Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Army, navy or airforce?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just been reading through many of the old posts, and it seems like the flyboys are the majority here on this grat forum. Now why is that?
(Not that I mind)
Whats you favourit armed forces and why?
Allthough I had a short interest in the airborne some time ago - started by Band of Brothers, I must admit I am now back with the flyboys.
Have been reading a lot about 8 airforce in UK on the way - but now I am back where it all started in my childhood. The RAF. The Spitfires and the Hurricanes.
There is a certain "swaggering air and something undefined special" over pilots.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
United States Army Air Force

Don't know why exactly, other than a deep, indwelling affinity for that branch and the period of their existence. The uniforms, the airplanes, the mission and the persona of glamour that surrounded them. I may have existed back then as one of them - no one in my family was USAAF - as I have such a deep rooted feeling of "being there". Maybe it was just a kid's impression of "Twelve O'Clock High" on TV - maybe it was the American Heritage book "Air War Against Hitler's Germany" my dad bought me. Maybe it's just a bond of sympathy that connects me with brave young men who took a new technology to war and fought and died a mile above the earth to save the world from Fascism.

Keep 'em Flying!
-Dixon Cannon

jake431

Practically Family
Army Air Force

That's always been where my passion for ww2 history lived and died. Starting from learning from my Grandfather about what he did during the war, and just being fascinated with planes in general, it has spread to all aspects of WW2 history.

Interestingly enough, when I thought about if I was in the service, I figured I'd go Marines and be a pilot (as long as I'm dreaming, why not?) - my Dad was always sailing and my Grandfather was a pilot so I thought the Marines would be a good compromise. Rather be a Marine flyer than a Navy pilot. Not sure why that is.

As old as I am now, I know if I ever enlisted I'd shoot for Air Force Intelligence - too old for flight training.

-Jake

Baggers

Practically Family
You did know that right about the time Sci-Fi announced they were cancelling the show, the Air Force announced that they were considering closing down Cheyenne Mountain because it was a "relic of the Cold War," didn't you?

A coincidence? I think not. :eek:

As for my service preference, I've always been split between the Army and the Air Force.

Cheers!

Twitch

I always loved aircraft. My Dad was a fighter pilot though I was a Marine grunt[huh]
dad.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Dixon Cannon said:
Don't know why exactly, other than a deep, indwelling affinity for that branch and the period of their existence. The uniforms, the airplanes, the mission and the persona of glamour that surrounded them. I may have existed back then as one of them - no one in my family was USAAF - as I have such a deep rooted feeling of "being there". Maybe it was just a kid's impression of "Twelve O'Clock High" on TV - maybe it was the American Heritage book "Air War Against Hitler's Germany" my dad bought me. Maybe it's just a bond of sympathy that connects me with brave young men who took a new technology to war and fought and died a mile above the earth to save the world from Fascism.

Keep 'em Flying!
-Dixon Cannon

Yes Mr. Dixon Cannon about sums it all up here quite eloquently. Except he forgot to mention the beloved A2 jacket, iconic trademark of The Army Airforce! :rolleyes: :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
It'd be impossible for me to say which is my favorite. As a former Marine artilleryman and infantryman, I have a strong bond with any and all groundpounders. As a former Special Ops paraweatherman, I have a strong affinity for any and all airborne. And as a current Air National Guard historian I have a deep affection for all things aerospace. Maybe that's why I like the combat glider pilots so much! They flew with the Army Air Force, landed with the Airborne, and fought with the grunts. I even like the Navy, having spent four years in the Navy Reserve while I worked on my undergrad degree.

carebear

Marine Corps

Specifically Infantry

More specifically Reconnaisance

More more specifically Recon Gold Winger

My Dad was in the Air Force during Vietnam. Taught downed aircrew survival in Reno and then Fairbanks, Alaska. I still have yet to figure out how those two places prepared one for triple-canopy jungle. :D

Cobden

Practically Family
The Senior Service; I have to admire the history the Royal Navy has, the way it created an Empire, and how a small damp little island had the world's largest Navy until 1956 and the second largest Navy today.

mikepara

Practically Family
I'm a well..

documented Airborne veteran.

But if I was 18 again I'd join the Royal Navy. After a spell with 148 Commando* I was always impressed by Jacks attitude and how they operated. After a few drafts I'd probably aim to towards joining the Subsunk Parachute Assistance Group or RN Commando, but would probably end up a bombhead .

*Not to teach egg sucking but: Army/Navy Commando Forward Observation Battery calling up Naval Gunfire Support. Not all commandos are Marine.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
USAAF
My Grandfather worked for Ford and built B-24s at WillowRun.

At an old junk store in Detroit I bought an old metal cabinet with lots of drawers on the side was marked Lockeed Breaks. In this cabinet I found an old metal badge that said Ford on it and had a B24 engraved in it. Not my Grandads but still pretty cool.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
I am in the Air Force, but have always had a fascination with ground forces in Europe. I think one of the first war movies I saw on WWII was Patton and have always enjoyed reading on the general and Army ground pounders of that era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner