Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another first for me

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Sorry for two new threads in two days, but this one's even more unique.

I work as a designer at a certain home improvement box store. Comments about my hat are always positive, but this takes the cake.

Me: Welcome to "--- ---- -----"! How can I help you today?

Customer: Well, I have a question for you. I have a hat just like that I bought many years ago and never wore. Would you be interested in taking it off my hands if I bring it to you here at the store?

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Hat in hand ... It's an older lightweight Resistol. Will have to post more info and pics later when I can examine more in depth.

Pretty cool, though, to have a stranger just deliver a nice hat to you for no apparent reason! Talk about your random acts of kindness!

Thwack

Familiar Face
HamletJSD said:
Hat in hand ... It's an older lightweight Resistol. Will have to post more info and pics later when I can examine more in depth.

Pretty cool, though, to have a stranger just deliver a nice hat to you for no apparent reason! Talk about your random acts of kindness!

That is really nice. Now you've just got to pay it forward

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
It is cool, man. Not sure of the age, but it's a 3x beaver, kitten finish, chocolate brown, "self confirming" Resistol. Thin ribbon and 2.5" bound brim which is exactly my style

It's a 7 1/8, however. I don't think I'd attempt stretching it (all the way to between a 7 3/8 and 1/2) myself, but this one may be one worth sending to Optimo, or Art if he still takes the time to do renovations, to get it cleaned and upped a couple of sizes.

Any thoughts?

Pics when I'm more awake...

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
scotrace said:
This isn't like an ex-wife's anonymous friend handing you a hat that has been dipped in an anthrax bath, right?

Perhaps it is like the story of the woman who sells the corvette for cheap, then explains that her husband ran off with a woman and wrote and asked her to sell it and send him the money.

Perhaps she was just mad at her husband and gave his hat away.

citRon

A-List Customer
HamletJSD said:
It is cool, man. Not sure of the age, but it's a 3x beaver, kitten finish, chocolate brown, "self confirming" Resistol. Thin ribbon and 2.5" bound brim which is exactly my style

It's a 7 1/8, however. I don't think I'd attempt stretching it (all the way to between a 7 3/8 and 1/2) myself, but this one may be one worth sending to Optimo, or Art if he still takes the time to do renovations, to get it cleaned and upped a couple of sizes.

Any thoughts?

Pics when I'm more awake...

...did I mention that I'm a 7 1/8? ;)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
3253546796_b1f6620da8.jpg

3252719289_7d58f6a7e9.jpg

3252718429_27c461e379.jpg

3252717431_b10cfe3cc5.jpg

3253542886_3b7ca23865.jpg

This hat just feels fantastic ... I know it's going to cost me $100-120 plus for a complete renovation and am fully aware that I can get a nice Akubra for less $$ ... but this may the first one I send off!

funneman

Practically Family
Great hat and even greater story.

Judging by the price, the size of the sweatband and the absence of
plastic in the liner I'd say that's a pretty old hat too.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
For 100% Beaver Resistol as the end product that was free to start with & $100 or so to renovate, you'd be way out in front cost-wise for that grade of an end product....

Is that 100% Beaver? I don't know much of anything about Resistol, but I've never seen 3x=100%. It's a pretty nice hat, but I don't think it's worth another $100. In that small size, a pure beaver hat will come along on ebay.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
a 3x resistol doesn't have any beaver in it, but is a very nice hat. Resistol's 1950s kitten finish hats have a great feeling felt. Why do you say that hat needs a renovation? Looks like 5 minutes of shaping it with a little bit of steam and it'd be good as new.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Dinerman said:
a 3x resistol doesn't have any beaver in it, but is a very nice hat. Resistol's 1950s kitten finish hats have a great feeling felt. Why do you say that hat needs a renovation? Looks like 5 minutes of shaping it with a little bit of steam and it'd be good as new.

To pass along to you, sure, but it's 2.5 sizes too small for me.

Dinerman said:
Imprinted just below the Kitten Finish is 100% Beaver in photo above. That is what I was going off. I didn't see anything in photos about 3X...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy