of colour and how it looks on a head.

Back to surfing the threads.

Barra

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80