Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An eBay Seller

jayem

A-List Customer
I've been a buyer for years, but never a real seller. I have hundreds of vintage clothing items that, well, I'll never use. They're sitting in my closet, in garment bags, aging even move. I don't want to hide these treasures, but want to give them to somebody who will really bring them back to life. So, I want to become a seller. I've sold textbooks and concert tickets on eBay before, but never something like this. After reading horror stories of both buyers AND sellers, I want to avoid all those horrors at all costs. Most of you here are sellers, with stores of your own, many of which focus on vintage. What do YOU do that makes people flock? I'm not looking for a tutorial, I can find those anywhere, I'm just looking for some honest opinions.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Presentation sells! Use a person to model your clothing, don't lay it flat on a table. List sizes by all means, most eBayer's won't bother asking you in an e-mail for a size if it isn't listed they just move on. Good luck selling your goods!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Don't use eBay's image hosting service. The photos are too small, and you aren't able to post any real useful detail shots. Use Photobucket or something similar, post the HTML in the description (just a cut and paste operation - very easy to do) and you'll have nice large detailed photos on your auctions that are just what a buyer likes to see. If you plan to have a gallery shot (another plus), you will have to upload one photo to eBay, but upload just that one. Put the other shots (including a copy of the one you uploaded to eBay) on Photobucket (or whichever one you choose). This way, you also avoid the fees for extra pictures, as eBay doesn't charge you for images that are posted using HTML code.

Retro Rob

Familiar Face
Jayem, like Kilroy said, photos are everything. I sold an MG (british sports car) for an unheard of price of $17,000 because I had great pictures. I have had nothing but good transactions on ebay. I just just sold 5 items for over $600. all overseas. A lot of sellers don't want the hassle of non US buyers, but it really is worth it, they pay the shipping and any duty, all you have to do is fill out the form. Check feedback, one recent buyer was brand new, I asked for references. The other thing I do is make them pay right away with paypal. This scares away most the scammers. As for buying I've bought cars, cameras, vintage, militaria all with no problem, do your research, ask questions. MOST people are very honest, but like everything else there are a few cheats around. Good Luck

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Use a selling service like Auctiva. It allows you to post extra photos at no charge and also allows you to use fun templates that really add to your presentation.

Be sure to list not just sizes but measurements, especially since vintage sizing is different.

Warbaby

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Use a selling service like Auctiva. It allows you to post extra photos at no charge and also allows you to use fun templates that really add to your presentation.

Be sure to list not just sizes but measurements, especially since vintage sizing is different.

Auctiva puts on a good show, but it seriously slows down the page loads. I usually don't have the patience to wait for slow page loads, particularly if I'm trying to go through dozens of items.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Go to this board and start reading. Learn keywords, etiquette, etc.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/forum.jspa?forumID=92

Go to Seller central as well:

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/forum.jspa?forumID=143

Search completed auctions for similar items as yours to see how they do, average ending price, etc. Sell Spring and Summer now; wait for Winter until September / October or so. Ship internationally since the dollar is in the toilet. I did months of reading the boards and learning, and when I started selling I did well and avoided many pitfalls.

Good luck!

ShortClara

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
:eek:fftopic: Short Clara, your new hairdo is FABULOUS!

Aw golly garsh!! You are so sweet :):) *blush* I totally totally love it! It makes me feel so vintage without even trying.

Josephine

One Too Many
Measurements! Even with sized items, still post measurements. I'm watching a vest that I REALLY want to get but there are no measurements and the seller hasn't answered my email about the size. I might just risk it though... :(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
A couple more things that will help your items bring in higher prices:

* set your auctions to end during the week. On weekend's, many people don't have access to a computer

* set your auctions to end during the evening, but not too late at night. People who aren't using sniping programs don't want to sit up til 3am to bid at the last minute on an item.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BegintheBeguine said:
jayem, have you considered posting your no-longer-wanted items from your collection in the Classifieds here on the Lounge first? Although I haven't tried to sell anything there yet I've bought some things using PayPal that way and it worked out very nicely.

Yes, that way you can be sure that they're going to go to a loving home :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'm in the process of setting up a little eBay based vintage clothing business (sometime in the next year, I'm not rushing), I've shortlisted a supplier and am full of enthusiasm

so, any more little tips and tricks from the FL would be greatly appreciated

any sites that are better than eBay?

Number one for a seller: Know what you're talking about. So many don't have a clue but think they do, and follow all the old rumours and old wives tales about how to date a garment.

Number two: honesty and accuracy. If it's flawed, say so, in the minutest detail possible. "I don't have time to go over the garments with a fine tooth comb" (common eBay vintage seller whine) is not acceptable. And give the accurate measurements. At least then with these two covered the buyer has no recourse to remorse.

I think that if all eBay sellers followed these two ideas there would be far fewer dissatisfied buyers. Unfortunately, many eBay sellers have no idea what they're selling but think they do. They are liars and charlatans who are trying to offload some crud to an unknowing buyer. Evasive emails, pictures that conceal flaws, inaccurate descriptions and the perennial favourites "no returns" and "sold as is".

I would advise a search for the completed listings of Crosby Square and Havershaw. Both members and both impeccable sellers of vintage.

Good luck.

bk

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Baron Kurtz said:
Number one for a seller: Know what you're talking about. So many don't have a clue but think they do, and follow all the old rumours and old wives tales about how to date a garment.

Number two: honesty and accuracy. If it's flawed, say so, in the minutest detail possible. "I don't have time to go over the garments with a fine tooth comb" (common eBay vintage seller whine) is not acceptable. And give the accurate measurements. At least then with these two covered the buyer has no recourse to remorse.

I think that if all eBay sellers followed these two ideas there would be far fewer dissatisfied buyers. Unfortunately, many eBay sellers have no idea what they're selling but think they do. They are liars and charlatans who are trying to offload some crud to an unknowing buyer. Evasive emails, pictures that conceal flaws, inaccurate descriptions and the perennial favourites "no returns" and "sold as is".

I would advise a search for the completed listings of Crosby Square and Havershaw. Both members and both impeccable sellers of vintage.

Good luck.

bk

Also, cityvintage, who is a member but not active, has great success by consistantly postiing high quality menswear with good presentation and photos.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron Kurtz said:
Yes, i forgot about cityvintage. An excellent seller.

bk
And a swell human being...

I would also add, don't use the reserve! Use a reasonable amount as a starting point, and Buy It Now for your dream price, instead. That way you get your real needed price or better, and it is not so frustrating for the buyers. I won't even bid on anything with a reserve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo