Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Airpower Museum photos

Feraud

Bartender
I thought I would show some pictures of past visits to the American Airpower Museum on Long Island. The following link to the museum website shows a video of what the museum is about. The site has pictures and descriptions of the fighters, bombers, and information about experiencing a ride on a C-47!

scan0075.jpg

scan0071.jpg

scan0072.jpg

scan0079.jpg

scan0070.jpg

scan0069.jpg

Picture051.jpg

scan0063.jpg

scan0061.jpg

scan0056.jpg

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nice photos, Feraud! That looks like a nice museum.

No matter how many times I see those birds, like the P-40 or the B-17, it still gives me a thrill. I never get tired of seeing photos of them!

Feraud

Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Nice photos, Feraud! That looks like a nice museum.

No matter how many times I see those birds, like the P-40 or the B-17, it still gives me a thrill. I never get tired of seeing photos of them!
It is a nice place to visit. The planes are great to see in person and thrilling to hear in flight! There is nothing like the sound of vintage planes roaring overhead. It takes you back to in time.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Feraud said:
It is a nice place to visit. The planes are great to see in person and thrilling to hear in flight! There is nothing like the sound of vintage planes roaring overhead. It takes you back to in time.
Too true! Every now and then one of the planes from the Palm Springs Air Museum makes it up this far. I'll be out doing yard work or something and hear those big ole radial engines growling and I have to drop whatever I'm doing to catch a glimpse of whatever it is. There's a guy who flies a Texan around this area, too. Yucca Valley must be a waypoint, though, because I never see it on the ramp, just flying in or out.

An interesting aside: the majority of the collection at the Palm Springs Air Museum is owned by one man, Bob Pond. He also has a classic car collection numbering around 200 automobiles, including a Tucker Torpedo. He regularly rotates the cars on display around the museum, but the Willys and a few others are standards. The best part of the museum is that with a couple exceptions, every plane in the collection is in flying condition, and they fly them regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner