Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any fans of WEP jackets

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I'm thinking of ordering a WEP jacket from Gibson & Barnes. I'll probably go with the "mountain cloth" since I don't care much for the shiny satin material. This will be a cool weather or "spring jacket", so I'm wondering if it is worth getting the Thinsulate lining.

Any thoughts on these jackets? Peacoat, I imagine you know a thing or two about these.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I have a patched original from 1968. I have never worn it much because it is a very short jacket. Originals came in long, regular and short sizes and I probably should have bought a 46 long as opposed to a 46 regular.

Older originals typically appear in fairly poor condition. They were actually designed to be underwear...not outerwear jackets...and time has generally not been kind to them.

I agree with your decision to buy the G&B, but I would probably stick to the nylon. The G&B appears to be the closest to the originals of any repro I've seen.

AF

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I have a patched original from 1968. I have never worn it much because it is a very short jacket. Originals came in long, regular and short sizes and I probably should have bought a 46 long as opposed to a 46 regular.

Older originals typically appear in fairly poor condition. They were actually designed to be underwear...not outerwear jackets...and time has generally not been kind to them.

I agree with your decision to buy the G&B, but I would probably stick to the nylon. The G&B appears to be the closest to the originals of any repro I've seen.

AF

Agree with the nylon advice. G&B told me this is a much more popular material than the cloth version.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Personally I love them, though I concur with AF that they wear short. It's a great, light jacket, like the old MA-1s, with a bit more panache I think.

The big patch pockets are kind of cool and roomy and the short knit collar looks good (and is warm) though some makers make it big enough to fold down while others don't. The light cloth and quilting make it incredibly comfortable and it wears like a pajama top...great for a ready room nap.

Back in the day, the old salts wore the WEP, with Skyhawk patches, old squadrons, and centurion rockers. It always had that groovy "Right Stuff" vibe to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CBI

One Too Many
i love them but as stated, pretty short wasted, even the "long" sizes so be careful. One of my faves of non-leather flight jackets

CBI

One Too Many
I ordered a G&B WEP and after waiting 5 months it arrived and I promptly returned it. Oversized modern cut, looked ridiculous. Get an original if you can but beware, so short waisted almost impractical to wear (unless you are wearing a flight suit under it).

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I ordered a G&B WEP and after waiting 5 months it arrived and I promptly returned it. Oversized modern cut, looked ridiculous. Get an original if you can but beware, so short waisted almost impractical to wear (unless you are wearing a flight suit under it).

G&B products can come up BIG, they are a rare occasion when I need need to size down.

bn1966

My original which is lovely if a little SHORT

photo (9).JPG
IMG_0949.jpg

CBI

One Too Many
yes, except I really went back and forth with them on measurements BEFORE I ordered. Really no clue on their end, it was obvious. Oh well..........

bn1966

yes, except I really went back and forth with them on measurements BEFORE I ordered. Really no clue on their end, it was obvious. Oh well..........

My G&B disaster was one of their MA-1 jackets (light-weight version) XL Regular fit which came out BIG & BAGGY..very long too. Don't think I'd buy another G&B product again, quality was good it's just their sizing & the USA is an expensive return from the UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran