Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amish straw hat supplier in France?

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
Hi folks

I've got a friend in France, who really wants to get hold of an Amish-style straw hat for the summer. He's found loads on US websites, but the shipping is too much.

Does anyone know of a French distributer/seller for these?

cheers

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Amish, if there are any in France, would be centralized if they are like those in the States.
Check for draft horses. Find one, you'll find the other.
Or look in tourist literature.
Anyway, if you can find any Amish, you'll find out where they get their clothes.
For example ... in the U.S., many buy their hats, shoes, broadfall pants, coats, etc., from a place galled Gohn Brothers, in Middlebury, Indiana. They order through the mail out of a catalog that is printed with no photographs ... just descriptions of the items.
I'd do a Web search for French Amish.
Hope that helps,

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I would guess shipping from the U.S. to France would be something like shipping from Australia to here ... not cheap.

Having owned the Amish fur-felt and straw hats, however -- they are certainly worth the price.
They will last forever, even with hard use.

Sam

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I would guess shipping from the U.S. to France would be something like shipping from Australia to here ... not cheap.
I've received many parcels from my shirtmaker in Paris and shipping was not terribly high. Over the years I've sent shirts back to them and I don't recall being shocked by the charges. That's not to say that US sellers aren't charging more than the going rate as you do see a fair amount of that in the marketplace these days.

I've no shipping experience to/from OZ but from what I've heard it is much more expensive than anywhere in the EU.

One thing also to look at is that the Amish are noted for their style of dress but I think their are some other denominations that dress similarly. A search for the others may turn up a French community with a source for these style hats?

Tiller

Practically Family
I would assume that there are some Amish remaining somewhere in the EU. Surely it would be cheaper for him shipping wise to search a bit closer to home. Maybe I'm wrong though lol.

We have Amish and Mennonites here, but strangely enough they tend to wear straw hats all year around.

Update: A quick Google search shows that my hunch was wrong, if this site can be believed anyways. Here.

There are no Amish left in Europe; The Amish were saved from extinction by William Penn who granted a haven from religious persecution in America. Since early colonial days the Amish have lived in the United States preserving their distinctive culture, dress, language and religion in peace and prosperity.

So it would seem that if your friend wants something made by the Amish, he will have to get it from the old USA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran