Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

H.Johnson

One Too Many
And I!

Instances such as this of the bad relations between France and Britain after the fall of France (the British, of course, blamed the French for the capitulation) are played down.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Pilots

I think I read that the Irvin jackets were supplied to Russia, and they issued them to the French pilots. They look good any way you look at it! Oh, how I wish I could have won the lotto a few years back, when the Yak 3s were put back into production! With the Allison V12 engines they could leave a stock Merlin powered P-51 in the dust down low, and maneuver with a Spitfire at a quarter the cost! Then I would buy an ELC Irvin in a heart beat.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Irvin reproductions - Durability/Longevity features?

In the universe of reproduction Irvin jackets, which model(s) has fewest back panel seams or pieces of sheepskin? While I anticipate that fewer seams, fewer pieces of sheepskin render an Irvin jacket longer lived, is my assumption valid?

Perhaps I should be asking: Other than selecting a best-quality manufacturer, what features are desirable for reproduction Irvin jackets' durability/longevity?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are two main threads here on Irvins and you may find some of the answers in the Repro Irvin thread. Eastman's 1940 pattern Irvin is made of four body panels, two at the front and two at the back. Aero also makes similar early style Irvins as do some other makers.

The Irvin is a very robust jacket and those with many seams-notably the later war versions-can be bought as reproductions and will last a life time, just like the originals. Indeed if a panel gets damaged it can be replaced more cheaply than replacing a large panel on a 1940 version.

I wouldn't worry about the construction of the jacket letting you down. You need to decide which version you want.

Paddy will most likely move this thread to join the larger Repro Irvin thread.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What hat might one wear with an Irvin?

That is, for those of us who won't wear a helmet
or pilot's cap in public... I'm wondering if one might be
able to wear a fedora with this style of jacket.

Unless someone has a nice US size 50 original or
used quality repro, I believe I will succumb and buy a WPG.

greeny

Familiar Face
I'm a bit bummed to notice that after a week's wear, i've managed to damage one of the sleeve seams on my new ELC. I bumped into a fence and caught the sleeve. Didn't see any immediate damage, although a feared a tear. On closer inspection I see that one of the leather seams has a nick in it and one of the stitches is gone. Does this mean the rest of the stitching is likey to unravel or will it more than likely hold?

Naphtali

Practically Family
This an unwieldy thread. So I'm attempting to take the easy path. In this thread, or elsewhere, is there a link or a list of all good-to-excellent quality manufacturers of reproduction leather/sheepskin flight jackets?

Period correctness and authenticity are much less important than quality of materials and manufacture.

John Lever

One Too Many
Naphtali said:
This an unwieldy thread. So I'm attempting to take the easy path. In this thread, or elsewhere, is there a link or a list of all good-to-excellent quality manufacturers of reproduction leather/sheepskin flight jackets?

Period correctness and authenticity are much less important than quality of materials and manufacture.

The main players are -
Aero, Scotland
Eastman Leather Clothing, England
Real McCoys [The Few], New Zealand
Lost Worlds, USA[ but can no longer source the correct materials]

All these are authentic and use excellent materials and workmanship.

Naphtali

Practically Family
John Lever said:
The main players are -
Aero, Scotland
Eastman Leather Clothing, England
Real McCoys [The Few], New Zealand
Lost Worlds, USA[ but can no longer source the correct materials]

All these are authentic and use excellent materials and workmanship.
John:

Many thanks for your reply. Are there others, perhaps not quite to this best-quality level, that also manufacture good quality jackets?

It is my curse that you are not my size - or that I am not yours. I would have acquired precisely what I wanted during one of your periodic purges of your flight jacket collection. If only you were 41-42 regular, . . . If only.

Volpone

New in Town
Hello,

Nobody even talks about Aviation Leathercraft, which actually own the Irvin trademark ... Why ? Their jackets ( without pockets ) look fine and seem to have a good quality.

greeny

Familiar Face
From what I've read, they are well made jackets- just not as authentic looking as some others. The colour and the amount of fleece on the cuffs and hem srping to mind.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Volpone said:
Nobody even talks about Aviation Leathercraft, which actually own the Irvin trademark ... Why ? Their jackets ( without pockets ) look fine and seem to have a good quality.

If you go to "Classified", I have a post there selling two Irvins - one of them is from Aviation Leathercraft (ALC) You can compare the photo there with the photos of ELC and Aero in this thread.
The jacket is absolutely a great quality, a bit heavy - but the zipper, the fur and the outercolor is a bit wrong.
But you are right: Nothing wrong with the jacket.
(PS If you consider buying a ALC ask them to do it in the lighter fleece, they use for another jacket.
I did, it's much more comfortable and closer to the originals.)

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
And I!

Instances such as this of the bad relations between France and Britain after the fall of France (the British, of course, blamed the French for the capitulation) are played down.

Presumably the Allied destruction of the French Navy (or much of it) in 1940, post-fall of France, was also rather a sore point.... certainly from everything i have read De Gaulle was, post-war, considered himself considerably less indebted to the British than they seemed to feel entitled! Then again, it's hardly surprising to see ennmity between the two nations, France having been England's traditional enemy for centuries, and the dispute with Germany being really a very recent thing in historical terms.

feltfan said:
What hat might one wear with an Irvin?

That is, for those of us who won't wear a helmet
or pilot's cap in public... I'm wondering if one might be
able to wear a fedora with this style of jacket.

I tend towards a flatcap or newsboy, myself, when wearing my B3 (I don't yet have an Irvin, but for all practical purposes when it comes to hats there is nothing to separate the two). To my eye, a slightly narrower brimmed (around 2"; not quite stingy) fedora can look great with either a B3 or an Irvin, but if you want to wear the collar up, a brimmed hat really isn't very practical. This is where a cap really is preferable. I have to admit, I would love to wear a sheepskin-lined, leather helmet, but really with no practical purpose (driving or flying), it would be rather too outlandish for me. For wearing with my B3, I have my eye on one of ELC's fine-looking B2 Caps as a possible future purpose. They also did a run of these made out of the skins they use for their Irvins (I believe they are still in stock, going by the website) - not, obviously, ever an issue item, but they would match in nicely with an Irvin and be ideal for extremes of cold weather.

Volpone said:

Spitfire has it on the nose: while the ALC offerings are the only jackets licensed to carry the official Irvin mark, they are somewhat less accurate reproductions than the other makers mentioned above. Excellent quality jackets, of course, just not so hidtorically accurate, which is important to many folks looking to spend such a large sum on such a jacket. The panelling would not bother me so much at the right price, though I doubt I could live with the regular fleece they use - makes the cuffs rather overlarge, almost cartoonish - like a standard poodle, in a way. To be brutally honest, it was seeing the ads for these (long before I discovered the existence of the likes of Aero and ELC) that put me off Irvins for a very long time. Nothing against their quality, of course - purely personal aesthetics. Spitfire's jacket with the alternative fleece looked great - much closer to the originals.

Of the other UK makers, Cirrus - the last well known, it seems - are very similar to ALC. Aeros look generally great to me and I hear good things about their quality.... just the sleeves look a little on the slim side when compared to the old photos? I really fancy an ELC when I can afford it... I'll probably go with the later 8-panel model to save a few quid. Actually, I rather like the multiple-panel late war models too - and, as noted above, these are more easily repaired in the event of a tear.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Got to tell you this...

Driving to Haderslev today - it's in Jutland - I went into a cafeteria on the way for a cup of coffe.
I was wearing my Aero Irvin, when an old gentleman sitting at the next table approached me.
"Isn't that a RAF Irvin jacket?"
I said yes, and he went on praising the quality and the shape it was still in.
When I told him, that it was new - he went on telling me, that he had owned one as a young man. A real one!!!
He got it - when he was 15 - from a RAF bombercrew, who bailed out over Jutland in 1943!!!
His father was in the resistance, and he had helped the airman to escape.
He had hid it at the attic till after the war. Not wanting to "upset the Germans".
He had used it a lot after the war, both when driving the tractor and his motorcycle. But it was all gone now.
He also told me, that it looked exactly like mine.
Brought back memories to him.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
Driving to Haderslev today - it's in Jutland - I went into a cafeteria on the way for a cup of coffe.
I was wearing my Aero Irvin, when an old gentleman sitting at the next table approached me.
"Isn't that a RAF Irvin jacket?"
I said yes, and he went on praising the quality and the shape it was still in.
When I told him, that it was new - he went on telling me, that he had owned one as a young man. A real one!!!
He got it - when he was 15 - from a RAF bombercrew, who bailed out over Jutland in 1943!!!
His father was in the resistance, and he had helped the airman to escape.
He had hid it at the attic till after the war. Not wanting to "upset the Germans".
He had used it a lot after the war, both when driving the tractor and his motorcycle. But it was all gone now.
He also told me, that it looked exactly like mine.
Brought back memories to him.

That's wonderful Soren! I love these types of stories. I was in our local pub in Trondheim, Norway a couple of years back wearing my Irvin and whilst having a ciggie outside this chap came up and asked the same thing. I said yes and he went on to talk about his uncle who'd flown Spits (with 332 Sqn IIRC) and he remembered well his uncle's Irvin which had survived the war.

It's hugely pleasing that a piece of clothing can evoke such reactions and connections with the past.

Thanks for that!

John Lever

One Too Many
I have a 15 year old jacket for sale from Eastman when they used the original tannery. These early jacket are of superior quality to the new ones.
Please check the Classifieds section.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I think it would be great if all you guys with repro Irvins posted some pics. That way the newbies would have something to compare.
I sense a mounting interest in Irvins at FL, why not give them a hand?

We've also had some talks of the differences in color and texture - even from the same producer. (ELC) Maybe we could compare that too.

Besides - it's always nice to see what shape you Irvins are in.
So - guys - get into your spits and hurries and snap those photos.:)

Speedster

Practically Family
AVIATION LEATHERCRAFT IRVIN

Well, here is mine – Aviation Leathercraft IRVIN. Bought during a vacation in England in 1989 at their premises at Thruxton Airport.

I still have the first catalogue I received from them in back in 1979 so it took me 10 years of dreaming before actually getting it.

Back then I only knew of Aviation Leathercraft and Cirrus and found/thought that the Irvin from Aviation Leathercraft was the ultimate repro especially after also having visited Cirrus during that vacation in 1989.

Had there only been forums like this back then, there Is no doubt in my mind that I would have bought an ELC or Aero jacket instead as my goal was to get a very close repro – which I at the time thought I got with the Aviation Leathercraft…

I am happy with the jacket and it has served me well both riding motorcycles and driving open top cars all year round.

The jacket was extremely bulky/very thick fleece when new and to some extend still is.

121_2113.jpg

121_2114.jpg

I was very tempted by the ELC that John Lever (mentioned in above post) sold recently. But Christmas coming up and short of money (for jackets)…

But one day i will get an ELC for daily wear and hopefully another day an original for occasional wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda