Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fans of the Orson Welles Radio Almanac out there?

Khaki Whacky Fella

New in Town
Just curious.

I'm especially fond of the installments which aired from military bases, as I had family that served in WWII and it's entertaining to hear the kind of 'military humor' that was used to entertain the troops - it really brings it to life. Also the D-Day special is particularly good.

Are any of you members of the 'swoon club,' perhaps? :)

I'd love to know.

Cheers!

Khaki Whacky Fella

New in Town
archive.org has many otr shows available. You could search through their holdings.

That's where I found them, though I understand because of copyright issues/forum etiquette I am not allowed to link to them. I have yet to find a 'legit' version (but I am looking, and will update if I do.) I am sure you could find them by googling them, too (I just tested it, actually. If you put in 'Orson Welles Radio Almanac download' it should take you to the archive pages)

Additionally, there also used to be a great tumblr for vintage radio show recordings in general, called 'Don't Touch That Dial' but it has since become password protected and if they made the password public knowledge at some point, I seem to have missed it. :(

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
There are some otr podcasts in iTunes with Welles broadcasts. I don't recollect the names off-hand, but a search should bring up the titles. I've downloaded one with a selection of Welles' Almanac, some Lux Radio Theater broadcasts, and some guest appearances.

At one time I had a recording on my mp3 player of Orson reading the news and delivering a commentary on what he had just read. I would like to think it was spontaneous. He was noted for his ability to deliver the goods on a "cold read," so on the spot editorializing should have been a piece of cake.

Khaki Whacky Fella

New in Town
There are some otr podcasts in iTunes with Welles broadcasts. I don't recollect the names off-hand, but a search should bring up the titles. I've downloaded one with a selection of Welles' Almanac, some Lux Radio Theater broadcasts, and some guest appearances.

At one time I had a recording on my mp3 player of Orson reading the news and delivering a commentary on what he had just read. I would like to think it was spontaneous. He was noted for his ability to deliver the goods on a "cold read," so on the spot editorializing should have been a piece of cake.

Splendid of you to recommend this - I'll have to look at the iTunes selection. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner