Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hello, This is my first post since I started reading this forum a little while ago. I don’t have a specific questions, more so looking for any knowledge or insight I may be missing. I have a biker style leather jacket made by a Swedish company called Deadwood. It is nothing special as far as quality and construction, but it fits well, I like the style (kind of like a Lightning 391) and the fact that it’s made of recycled leather. But part of me really wants a high quality jacket that will last a lifetime (and perhaps could even be passed down). I’ve been looking at a number of jackets and have been vacillating between the detail and customization of Field Leathers, the iconic and historic nature of Lewis Leathers, and the style and fit of Japanese brands like Fine Creek. Being tall and slim, I’d likely need some customization for the right fit. Can anyone offer some direction? Thanks!
Welcome!
Lewis Leathers will also do custom measurements if you order from the London store. They will even make a jacket without the gold logo if you ask. I would have a look at their heavy sheep. The dark green is phenomenal looking. There are so many great options these days- Thedi will also do custom.

jeo

One Too Many
For some reason I thought I remembered Thedi or Simmons Bilt doing something similar. Glance at their website proved me wrong though.

Maybe you were thinking about this from Thedi?? It's kinda similar but not really the same design as the Leathertogs B or Buco J-31

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 10.30.04 PM.png

Joshua Holland

Familiar Face
Welcome to the lounge.

If you need customization, Field Leathers might be your best option. Other great options that offer customization are Aero and Johnson Leathers.

Good luck on your leather jacket journey!

I read on the LL site that when you order, they ask for some measurements and I believe some customization available...? But I don’t know to what extent.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Maybe you were thinking about this from Thedi?? It's kinda similar but not really the same design as the Leathertogs B or Buco J-31

View attachment 303889
Must have been what caught my eye. When I started this hobby a couple years back for some reason I remember a mid priced (£700-£1300) maker making something exactly like the LW/FW style of Leathertogs B. Kinda sucks because I really want one. Wish Aero or Greg at FL would take a single extra custom order ;)

Joshua Holland

Familiar Face
Welcome!
Lewis Leathers will also do custom measurements if you order from the London store. They will even make a jacket without the gold logo if you ask. I would have a look at their heavy sheep. The dark green is phenomenal looking. There are so many great options these days- Thedi will also do custom.

Thanks, good to know. Yeah lots of leather options too. I’ve seen some nice horsehide...the heavy sheep holds up well too?

jeo

One Too Many
Must have been what caught my eye. When I started this hobby a couple years back for some reason I remember a mid priced (£700-£1300) maker making something exactly like the LW/FW style of Leathertogs B. Kinda sucks because I really want one. Wish Aero or Greg at FL would take a single extra custom order ;)

If that's the case just save up and buy what you want. You can also try scouring yahoo auctions japan through buyee.jp and see if you can find a reasonably priced used one from either RMC or FW.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
If that's the case just save up and buy what you want. You can also try scouring yahoo auctions japan through buyee.jp and see if you can find a reasonably priced used one from either RMC or FW.

Yeah Thats probably what I’ll do. I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask if there’s any other makers that do the style. Since it’s pretty rare I didn’t have high expectations

Reactions: jeo

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

I believe Greg is still sourcing a button hole machine but he should have one soon. Shoot him a message at instagram, hope he is not too busy with orders because wait time is around 5 months at this time for new orders

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
I believe Greg is still sourcing a button hole machine but he should have one soon. Shoot him a message at instagram, hope he is not too busy with orders because wait time is around 5 months at this time for new orders
I’ve got a Michigan in the works with him :) I live really close to him as well so once lockdown is over I can meet him in person and chat about a Leathertogs ;)

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’ve got a Michigan in the works with him :) I live really close to him as well so once lockdown is over I can meet him in person and chat about a Leathertogs ;)

Sweeet! that's super cool, you can get fitted by him and talk about details in person! Can't wait to see what you'll do with your Michigan, I'll have my modified Idaho hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Sweeet! that's super cool, you can get fitted by him and talk about details in person! Can't wait to see what you'll do with your Michigan, I'll have my modified Idaho hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks.
I’m not changing anything from the standard design, but I chose an interesting plaid lining! Yeah planning on doing a fitting with him as my arms are weird lengths in comparison to my body, and I’m about 10 pounds heavier than I was when I bought most of my jackets (thanks lockdown) So will do a fitting once I get my weight back down.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I’m not changing anything from the standard design, but I chose an interesting plaid lining! Yeah planning on doing a fitting with him as my arms are weird lengths in comparison to my body, and I’m about 10 pounds heavier than I was when I bought most of my jackets (thanks lockdown) So will do a fitting once I get my weight back down.

Got it, hope you get yours soon so we can admire another FL masterpiece. Not much to do when we're at lockdown but pizza is always welcome lol
That will be one to watch out for, it's something that we haven't seen him do before too. Shed those pounds well good man, let's get that project rolling!

BotanPhotography

Familiar Face
Do Shearling jackets lose arm length with wear? I just purchased a Aero D-1 Redskin that I've wanted for ages, but the sleeve is about 1 inch too long for it to be bearable, and 2 inches from my actual wrist. My other jackets in Vicenza and CXL have lost about .5-1" with wear. Does this happen with shearling too?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking of buying this real McCoy's j100 from a private seller. Condition looks great but I wonder whether it has been altered. It looks like the body has been shortened (see stitching on the bottom hem towards the zipper).

Any owners who could confirm this is / isn't factory original?
0B10F01C-82BC-49A0-B822-0FC56575495D.jpeg
A8F51B45-4D18-4D4C-8E4E-12AB6A8859B8.jpeg
13A51833-AAE7-4265-954F-47972C964A97.jpeg
05CFE9B7-19C9-41A3-A0DA-CF36EE4021F9.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I'm thinking of buying this real McCoy's j100 from a private seller. Condition looks great but I wonder whether it has been altered. It looks like the body has been shortened (see stitching on the bottom hem towards the zipper).

Any owners who could confirm this is / isn't factory original?
View attachment 304312 View attachment 304313 View attachment 304314 View attachment 304315

That's definitely been shortened, there should be a lot more overhang below the end of the zipper (red in the pic), the corners are wrong and the bottom hem is wrong too.

jHOPAsP.jpg

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that what @Monitor is trying to say is that when starting in this hobby it is too easy to fixate on the numbers and to convince one self that "this jacket won't work, the measurements are wrong".
It's not that simple, some jackets can have the "right" measurements and fit wrong, some jackets can have the "wrong" measurements and fit right.
Untill you know what you want from a jacket and start understanding how each measurement influences fit AND looks, you are basically looking at measurements without really undestanding how they relate to anything.
IMO that can be hurtful and prevent you from trying on great jackets that could be a great fit.
The are a lot of unknown unknowns to learn about if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

I agree that as a beginner you should be trying on jackets and focusing on how they feel/look before you obsess too much about the numbers.
Although, data collection and establishing early what numbers are important for you and you rbody type is also very useful, just don't limit yourself because of numbers.

So well said Carlos. This is what we all learn if we stick with this hobby. Most beginners are looking for perfection and do not realize how many jackets they just may enjoy.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice. Or to put it in ordinary language, fine stitching creates tight perforations. Perforations like this tear. Or at least in theory they might.

Personally I am not obsessed with jacket stitching, fineness or neatness. A too well made jacket may be some kind of craft triumph, but sometimes this aesthetic reminds me of blues music that is too perfectly produced - too clean, too precise and lacking character.

That last sentence is true and magnificent. Well said analogy.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's definitely been shortened, there should be a lot more overhang below the end of the zipper (red in the pic), the corners are wrong and the bottom hem is wrong too.

jHOPAsP.jpg
Thnx for the feedback. This confirms my suspicion. The seller said he doesn't know about any alterations but he also just told me the back length on this j100 is 24.8' which is definitively shorter than a stock size 42.

€400 seemed like a great deal but with this (sloppy) alteration, the jacket is worthless to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto