Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone interested in noir fiction?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am a writer and planning on writing a series of short mystery stories that utlize the same detective character and putting them all together to compilation to make one book. I have already written two. I am just interested if anyone would actually be interested in reading this, or if anyone would like to read my work to get some critiques?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like noir a lot but I admit to preferring "real noir": gritty, vintage-feeling, violent, realistic, over lighter spoofier-feeling detective stories that just kinda play with that first-person perspective.

But I read both.

-Viola

Barry

Practically Family
ENfield3-8303 said:
Sign me up, the more noir/pulp type detective fiction I have to read the happier I am.

I enjoy reading pulp/noir graphic novels. A couple of days ago I came across Adventure House. They have a lot of images that would for fun avatars.

Barry

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I'm down. 'Tis precisely what I write ... though I don't quite yet hold complete allegiance to one detective fellow. Sorry, Jack Scorpion.

I did NaNoWriMo, too, the year before last. Successfully, but it is all in notepads.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll read it too. If you want to let me. I find Spillane too sadistic. I like Nathaniel West but the depression level is rather high.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
I'll read it, if people will read mine as well. I wrote it last semester for a creative writing class. It's not a detective story, and isn't really straight-up noir. But it is fatalistic and set mostly in the Depression.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
Not my favorite thing to read, but if you're looking for a crit partner, I'll help you with that. I won't share my stuff, because I've found I mention "romance" and most people roll their eyes.

:rolleyes:

Just kidding, I'm sure it's good stuff Elaina.

I'll read anything, and if it's noir, even better.

I'm even known to offer constructive criticism on occasion.

imported_the_librarian

One of the Regulars
Noir has always been facinating. Red Harvest by Hammett was a great read.

I just wish my stuff sounded as good:

"...He awoke with a start, fell from the lounge chair, newspaper spiraling to the teak deck below. Rain and waves crashed across his feet as the ship flung herself down into the trough of the oncoming wave. Mac staggered to his feet, momentarily losing his balance and then ran for the rail of the ship. He heard Portia's cries for help but knew he was too late...."

Ever read any of Lamour's attempts at noir?

Josh B.

New in Town
If you're planning on writing such a story, might I suggest the American film Murder By Death? While it lampoons the entire detective genre, I think it gives humorous insight into the less savoury aspects of each of the great Golden Age (American) detectives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24