Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All you Bostonians...need your help!

spiridon

A-List Customer
Okay guys, how 'bout helping a Southern boy out? I'll be up in y'alls neck-a-the-woods for the Marathon in two weeks.....how about some suggestions on THE places I must check out while I'm up there? I'm taking two teams, so I'll be hanging out with about 10 other people. We already have tickets for a Red Sox game on Sunday....the Marathon is Monday, so I guess I'll be looking for things to do from Mon night thru Wed night. I suppose the main things I'm interested in are (of course) Good Food!, a couple of night spots, perhaps a cigar bar, etc... I DO want to check out a good Irish Pub while in the area. Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

.....oh yeah, here's a couple of suggestions I've received so far....any comments?

http://www.luciaboston.com/

http://www.florentinecafeboston.com/

http://www.vittoriacaffe.com/

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Cafe´Vittoria is not to be missed. They have wonderful coffee and desserts. The place hasn't been remodeled in years so you'll fit right in. It is one of my favorite cafe´s anywhere.

In the basement is, the Stanza dei Sigari at 292 Hanover Street Boston. This is a red leather club chair sort of cigar bar with copious pours of cognac and brandy. They are only open at night.

You will be missing the opportunity of a lifetime if you do not have a drink in Boston's best bar: The Oak Bar in The Fairmont Copley Plaza in Copley Square. It was modeled after a 19th Century British Gentleman's Club and achieves this without overwhelming you with the decor. In fact, the room is quite warm. It is a gem. I celebrated my engagement here and had drinks with the eminent MK there as well when he was in town. -A wonderful place.

Go to the top of Prudential Tower for the views of Boston from The Top of the Hub. Dinner is quite good, and much better than it is often given credit for, but go for the drinks; they're cheaper. The views from the 52 floor are amazing.

If you're over by Fenway, go into Kenmore Square for dinner at Eastern Standard. Try the salmon; it is affordable and wonderful! It's one of the best meals in the city. The hotel is brand new, only completed about a year ago, but it's retro influenced interiors of it and the restaurant are appealing to we Lounge-types. ;)

The best Irish Pub is greater Boston is The Burren, bar none (absolutely authentic, Irish music, great beers, great bands, great crowds, and I know the owner and he is a great fellow ;) ) but it's in Davis Square, a bit far out for someone staying in Boston proper. In lieu of that, I would go for The Purple Shamrock, right at the edge of tourist Faneuil Hall.

While there, grab lunch at Durgin Park around the corner. Everything is great on the menu. The restaurant was founded in 1826 and the waitresses wear circa 1950s uniforms. It's a great spot.

For sights: wander The Christian Science Center. It's a great public space with a wading pool and tower looming over. Copley Square is beautiful and a walk down Newbury Street is always fun. (Plus, it's at the end of the finish line. ;) )

Don't miss the wonderful Public Garden, it will remind you of the parks of London.

I hope you enjoy our city.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I second everything Hem has stated, all excellent recommendations:)

Might I also add grabbing some of the famous Clam Chowder (that's pronounce Chow-dah) from Legal Seafoods. MMMMM, yum! If you have the appetite for it, get some oysters too, they are divine. They have many different locations, just go to their website www.legalseafoods.com

Enjoy your stay in our fare city! And all the best of luck with the marathon:eusa_clap (a little early cheering to psych up the team)

Oh, and if you get the chance to go across the river, Cambridge is lovely to explore. The home of Harvard and many good restaurants and bars, although it is more of a college area, it's nice to check it out and stroll the grounds.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Great info Daisy & Hemingway....many thanks! Keep 'em coming folks I've gotta try and keep 10 other people entertained, so the more ideas the better!:)

Kimberly

Practically Family
I 2nd the Oak Bar, they have great drinks there.

I have not been to the top of the Pru since I was a little kid but I remember the view and it was fantastic!

Legal's has great chowda and it will definitely be worth your while to try some.

For carbs to get you fueled up for the marathon you should get to the North End which is the Italian section of Boston. They have a ton of great restaurants there.

ricki

Familiar Face
Daisy Buchanan said:
Might I also add grabbing some of the famous Clam Chowder (that's pronounce Chow-dah) from Legal Seafoods. MMMMM, yum! If you have the appetite for it, get some oysters too, they are divine. They have many different locations, just go to their website www.legalseafoods.com.

For Chowder, I recommend the Union Oyster House. It's located right near Faneuil hall and claims to be the oldest restaurant in America. The clam chowder is delicious and they serve it with a great cornbread.

Dalexs

Practically Family
If you want some real Boston atmosphere, definately get over to Fanuel Hall and grab a bite at Durgin Park. They have THE BEST Chowder hands down.

I 3rd the Oak Club for drinks.
If you're in the North end, Regina's (The original) for pizza.
If La'Familia is still there, stop in for some carb loading. Pound o' pasta per dish.

If the weather is nice, just get out and walk around.
Boston is a small city and you can get around very quickly on foot.

Daisy Buchanan

ricki said:
For Chowder, I recommend the Union Oyster House. It's located right near Faneuil hall and claims to be the oldest restaurant in America. The clam chowder is delicious and they serve it with a great cornbread.

Union is good in terms of old world atmosphere, and it is the oldest restaurant in America. Might be a good place to stop in for a drink and maybe try some oysters directly at the oyster bar. However if you sit down at a table I wouldn't recommend ordering from the raw bar. The oysters are all pre-shucked hours before serving (if you order them in the dining room), they tend to be dried out and warm by the time they get to you. Just not the way such a delicacy should be served.
Durgin Park is great, everything from the atmosphere to the waitstaff, and the portions are gigantic. Yeah, the chowder's good, but nothing beats Legals for great Chowder and the freshest seafood in town. If it isn't fresh, it isn't Legal!:)

Flivver

Practically Family
If anyone in your group enjoys browsing around used book stores, Boston has one of the best in the country. It's called The Brattle Book Shop, and it's located on West Street, not far from Downtown Crossing. They have a comprehensive selection of books on just about any topic. And you may have seen the shop's owner, Ken Gloss, on the Antiques Roadshow on PBS.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
my all-time favorite bar is the B-Side Lounge in Cambridge. they have the best cocktails anywhere, hands down, a very low key atmosphere, and very, very good food.

another irish pub recommendation is the Druid in Inman Square in Cambridge.

if you're into vintage clothing, go check out Bobby From Boston on Thayer St off Harrison. he has a HUGE selection of men's clothing.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I know for a fact that Spiridon likes oysters. ;)

DSCN1843.sized.jpg

And LordaMercy were they good. Big, salty, they fried and char-grilled quite well.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
if you're into vintage clothing, go check out Bobby From Boston on Thayer St off Harrison. he has a HUGE selection of men's clothing.
Bobby's is a great store and I am embarrassed I didn't think of it. Great job, Kitty! :)

If a Lounger comes to Boston, they must go to Bobby's, though you may want to PM me first for directions; it's tricky.

ricki

Familiar Face
KittyT said:
my all-time favorite bar is the B-Side Lounge in Cambridge. they have the best cocktails anywhere, hands down, a very low key atmosphere, and very, very good food.
B-Side also has an excellent weekend brunch!

Daisy Buchanan

Hemingway Jones said:
Bobby's is a great store and I am embarrassed I didn't think of it. Great job, Kitty! :)

If a Lounger comes to Boston, they must go to Bobby's, though you may want to PM me first for directions; it's tricky.

Gosh, I'm quite embarrassed too! Bobby is an institution, but directions will be more than useful. Even if you don't buy anything from him, it's an experience just to go to his store and look at all the amazing things he has. Really incredible, and maybe Bobby himself will be there. Ask for him, he's a great guy and a character too. Tell him you know Cheryl, I don't know if it'll make anything cheaper, but he'll be glad to meet another Fedora Lounger. His store just got voted as one of the top 100 stores in the world. Not just in the vintage category, but in the all stores character, and Bobby is so humble about his many accolades.

The theater is another great idea. The Opera House is incredible, even if you don't see a show there, drop by and take a peek, it's one of the most beautiful places in the city.

spiridon

A-List Customer
Cool Beans guys! Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be sure to print this thread out and take it with me on the trip........I'm looking forward to checking these places out. I've already told some of my team members some of your ideas......the anticipation is building!
Thank you so much!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner