Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

hatband

One of the Regulars
A while ago our fellow Lounger hatband posted a shot of a hat he had found on the forum. Turned out it was a 1930's Stetson Feather Weight that Alan owned from this post.

We both thought it would be a great style to have as a custom and hatband's was delivered a couple of weeks back. My version arrived yesterday.

This is the lightweight felt in Silverbelly and I asked Art if he could put vents at the top of the crown, as we some on some vintage hats. Rather than use his usual logo in the crown, Art stamped the logo onto the felt - he also shipped the hat with his usual red liner to use in cooler weather.

I'm very happy with the hat - the felt is the lightest of the ArtLite hats I have, I hardly notice I'm wearing it.

Thanks for creating this for me, Art!

D31_8290-L.jpg

D31_8292-L.jpg

D31_8293-L.jpg

D31_8294-L.jpg

D31_8297-L.jpg

Wow, great hat DJH kind of looks familiar, it looks good in the Silverbelly. Have fun wearing it. Havn't seen that VS stamp before, looks cool.
May have started a trend:D

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
y7ymy4yg.jpg
jerehe9u.jpg
3u5y9ebu.jpg

Just got this today! It's a birthday present from my brother.

It's black cherry with a steel grey ribbon and a triple stitched brim.

It's a really great and unique combination! Thanks Zack and Art for this amazing hat!

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1331&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1368566629

I must admit to finding the black cherry colour very confusing. Here are two examples of Art's work, both Black Cherry but they look almost like different colours to me. Is it just the lighting or can the colour vary that much...

I must say I like them both!

Ted

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Ted. these are the same color but in two different felt contents, taking on slightly different hues. The darkest of the two is pure beaver featherweight felt or Century, the second is the Joey line. Also, the ribbon on the Joey hat is a grey that brings out a lighter quality.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Some really nice one's Guys !
David thanks for the great pics of your Awesomely inspired Hat

Beautiful Black Cherrys & the brim stitching WOW !!!!!!
All Winners !

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Ted. these are the same color but in two different felt contents, taking on slightly different hues. The darkest of the two is pure beaver featherweight felt or Century, the second is the Joey line. Also, the ribbon on the Joey hat is a grey that brings out a lighter quality.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Love your work by the way.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That is a very sweet lid David. Great job Art on the edge treatment.

Thanks, Ed.
David that hat is sweet in every aspect! It looks very light, almost paper thin in the profile shot of the brim. Congratulations!

Cheers, Roger! This is probably the lightest of any of my felt hats, including vintage ones. I asked Art that if he had a number of these bodies to please use the lightest one for this hat.

Thanks, kao!

Thanks for the detail shots David. Looks great.

Thanks, Richard. Art is such a versatile hatmaker, I don't think there is anything he can't make.

Wow, great hat DJH kind of looks familiar, it looks good in the Silverbelly. Have fun wearing it. Havn't seen that VS stamp before, looks cool.
May have started a trend:D

Yep - this is all your fault :)

I wanted the vents in this hat and asked Art if he could put them up in the top of the crown rather than in the sides. He said he was looking to use the VS stamp rather than the usual liner tip. I'm thinking that the ventilation in the crown along with the light felt will make this a good hat for warm weather - an alternative to straws.

Gorgeous new lid, David. Art sure did a heck of a nice job on this reproduction.

Thanks, Jared. I think Art's lightweight felts are the best modern felts out there.

So what's the specs on those lids?

MM3k, mine has 2.5 inch brim and about 5.75 crown. Right in my sweet spot!

David thanks for the great pics of your Awesomely inspired Hat

Thanks, Che. I'm a huge fan of these lightweight felts, I know you are too!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
David, your new Silverbelly lightweight is incredibly beautiful. I like the decorative brim stitching so much that I'm likely to commission a VS with it myself, eventually. The stamped VS logo is a cool way of branding unlined hats. Perfect for the vent holes on top of the crown! Another feature worthy of emulating.

While I was busy moving, Art was busy making some hats for me. My new VS Chocolate is on its way across the pond. Below is another addition that arrived several weeks ago. Dove is still my all-time favorite felt color, closely followed by Silverbelly and Blue Smoke.

VS Dove lightweight w/ 19 L black ribbon, frayed, and raw edge plus a red liner

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Nik! Most of the Doves here look positively stunning, but much, much lighter than the swatch I have, which appears very grey to my eye in person.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, Nik! Most of the Doves here look positively stunning, but much, much lighter than the swatch I have, which appears very grey to my eye in person.

Thank you, Jeff. I think the lighter colors tend to be rendered a bit lighter than they really are. The image posted above is definitely not color accurate.

Alex

Practically Family
Looking back on this thread a ways, I came across this. Rabbit did an excellent job putting these collages together. I feel like it should almost be a separate thread or sticky.
As a belated Christmas present, sort of, to the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame dwellers, here are collages of VS hats owned by other Loungers posted here before, and now sorted by felt color. As this thread is getting longer and longer, searches for images of specific felt colors are becoming more difficult which gave me the idea of selecting some of those images for a better overview. I hope you enjoy the collages.

I recommend to download the full resolution images for more color accuracy, and to use an image viewing program.

Complete VS felt color comparison Part I

VS Black:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_black_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Black Cherry (the dressweight version):

Collage_Loungers-VSs_blackcherry_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Blue Smoke:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_bluesmoke_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Camel:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_camel_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Charcoal:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_charcoal_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Chocolate:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_chocolate_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Dark Moss:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_dark%20moss_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Dove:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_dove_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Forest:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_forest_post.jpg

Full resolution image

VS Granite:

Collage_Loungers-VSs_granite_post.jpg

Full resolution image

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Agreed-- those are fantastic collages, and very well put together. I wish I knew how to do that.

It's unbelievable how a ribbon can completely change my perception of felt color. Art is a master at this.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Alex, thank you for quoting these collages. The other two sets can be accessed by clicking the arrow next to my username in the above quote.
It's the nature of a forum to become increasingly difficult to manage with the growing number of pages per thread, which is why I posted the collages in the first place.

Agreed-- those are fantastic collages, and very well put together. I wish I knew how to do that.

It's unbelievable how a ribbon can completely change my perception of felt color. Art is a master at this.

Jeff, I used the singularly uninspiring old desktop version of Google's Picasa to make the collages. It's only a matter of patience and time to manually arrange the images so that there is no unintended overlap and no white areas in between images. There must be better freeware solutions out there to generate collages.

hatband

One of the Regulars
Hi I have to agree I found these collages very helpful in helping me get some idea of what I was wanting in felt colour before I had ordered my first VS. So I had no felt samples to look at. Thanks Rabbit.

gambit

New in Town
Agree with everybody. Rabbit's collages helped a lot when coming up with ideas for hats because as helpful as the felt samples were, it's sometimes different seeing it wider on a full size hat, if that makes any sense. And as Bowlerman said, the ribbon can change the look of it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum