Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've known Art for more than a decade, but this is my first full custom hat from him(took me long enough, right?).

I've had a number of gray hats over the years, but the proportions have never been right and they've suffered damage and abuse that made them unpresentable. Since gray is a universal color, one shouldn't be without a gray hat, and I got tired of casting about the web for a vintage one that fit the bill. It's a job for Art! I bought an outstanding green fedora a few years back that has been a go-to due to how well it was proportioned to me. I figured if anyone could duplicate it in another color, it would be Art.

I got the conformer and swatches in the mail, picked out 'Blue Smoke', and mailed back the conformer and my green hat with a note on my specifications. The result is in, and I couldn't be happier.

01.jpg

How it arrived: Open crown - I'd told Art that the cruciform bash on the green hat was my preference, so he left that bit to me.

02.jpg

My bash, just after steam setting.

03.jpg

Look, ma! Twins!

04.jpg

Before steam setting the bash and snap; I like a tight pinch in the front and a very hard snap I like to call the 'SF Snap'; I and my friends local to the SF bay area bring the front of the brim LOW in front of the eyes.

05.jpg

There's that snap - gotta cover up one eye, it's the male equivalent of Veronica Lake's hair.

06.jpg

I am smiling. I'm also squinting.

07.jpg

Art's unmistakable bow; I got a dark gray ribbon instead of a black, just to set it apart from the usual gray hats.

08.jpg

The box was a surprise, I've had Art renovate a few hats, but they never arrived like this!

10.jpg

Looks good on the inside, too!

09.jpg

It's MINE.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, Wingnut. Beautiful job all around, bash included. I have a very similarly finished blue smoke from Art, and it's a go-to hat that always receives great comments. I wore it today!
May you wear your new lid in good health for a very long time!!

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Wingnut, that is an outstanding fedora you've got yourself there! The proportions are just right for you, and you've done a great job with the crease. Great collaboration between client and hatter. Nice work, Wingnut and Art!

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
Picked up my "Last Man" hat today at the post office. WOW beautiful work, fits like a glove. I'll see if I can get some photos up, sans me modeling. (still waiting on my hair to come back in from chemo, little self-conscious right now).

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Can someone tell me (beyond what is listed on Art's website) the difference between Joey and Century... and then in the Century line, the difference between standard and suede?

Can someone tell me (beyond what is listed on Art's website) the difference between Joey and Century... and then in the Century line, the difference between standard and suede?

Century is pure beaver. Gives Art a better start to an incredible finish. Suede is a different finish technique, a little more nap than standard. Art can do wonders even with bunny fur.

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Century is pure beaver. Gives Art a better start to an incredible finish. Suede is a different finish technique, a little more nap than standard. Art can do wonders even with bunny fur.

So if I wanted the "smoothest" hand, I would get a standard, not a suede... Yes, I know that one is 100% beaver, the other is not... I mean as far as wearing them goes... what's the difference between the Joey and the Century, both in standard finish? How much of a difference is there in the feel/comfort/hand/finish of them?

Wearing them you won't know the difference because they'll both fit like they were made for the shape of your head because they are.
Feel, hand & finish of the beaver will be better but the rabbit will be very nice. Only better way for you to understand is to hold both in your hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner