Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know much about Brill Bros.?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Wasn’t Brill Bros the early ‘70s cowhide/Dynel collar jacket that tended towards the squeaky side?

I had one that was a bit small on me. Decently made though as I recall.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wasn’t Brill Bros the early ‘70s cowhide/Dynel collar jacket that tended towards the squeaky side?

I had one that was a bit small on me. Decently made though as I recall.
You are thinking of Imperial Leather, at least that is the company that was known for the cowhide plasticky squeaky G-1 from the mid 70s.

El Marro

I've seen this nice looking G1 on eBay for a pretty decent price, but I'm not at all familiar with Brill Bros. Can't find anything much about them online.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325014406761?hash=item4bac5e4669:g:XNQAAOSwMjdh7wtN

Any insight anyone has, will be greatly appreciated.
Brill Brothers was a prolific maker of G-1 jackets in the early 1970s, along with Star Sportswear and a few others.
The jacket you linked was made in 1972 (the first one from 1972 I have seen with a white label, I had thought they were all black labels up until 1973 but apparently not). This was really a few years past the era of “good” G-1 jackets (better goatskin and real mouton collars) and therefore I would suggest that you dig a little deeper and try to find something from the late 1960s or earlier.
If you just want something to wear around though, I’m sure this jacket will be up to the task. My first G-1 was a 1972 Star Sportswear, very similar to this one from Brill, and it is a well made piece of gear.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
Brill Brothers was a prolific maker of G-1 jackets in the early 1970s, along with Star Sportswear and a few others.
The jacket you linked was made in 1972 (the first one from 1972 I have seen with a white label, I had thought they were all black labels up until 1973 but apparently not). This was really a few years past the era of “good” G-1 jackets (better goatskin and real mouton collars) and therefore I would suggest that you dig a little deeper and try to find something from the late 1960s or earlier.
If you just want something to wear around though, I’m sure this jacket will be up to the task. My first G-1 was a 1972 Star Sportswear, very similar to this one from Brill, and it is a well made piece of gear.

Thanks for the info. I am tempted by this one. The issue with me, is I rarely come across vintage size small G1/A2 jackets on ebay. I may take the plunge as it looks in good condition too.

Peacoat

Bartender
Mouton collars were discontinued in 1969. So later G-1s have Dynal collars. Beginning with the E-series jackets, G-1 shells could be made from embossed cowhide. So the ones to get are the D series from 1969 and prior.

Brill made a trim G-1, so if you have a smaller build, the Brill may be the ticket for now. Keep looking for your size in 1969 and earlier. It will be in goat, which is many times more desirable than the embossed cow.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
Mouton collars were discontinued in 1969. So later G-1s have Dynal collars. Beginning with the E-series jackets, G-1 shells could be made from embossed cowhide. So the ones to get are the D series from 1969 and prior.

Brill made a trim G-1, so if you have a smaller build, the Brill may be the ticket for now. Keep looking for your size in 1969 and earlier. It will be in goat, which is many times more desirable than the embossed cow.

I do have a smaller build, so will take that into account. Just curious as the ebay posting claims this jacket is in goatskin. I'm not well versed on telling the difference from images, but are you thinking this isn't actually goatskin?

Peacoat

Bartender
Beginning with the E-series jackets, G-1 shells could be made from embossed cowhide. Evidently, not every contractor immediately made the switch and some makers seem to have used goat and cow interchangeably. So, that jacket may well have been made of goat. The pictures look like goat as well. They don't look like embossed cowhide. The collar is definitely Dynal, though.

El Marro

Thanks for the info. I am tempted by this one. The issue with me, is I rarely come across vintage size small G1/A2 jackets on ebay. I may take the plunge as it looks in good condition too.
For the price I think it is a good deal and I’m sure you will be happy with it. I also think it is goatskin.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
Yeah, the price is tempting. I do own a Schott G1 which I love, but this one does look a little more authentic which is drawing me in.

thor

One Too Many
The Brill Bros. G-1 that I have in my collection is early 1980’s-vintage; it’s very thick and heavy (probably cowhide) with wider-cut sleeves. The materials and overall construction seem very robust.
I haven’t researched the Brill Bros. company but as others have stated, they did have several G-1 contracts over the years.
The eBay listing seems like a pretty good deal, but I agree with those that have said to look for earlier-model G-1s with the real mouton fur collar.

Rawky

One of the Regulars
The Brill Bros. G-1 that I have in my collection is early 1980’s-vintage; it’s very thick and heavy (probably cowhide) with wider-cut sleeves. The materials and overall construction seem very robust.
I haven’t researched the Brill Bros. company but as others have stated, they did have several G-1 contracts over the years.
The eBay listing seems like a pretty good deal, but I agree with those that have said to look for earlier-model G-1s with the real mouton fur collar.

Is it blasphemous if I'm not too concerned about the mouton fur collar? :eek:

El Marro

Is it blasphemous if I'm not too concerned about the mouton fur collar? :eek:
Not at all, in fact this will probably save you some money! The dynal collar will never acquire the lovely honey or rust collared hues of real mouton, but it will keep your neck warm in the cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB