Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Don Vito

New in Town
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good a place as any. I just wanted to thank you all for the suggestion to try the federation IV (no, I never posted, just lurked, but still...) I read many posts and was really jazzed to try it, and the folks over there at hatsdirect where great. I got my fed IV really fast. I have wanted for twenty years or so to try a fedora but never had the nerve. I think they're great and love the old movies and shows with guys wearing them. After reading the posts here I decided to give it a go.

Sadly, I think it's going to have to go back. I tried it on and think it's too large for my long, thin face, but I did enjoy the moment of receiving it and cracking open the packaging.

Best,

Tony

send it back?

some times it takes time to get used to wearing a fedora again. post some pics and people will give you suggestions about changing the crease to improve the look on you.

but if all else fails, before you pay the $30 to send it back to AU, you might want to post it up here in the classifieds, I'm sure someone would take it off your hands.

what size, color did you get?

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Strutting the Camp Draft during this weeks hospital stay. Another pic is under "what hat are you wearing today?"...
HospitalJack2.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
Don Vito said:
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured this was as good a place as any. I just wanted to thank you all for the suggestion to try the federation IV (no, I never posted, just lurked, but still...) I read many posts and was really jazzed to try it, and the folks over there at hatsdirect where great. I got my fed IV really fast. I have wanted for twenty years or so to try a fedora but never had the nerve. I think they're great and love the old movies and shows with guys wearing them. After reading the posts here I decided to give it a go.

Sadly, I think it's going to have to go back. I tried it on and think it's too large for my long, thin face, but I did enjoy the moment of receiving it and cracking open the packaging.

Best,

Tony

I'd also if I were you consider... if you feel it's just the brim... trim it!! Get a strap cutter or if a normal pair of scissors, if you're feeling brave. Shave a bit off each time until you're comfortable.

I'd be interested to see how it doesn't suit you.

TTFN,

Bill

Don Vito

New in Town
I've taken pics with an open crown and a quickie bash, and tried to lighten them up enough to tell the hat from the shadow on the
wall.

3577510752_21be81bdff.jpg

3576706267_d66dcbf8d3_m.jpg

3577510858_0fa8c878ff_m.jpg

3576706349_0785378b75_m.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Don Vito, first off welcome! Next off, if you're worried about the brim curl it up at the sides, snap it up in back, down in the front. It can take quite a bit of apparent width off the brim. If you want to reduce the height of the crown, a 'C' crown with use up material and lower the height. My current avatar is a Moonstone Fed IV with lots of curl and it doesn't look like it has a large brim.

barra063

Familiar Face
RobFedoraField said:
cool that it make of kangaroo, but unfortunatly it looks too close to belts that we wear often in the states.

The twin ring is both a common belt here in Australia and also faily commonly used as a hat band, especially out bush.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Don Vito, give it a good crease like FFF suggested, and I think you're good as gold - I believe it suits you quite well, it just needs a bit of shaping. You can do it!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
barra063 said:
The twin ring is both a common belt here in Australia and also faily commonly used as a hat band, especially out bush.
Great info barra063...and welcome to the lounge!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Chinaski said:
Don Vito, give it a good crease like FFF suggested, and I think you're good as gold - I believe it suits you quite well, it just needs a bit of shaping. You can do it!
I agree with others, DV--the fedora itself fits you fine in terms of dimensions. A more pronounced taper, like in the Stylemaster, might look really strange. Ignore the photos of you in the unbashed hat--that looks silly on anyone. But try a few different bashes, following guidelines on this site, and see if you get used to it. Worst case, if you can't live with it, you might be better off selling or trading it on the Lounge's Classified pages than sending it all the way back to Australia. But wear it around a bit; you may find you become less self-conscious about it.
Steve

Goose.

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
I agree with others, DV--the fedora itself fits you fine in terms of dimensions. A more pronounced taper, like in the Stylemaster, might look really strange. Ignore the photos of you in the unbashed hat--that looks silly on anyone. But try a few different bashes, following guidelines on this site, and see if you get used to it. Worst case, if you can't live with it, you might be better off selling or trading it on the Lounge's Classified pages than sending it all the way back to Australia. But wear it around a bit; you may find you become less self-conscious about it.
Steve
Don Vito...
Don't send the hat back. At first, you will feel odd and get comments from people that have known you. People that you newly meet will just consider it "you". And by the time the hat was to get back across the ocean, you and your associates would've grown accustomed to it.

Plus, if you bashed/creased it, HD may have a concern about getting it back. But I dunno. What I do know is that I think you should hang on to it :)

And Jazz is correct, unbashed looks goofy on a good day...

503018225_Rv9zA-S-1.jpg

Cigarband...thanks for the pics! Love those red liners. Was wondering if other Akubras had it other than the Sydney/Fedora.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
Don Vito...
Don't send the hat back. At first, you will feel odd and get comments from people that have known you. People that you newly meet will just consider it "you". And by the time the hat was to get back across the ocean, you and your associates would've grown accustomed to it.

Perfectly put! When I DON'T wear a fedora, my friends don't recognize me.

Don Vito

New in Town
I definitely plan on keeping it. Besides, I love the Akubra logo in the inside. It looks old world and has that sense of quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic