Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any way to soften a stiff wool greatcoat?

nos402

New in Town
I just acquired a WWII RAF WO Greatcoat (also a really cool Belgian Greatcoat). It's awesome but of course VERY heavy, stiff and scratchy.

Is there any way to "break it in"? I've read some posts around the net about soaking wool in hair conditioner but I definitely don't want to try it without getting some first hand advice first!

Thanks!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have owned a number of such greatcoats over the last 50-odd years and based on my own experience, I would say that wearing it regularly will soften it nicely.

Cheers!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
nos402 said:
I just acquired a WWII RAF WO Greatcoat (also a really cool Belgian Greatcoat). It's awesome but of course VERY heavy, stiff and scratchy.

Is there any way to "break it in"? I've read some posts around the net about soaking wool in hair conditioner but I definitely don't want to try it without getting some first hand advice first!

Thanks!

Sleep in it, spray water on it, jump up and down on it.... Hang on, wrong garment.

Have it cleaned first. Heavy wool coats can hold the dirt a bit. Then, as HJ says, wear and see it comply....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21