Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Almost) a New Convert

Doh!

One Too Many
So this morning, I'm leaving my office on a coffee run while wearing my gray porkpie and one of my co-workers says to me with not an ounce of sarcasm, "Nice hat -- you look sharp." I thanked him and he added, "Man, I wish those would come back. It's a great look."

I told him it was actually a new hat, and he could wear one, too. If fact, I added, maybe HE could start a new trend. He just said, "Nah." and went on his merry way.

Almost, folks.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Give them time. I find people will often dismiss at the first instance, even if it is something they quite like, but do not have the confidence to do or wear. Over time, they will get used to the idea and probably will follow suit eventually. They will most likely ask to try it on at some point, talk about hat sizes etc. then you'll know conversion is starting!
Remember - Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Feraud

Bartender
An interesting story.
As an aside, I never find myself needing to convert anyone to my lifestyle and hobbies.
I must admit to finding amusement in those who consider their hobby special enough to want to make the world in their image.

hargist

One of the Regulars
I have found myself wishing that hats were more popular (besides the ubiquitous baseball variety), but then again if everyone wore them there would be nothing special about me wearing one.

Before I started wearing hats on a daily basis, I was like that guy admiring them, but not having enough confidence to wear one because it is against the norm. But then it struck me that everyone I know likes fedoras and have said that they wish that men wore hats like they used to. So if everyone likes hats, why don't they wear them? I decided that wasn't my problem and started wearing hats every day.

Sure, I get the stares, but I don't mind (especially from the ladies). Fact is when you look sharp nobody can say anything, and if they do, that speaks more to their own insecurities.

I'll bet your friend comes around at some point.

MattJH

One Too Many
One thing I have noticed, though, is that people around you who've wanted to wear nice hats but never got up the nerve may now feel self-conscious about being considered/accused of being a "copy cat," so to speak. It's child-like but seems a carnal human instinct to be considered original.

Then again, the opposite can happen as detailed here in regards to my fellow employees.

Doh!

One Too Many
Feraud said:
An interesting story.
As an aside, I never find myself needing to convert anyone to my lifestyle and hobbies.
I must admit to finding amusement in those who consider their hobby special enough to want to make the world in their image.

Not my intent at all. For one thing, I don't consider the wearing of hats to be a "hobby" or a "lifestyle." I don't even dress vintage (unless the need arises for me to wear a suit, in which case I'm reaching for the double breasted). I'd like to see hats come back to they way they were back in the day: as popular as ballcaps are today.

Bankers, farmers, millionaires, janitors all sported the fedora. Or porkpie, depending on mood I guess.

I'm only speculating, but in my coworker's eyes, retro/vintage isn't yet the fad he feels comfortable participating in. He won't wear a hat unless they "come back"... but they won't come back unless more people start wearing them again. You just can't win!

Feraud

Bartender
Doh!, I do not mean to imply at all that you are engaging in any Vintage proselytizing.:)
Doh! said:
I'm only speculating, but in my coworker's eyes, retro/vintage isn't yet the fad he feels comfortable participating in. He won't wear a hat unless they "come back"... but they won't come back unless more people start wearing them again. You just can't win!
Much like people conformed in the old days, the same people do it today.
Today's conformist uniform is the ballcap, baggy pants, and generally sluggish form of dress we see.

Doh!

One Too Many
Feraud said:
Much like people conformed in the old days, the same people do it today.
Today's conformist uniform is the ballcap, baggy pants, and generally sluggish form of dress we see.

If only the part of the brain that prevents people from dressing classier was as strong as the part that sees nothing wrong with putting on the baggy pants/ballcap combo. Sometimes I hate evolution.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I feel compelled to revive this old thread, but with a new topic in mind.

Just recently, maybe a little over a week ago, two of my cousins about my age, one a year younger and one a few months older, had come over in my area for someone's birthday party. Well, I chose to wore my brown Akubra Federation IV that day (I wore it more for function than style, admittedly, as I was outside most of the time), in the backyard eating and lounging around, and while inviting them on a hike in the nearby hills with me.

To cut to the point, it turns out that they're somewhat interested, maybe one more than the other but they both think it looks cool on me, and were interested in knowing the website I had bought it from, which was HatsDirect of course. I filled them in on this info; now, these two cousins typically wear heavy metal or rock inspired attire, lots of black-dark clothing such as band logo t-shirts and jeans (which are more often blue or faded grey than black), and they both have long hair (one has something resembling a mullet, almost, and the other has his hair to the upper end of his back), but they apparently have somewhat of an appreciation for the style.

I talked to them later on a chat program called "Xfire," which we frequently use to communicate with, and one said he was leaning towards maybe (with an emphasis on maybe, as he might not be willing to shell out 140 bucks on a hat yet) a black Akubra Casual, and the other, while he didn't really single it out to any one particular model, he liked the black Federation IV, and some others like the Bogart and Stylemaster, even the Homburg which he seemed especially interested in.

The bottom line is, I may have, just might have, got them interested enough to start wearing fedora hats, and ones that are not necessarily stingy either, not that there's anything wrong with it, especially a nice fur felt one or a good straw, but that's usually the style most younger men typically go for these days in a fedora or trilby. I have actually asked them both a couple of days ago if they actually bought one yet, they didn't, probably because of financial reasons, but it was nice to see that they took interest in one of my favorite hobbies, and a large part of my wardrobe and lifestyle, to boot.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J B said:
The bottom line is, I may have, just might have, got them interested enough to start wearing fedora hats,.
Most people are waiting for permission to adopt a new fashion. They're afraid of being laughed at until they see enough of it around them to be assured that won't happen. That's why it takes nerve to wear a fedora out there now. If there ever were a critical mass doing it, the balance would tip and the style would be ubiquitous.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Doh! said:
He won't wear a hat unless they "come back"... but they won't come back unless more people start wearing them again. You just can't win!

And to add to the 'you just cant win' section, a good quality, comfortable baseball cap is approximately $20 - $25 these days. A good quality, comfortable, brimmed hat is, at minimum, as far as I am concerned, at least $100. And, as you know, better hats are more $$. Its hard for people to justify spending even that much on a hat that is perceived to be out of style, delicate, difficult to care for, compared to a baseball cap, anyway. A fedora comeback has a lot working against it.

icemanxxxv

Familiar Face
I'm 47 I didn't even wear ballcaps that much after high school. In fact the only hat I wore regularly was my tiger stripe boonie hat for hunting and fishing excursions.

I've always like hats of the more stylish type. One day I bit the bullet and bid on a Dobb's fedora on the bay. 50 bucks and it was mine. I placed it on my head with confidence and never looked back.

I work the flightline for a major airline and while I'm at work I wear a varity of flat caps and newsboy caps. I have 7 defferent caps, two Fedoras, one outback breezer style hat and a newly aquired Pork Pie. Oh yeah and two Boonie hats.

Needless to say I wear hats now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot