Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Looks very much like a 1930s Bay Area jacket. Ralphs-Pugh, Block, Golden Bear, Peters, etc all made jackets in this style. It was the Style. Considered a motorcycle jacket or Police Jacket in that era. All these Bay Area makers knew who was making what, so it was just the style of day, especially the styling of the front pocket.

Belt loops were added/subtracted as needed even if they don't seem to fit. Typically added for Police work to an existing MC jacket.

They could well have an identical original, not a mash-up. It would not surprise me they have copied this jacket from an original late 30s Golden Bear jacket,.

If they don't have the original it is a make up of Bay area jackets from the later 30s. Looks like an original with that label.

Look on the Japanese websites and you will see the Bay Area originals. They have or had them all. They can re-produce them so accurately because they own, or have access to the original jacket.

Nice they do this because that original would be near impossible to find
Thank you for this! The knowledge you posses amazing!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would also keep it as is. It doesn't look bad. Vintage jackets that has unzip pockets looks like that. Rock yours with the vintage style!
Adding a zipper now is doable but needs surgery, and there is always a small risk in cosmetic surgery.
View attachment 412445
For sale

Attachments

• i-img360x480-1611301868kajmv5107225.jpg
    i-img360x480-1611301868kajmv5107225.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 66
I almost went for this Schott 618 (advertised)
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 3.51.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 3.52.18 PM.png
but I ended up not doing it because I had my doubts...
It looks a lot like a Golden Bear....
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.16.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.16.13 PM.png
any thoughts or info on what this Schott is?

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I almost went for this Schott 618 (advertised)
View attachment 412708
View attachment 412709
but I ended up not doing it because I had my doubts...
It looks a lot like a Golden Bear....
View attachment 412710
View attachment 412711
any thoughts or info on what this Schott is?
It's definitely not a 618. But there's not much money in forging Schotts. You can regularly find twice worn ones for more than 50% off sticker. So it's most likely a Schott of some sort.

I remember a couple models that had the laces. I had a Per3, real nice jacket, collab with Barneys that was D pocket and side laces. And I think 115 had laces, more like the style you posted if I remember.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
For sale

OMG! Size works too! I swear every time I need to reign in the spending, awesome stuff comes up, like this and the GW in classified. Every time. I am cursed.
Thanks for the tip though. Now my internal struggles begins...

It’s a legitimate Schott. Don’t recall the model number (5xxs?). Not uncommon. Not a currently made jacket. Not vintage.

All I got.

When I see the style I do think GB or Schott. I like it.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
OMG! Size works too! I swear every time I need to reign in the spending, awesome stuff comes up, like this and the GW in classified. Every time. I am cursed.
Thanks for the tip though. Now my internal struggles begins...

I've looked at this jacket many times.

Label first used in 1938. This jacket appears to have an original Talon sunrise zipper, dating 1938-1942. RP had several variations on this map pocket/front configuration., all of them are interesting. The lining is such a plus. RP jackets from this era seldom come up for sale. I have one older and several from the 50s. In fact I just bought a 50s jacket today.

MrProper

Question about halfbelt jackets.
In many pictures I think I see that the halfbelt of these jackets sits rather an inch above the waist.
I would have assumed that the halfbelt is correctly at waist level.
What is correct?

Aloysius

This is a 125, the removable-belt sibling of the 118/618 which retained the cinch setup of the Schott/Beck 999.

@handymike There's what seems to be a new old stock one of these at ~ $500 right now in a sale Ton linked.

HarryLime

Familiar Face
Which current makers make a D-pocket specifically like this, with the more "oddly" shaped pocket? This one is the FCL Graham, but what other options are there?

39a6b2aaa41ffcb24f9f0afda5696b79.jpg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Which current makers make a D-pocket specifically like this, with the more "oddly" shaped pocket? This one is the FCL Graham, but what other options are there?

View attachment 416262
try looking for aviator style. they tend to have the more ornate pocket.

Also, Schott has a really cool one with a very OG style liner and it's on sale right now. Really tempting. I tried one on at the LA store few months back.

1649195395679.png

Blackadder

View attachment 416262

Off the rack
Westride (I believe discontinued but you can still find old stock at some stores)

MTO
Norshor

Bill Kelso can make one
Rumour is they make the Block Bilt but I don't think Block Bilt is still around.

Aloysius

View attachment 416262

The Schott PER28 (the big sale on it applies even when ordering an out of stock size) or this Aero whose name I don’t know. Greg Field does one too. All of these would be better options than FCL imo.

jeo

One Too Many

View attachment 416262

You're not going to find one with that exact shape, but here are a few options of unique D-pocket designs.

Johnson Bros
m20396878707_2.jpg

Mushmans Daredevil
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 6.49.20 PM.png

Sugar Cane
sugar-cane-mens-heavy-weight-sc80435-leather-black-horsehide-aviator-jacket-with-full-zip-fron...jpg

Westride
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 6.53.17 PM.png

Cidu
O1CN01Gq3I7f27k1PzQsMA0_!!329797834.jpg

Tenjin Works
s-l500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ