Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are your kids bigger than you?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm shorter than my mom. She's 5'2" and I'm 5'1". My father is 6ft even. My husband is 5'9", his father is 5'10, his mother is 5'8". My older son, age 11, is generally the shortest kid in his class, my younger son, 8yr, is typically right in the middle.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I am the smallest in my family at 5'1". My dad is 5'3" my mom 5'6" and sister 5'3". My son is 8, he is up to my eye brows and is the tallest male 3rd grader at his school and is the biggest kid on his football team (3rd and 4th grade combined). He wears bigger shoes than me now.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Land-O-LakesGal said:
I am the smallest in my family at 5'1". My dad is 5'3" my mom 5'6" and sister 5'3". My son is 8, he is up to my eye brows and is the tallest male 3rd grader at his school and is the biggest kid on his football team (3rd and 4th grade combined). He wears bigger shoes than me now.

OMG your son is huge! my son isn't even up to my chin yet!

Optionseeker

New in Town
My son (16) just crept past me in height at about 5'11 and I suspect he'll keep on going for a while. His best friend is hovering (literally) around 6'5 right now and his parents are both average.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I was taller than both my parents by an inch or two (I'm 5'7"), but my son is still a slight bit shorter than I am. My excessive height may be due to a growth problem I had as a kid and had to get growth hormone shots. I shot up about 8 inches one year after taking the shots.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Optionseeker said:
My son (16) just crept past me in height at about 5'11 and I suspect he'll keep on going for a while. His best friend is hovering (literally) around 6'5 right now and his parents are both average.

Your son's best friend should stop hovering and resume standing and walking. He's apt to bump into door frames and ceiling fans.

(I couldn't resist. :) )

Dave E

One of the Regulars
That would be tricky, she's only 3... :)

However, I'm about the same height as my Dad, both of my younger brothers are taller than us.

tuppence

Practically Family
I'm 6 inches shorter than my mother. My daughter is the same height. I became a vegetarian at age 9 and my daughter never ate much meat because of my lifestyle.
I wonder if it does have something to do with meat?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
tuppence said:
I'm 6 inches shorter than my mother. My daughter is the same height. I became a vegetarian at age 9 and my daughter never ate much meat because of my lifestyle.
I wonder if it does have something to do with meat?

Perhaps my son has always been a meat eater down to the womb when I as a vegetarian at the time started really craving meat when I was about 5 months pregnant. I lately have been trying to get more organic and free range meat for my family. I have actually been considering buying 1/4 of a cow that was grass fed. I know we could go vegetarian and I would be ok with it but not sure I could convince others.
By the way I just bought my son who is 8 adult size shoe (mens 7)

de-stressed

New in Town
I hope my children will be taller than I! At only 5'4, the majority of the time I am looking up to people. My oldest is a preteen right now but she has always been the smallest in her grade (same goes for her little sister). We do our best to buy organic meat when we can and in addition we have nutritional shakes and bars everyday (it is what I sell part time). We stay away from the fast foods which is difficult to do sometimes. She has grown an inch in six months and hope she continues!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I have one taller and one shorter.
My 17 year old daughter is about 5'3
36 year old me is 5'5
The 11 year old daughter is nearly 5'7

Both of them are skinny pain in the rears, and the 11 year old has longer feet than myself. Well, if youre gonna be taller than you need to have bigger feet lol.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
My kids aren't old enough to be taller than me yet but my youngest brother is huge. He is 10 1/2 years younger than me. 6'3" around 300 lbs. our mother is 5'1" and his father is 5'6". I have no idea how he got so giant.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was talking to my dad about this the other day...he's in his 70s, and he's about 2 inches taller than me, but a lot thinner. He was telling me that the men in our family, like his dad and uncles, were all well over 6 ft tall, and they were born right around the beginning of the 20th century. As it's turning out, I'm shorter than my dad, and shorter than my kids, so I'm the short, rotund one in the bunch.

My wife is 5ft 8inches tall, but her baby brother is 6ft7inches, and 375+lbs...their mom is a little runt, and their father is under 6ft. I suppose there is not a linear progression in size,from generation to generation, but normal variations.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Height may be tied to vitamin/mineral surplus or deficiency, but I doubt it's related to meat's presence or absence in the diet--I've been on a mostly-meat diet since before I was a teenager, and I still turned out sawed-off.:eek: lol
The use off corn feed lots started in the 70's with cattle before that cattle lived on grass and were only fattened up with corn a month or two before slaughter. Now they live on corn in feed lots and they have to be given antibiotics because the corn diet makes them sick because they do not easily digest it. So depending on your age you may not have grown up on corn fed beef like kids are now. See the movie CornKings someday it does a great job of looking into the history of this issue. After seeing this movie and my husband who is a big meat eater also agreed that we should eat less meat and try to find organic, free range and grassfed animals.

thsiao1

New in Town
Well, I'm taller than my mother and father..... mother 5'3" father 5'5".... however, my father seems to grow larger than life when he gets angry.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
thsiao1 said:
Well, I'm taller than my mother and father..... mother 5'3" father 5'5".... however, my father seems to grow larger than life when he gets angry.
I think it is a super power bestowed upon all father at the birth of their first child;)

1980--early in the Corn+Hormones generation, I'm afraid. Not to mention having a cook in the house whose concept of "side dishes" was limited to corn and green beans... *rolling eyes* (At least until Grandpa pointed out that two of the staples for WWII carrier-based pilots were carrots and butter, then those got onto my plate in generous portions, which means all that beta carotene might help explain my maladapted see-by-night/blind-by-day eyes to a degree.)

:eek:fftopic: I'm not even a parent, and I actually have a measured 2" of height-gain when hacked off--largely from various spinal and posture adjustments. Now if I could just figure out how to induce that effect at will without having to be seeing-red brink-of-homicidal PO'ed, and actually have some mobility while it's in place... lol

----------------
Now playing: Jerry Goldsmith - The Hotel
via FoxyTunes

thsiao1

New in Town
Land-O-LakesGal said:
I think it is a super power bestowed upon all father at the birth of their first child;)

I'm the second/youngest. My sister never had it quite as bad.... But I think you're right since I was an infuriating child.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran