Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody willing to pay the price for this Stratoliner??

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I was asking myself if I'd go for that hat if it was my size. For someone really wanting the Stratoliner kit with box and pin (although not the original pin) it might be worth doing.

For the same money though, one could buy most vintage hats that come around (I'd rather have a 100 or a 7XCB than a Strat, I think), just about any felt hat from Optimo (except the 1000) or a couple of hats from Art Fawcett - especially with the current discount.

I think I'd go the VS route. Ask Art to make one hat in Silvermist or Dove that would be a Stratoliner clone and something different for the second.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen some nice Borsalinos hit the 500. range, but I think the Strat hes selling at that price is a little
excessive? Unless of course there is someone out there who wants it bad enough.
But that's just my opinion .
I like the above reasoning of just having a custom hat or two made for the money instead.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I was asking myself if I'd go for that hat if it was my size. For someone really wanting the Stratoliner kit with box and pin (although not the original pin) it might be worth doing.

For the same money though, one could buy most vintage hats that come around (I'd rather have a 100 or a 7XCB than a Strat, I think), just about any felt hat from Optimo (except the 1000) or a couple of hats from Art Fawcett - especially with the current discount.

I think I'd go the VS route. Ask Art to make one hat in Silvermist or Dove that would be a Stratoliner clone and something different for the second.

DJ is right ... Unless you are starting a hat museum, stick with a modern custom .. Art or Optimo or, for those in this part of the world, Wichita Hat Works.
Have them make your personal version of that hat for you to wear.

I have several 1940s ORs and Strats ... I like them a lot, don't get me wrong. I started wearing ORs reshaped as fedoras in the '70s and I have enjoyed them. But I also enjoy my Campdrafts and the glen gray CD makes an awfully nice hat.

For $750 you could get a gray CD AND a nice custom

Just my opinion, of course. I'm Scotch. What can I say?

I'd take the $750 and put it ALL in Akubras and ... wait a minute. I already did that ...

Sam

Edward

Bartender
It probably is about the price of five top end Akubras. Not something I can see myself buying, although I imagine it has a certain rarity value which accounts for part of it. Perhaps (as I have often seen happen) seller doesn't really want to part with it, but has put it up with a figure that (s)he doesn't think it can reach, the idea being to get a feel for its current market value? (With the added bonus that if someone does want it really that bad, it's quite the little earner)?

Sam Craig

One Too Many
The problem, of course, unless you can afford to put an incredibly valuable hat collectible at risk is that, once you bought this hat, you couldn't wear it without destroying its "unworn" status.

Therefore ... MUSEUM.

Back in the late '70s we had a well-to-do Civil War reenactor participate in a local event. He was part of a unit that would have been equipped ... during the actual Civil War ... with Colt revolving rifles ... not the little replica carbines ... the full length, wooden stocked rifle.

So he spent $20,000 ... in 1970s dollars ... and bought one. Then he carried it in the field. He caught a lot of flak for it and was not allowed to carry it at National Park events due to is museum value.
He reasoned ... it was HIS $20,000. He could spend it on a mint Colt revolving rifle and then carry and shoot the gun if he wanted to.

It's sort of like that.

Sam

The problem, of course, unless you can afford to put an incredibly valuable hat collectible at risk is that, once you bought this hat, you couldn't wear it without destroying its "unworn" status.

"Unworn" is well put between quotations. Whether a mid-1950s Royal Stetson is your cup of tea at this price is a personal decision. I think it unlikely that a buyer at this price would be able to resell it without taking a sizable loss, though it is returnable if expectations are not met within seven days.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm always fascinated by the store marks of vintage clothes. A couple years ago I was auditioning for the role of Mayor Schinn, in the Music Man (didn't get the part . . .), and right at that time I purchased on Ebay a very nice Stetson Homburg. The label inside said it was sold by Shinn's, in Ashland Ohio, and it had a 1940 ticket stubb hidden under the ribbon. Tres cool. I though it was pretty uncanny, but not uncanny enough to get me the part.
Anyhow, A J Bundschu was, according to its biographer, "the dominant store in Independence". It was right on Jackson Square, opposite the court house. It would have been just around the corner where Harry Truman's ill fated haberdashery (or "the shirt store" as he always called it) was located. Probably helped put Harry out of business.

I very much doubt that the Bundschu label adds any cache to this rather egregiously overpriced chapaeu.

buler

I'll Lock Up
In the hey day of Strats, one in this size may have gone for $400-$500. The top of the box is shot. Can't really determine the condition of the rest of the box. Since its not pictured, I'll assume the original hat stay and paper instruction sheet is missing. Original plane pin is missing. The price is not even in the ballpark.

B

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
You do all point out very valid issues regarding the price or cost of the Strat. However, I do see some prices kicked around Optimo hats and another Custom hatter that gets up over a grand for one hat. I think ownership of a hat,and it's value can always be determined by many factors, some times price is not one of them. The current seller of that Strat is very much into hats, and into historical/military collectables, and perhaps more then what I know.

One can look at the factor that for the most part, a Vintage Felt is perhaps better than what even a custom hatter will be using, ( I know the felt of the Dunlap hat I just "gave away" ) would not be duplicated by any Custom hatter, so I just think the price may be steep compared to the average hat deals, it is not an "out in orbit" price at all.

To answer the OP's question ... No, this person wouldn't pay anything approaching that price for that hat. But, as LoveMyHats2 observes, people have paid more for less.

I happen to have what I think is a more-desirable Strat in nearly dead-stock condition that just doesn't look quite right on me so it doesn't get worn at all. It's medium brown, size 7 1/8, has a windstring and an unusual bow treatment. I have no intention of selling it, as it carries a bit of sentimental value, but $750 would dry my misty eyes. I'd even throw in a genuine Strat box with a genuine Strat instruction sheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo